Author Topic: How does one keep a flip centered on a stretch?  (Read 5927 times)

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
How does one keep a flip centered on a stretch?
« on: December 20, 2007, 08:03:14 PM »
I have a base cabinet.  I got all three stetches going nicely, height stretch, width stretch, the a width centering stretch.

I then added the flip.  the Flips flips.  The flips works as desired before the width strecth and after the width strecth.

What crashes is when I un-stretch after the flip.  The width centering stretch don't un-stretch Boss. 
It gets all weird with googly eyes.  At times I think it morphing into a Growly Gus.
Sorry it was the beer talking.

Any ideas.  I think it is becuase I added the flip to the width centering stretch.  It was not working before I added it, so I added it the width centering stretch and works great until I go to un-stretch.  So if you can't nest actions then how do you propose I get around it.

I have attached the block
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 08:08:52 PM by Krushert »
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

whdjr

Re: How does one keep a flip centered on a stretch?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 08:37:14 AM »
You have a dilemma here Krushert.  I have come across this issue and haven't found a way to resolve it.  Look at one of my cabinet blocks.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 10:55:33 AM »
You have a dilemma here Krushert.  I have come across this issue and haven't found a way to resolve it.  Look at one of my cabinet blocks.
How so?  You are flip hinge indicator and I flipping a more geometry.  But it the same action or procedure.  I found another block and the author is flipping the whole cabinet about the center.  Leave it me to screw it up good.

I am trying to use a field within an attribute and that is not working properly. I will post the question later.

daron

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 09:54:34 AM »
K, The simplest way I've found to fix your problem is to set a base point parameter to your insertion point, then erase your flip action, and reset it selecting every object, parameter and action. I don't know if this is most desirable, but it does work.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 11:00:26 AM »
Daron,

I think I did that.  I did something before the break and it seem to work but I can't recall if I throughly tested it.  I am going to get back to it.  We do a lot of medical projects and there is lot of case work elevations. So I need to make robust and error free.   Our (I am sorry to say) errors come from showing one width of cabinet but calling out something different.  Combination of "Speed Kills" and not having the time to check properly.  The field I am hoping will eliminate that error.  Keeping my fingers cross.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 02:18:51 PM »
After much screaming, kicking, hair pulling, eye gouging and pulling noses, I think think I got it to work.  getting the Flip to behave after being stretch was the worst.  But after looking at a block over on AUGI, I did what they did.  Select everything to flip when I just need two objects to flip.  Doesn't make a lot sense.  :ugly:

Pleas check it out, test it and comment on it where it needs improvement. I really need this to be one tough cookie.

Thanks  :-)

whdjr

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 07:52:56 AM »
Well...it doesn't work as expected, but if your happy ....

If you stretch, then flip, then stretch again it doesn't keep the original basepoint; it keeps moving the geometry to the right.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 08:02:53 AM »
Well...it doesn't work as expected, but if your happy ....

If you stretch, then flip, then stretch again it doesn't keep the original base point; it keeps moving the geometry to the right.
That is what I hate about it.  I have to flip everything.  I would love to keep the base point in one place but I was pulling my hair out over this flip until I gave in to the machine.  I open to ideas.

whdjr

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 08:05:38 AM »
As I stated earlier I haven't found a solution either and I know of a lot of people also looking for this solution.  I don't think one currently exists.  Sorry  :cry:

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 08:09:39 AM »
As I stated earlier I haven't found a solution either and I know of a lot of people also looking for this solution.  I don't think one currently exists.  Sorry  :cry:
I know.  But What I really wanted out the DB was the Field that showed it width.

Will,
Can you (or someone) tell me the pros and cons of using Attribute with a field vs a dimension in the DB?  I see Dimensions a lot but the Creator of the DB had to create a separate dimension style.  Seems like a lot of work to me.
Thanks,

whdjr

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 09:00:10 AM »
Actually I prefer dimensions to attributes when trying to show a length.  Check out this locker block I made with a dim style to count the number of lockers.  It was way easier this way and I didn't have to regen to get the field to update.  The thing to remember with the dim style is to make totally unique to that block.