Author Topic: Baby Steps with DBs  (Read 7180 times)

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
Baby Steps with DBs
« on: December 17, 2007, 10:45:27 PM »
It is of Great interest to me when I take baby steps with DBs. :-)
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

daron

Re: Baby Steps with DBs
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 04:16:56 PM »
If I can remember and get the time, I'll see if I have any good ones at home for you to disect.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 05:06:20 PM »
If I can remember and get the time, I'll see if I have any good ones at home for you to disect.
Thanks, I was not looking for anything but thanks none the less.
I am creating a DB for casework and I was remarking about how I create them.  Very small steps. 

• Add an action
  • save it
  • jump out to a test drawing
  • insert revised block
  • test it,
  • realized it does not do what I want it to do
  • go back fixed it by educated guess
  • save it
  • jump out to the test drawing
  • insert revised block
  • test it,
  • realized it still does not do what I want it to do
  • keep repeating steps until is does do what I want it to do.
  • Then added the next action and repeat the process.

I find it very interesting thats all.  I went to bed at 11 when the flip was flipping out.  I have not had a chance to get back to it.  This will be the last action for the geometry and then it is going to try a field within the DB

daron

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 08:33:49 PM »
Really, what you should do (and your way is a good way to start), is determine what actions need to be taken, then what parameters should be set, then how many actions will be linked to one parameter, etc. Then set up all the parameters at once, place actions selecting the objects that need to move with this action, etc. Here's a block to dissect. Hopefully, it will give you some ideas.

whdjr

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 07:46:14 AM »
Thanks, I was not looking for anything but thanks none the less.
I am creating a DB for casework and I was remarking about how I create them.  Very small steps. 

• Add an action
  • save it
  • insert revised block
  • test it,
  • realized it does not do what I want it to do
  • go back fixed it by educated guess
  • save it
  • jump out to the test drawing
  • insert revised block
  • test it,
  • realized it still does not do what I want it to do
  • keep repeating steps until is does do what I want it to do.
  • Then added the next action and repeat the process.

I find it very interesting thats all.  I went to bed at 11 when the flip was flipping out.  I have not had a chance to get back to it.  This will be the last action for the geometry and then it is going to try a field within the DB

Hey Krushert, read this

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 08:34:00 AM »
Hey Krushert, read this
I like sweet very sweet.  Thanks

Really, what you should do (and your way is a good way to start), is determine what actions need to be taken, then what parameters should be set, then how many actions will be linked to one parameter, etc. Then set up all the parameters at once, place actions selecting the objects that need to move with this action, etc. Here's a block to dissect. Hopefully, it will give you some ideas.
That is the problem.  I don't know the behaviors and oddities of the parameters and/or actions because this is like my (i dont know) 8th or 9th DB.  Heck I am using a Flip for the first time.  I figuring it out (and they are easy to figure out) with baby steps thats all. 

Thanks for the block.  Warming plate that big.  Are you in the hospitably business?

daron

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 09:09:34 AM »
Thanks for the block.  Warming plate that big.  Are you in the hospitably business?
Well, I just called it platewarmer. It's really one of those tables that you get plates, cups, silverware from when you're at a buffet. It was for a pizza restaurant. I no longer work for that company and am sure they don't even know of that blocks existence, as I never introduced it to them. I had two sizes to work with, so needed two blocks and didn't want to just use the visibility parameters. That was a learning tool for me. That's one of the first DBlocks I ever created.

Kate M

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 05:43:32 PM »
  • Add an action
  • save it
  • insert revised block
  • test it,

I like to keep my blocks in a "container" drawing -- with tool palettes, they don't all need to be separate files any more. This eliminates your steps 3 and 4...

CottageCGirl

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 11:49:58 AM »

D- cant open this...can you save it down to 2005...we just found out that we MIGHT..upgrade to 2008, so I finally will get to make DB's!

daron

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 01:17:17 PM »
Unless someone... actually, if I save it down to 2005, you won't be able to use it as a dynamic block, I would think. When you upgrade you should be able to open it. If you still want it as 2005, I'll have to do it later tonight as I am using 2006 here at work. If someone else wants to fix it before then, that will be fine with me, too.

whdjr

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 08:03:34 AM »
Unless someone... actually, if I save it down to 2005, you won't be able to use it as a dynamic block, I would think. When you upgrade you should be able to open it. If you still want it as 2005, I'll have to do it later tonight as I am using 2006 here at work. If someone else wants to fix it before then, that will be fine with me, too.

I don't think there would be a problem with the dwg file because '04, '05, & '06 are all the same format; however the base coding for DBs wasn't in Autocad prior to '06 so I'm not real sure how they would react.  It would be interesting for someone to try.