Author Topic: Plotting problem  (Read 3345 times)

ELOQUINTET

Plotting problem
« on: December 12, 2007, 01:49:52 PM »
We are having a problem here at our office. When a computer is reformatted more often than not all of the printers are not installed right away. The drafter begins working then prints and get an update pc3 file message because they do not have the printer installed which is referenced by the page setup. In a perfect world IT would install all of the printers but this is not a perfect world. So what I am wondering is is there anyway that I could disable the plot and publish commands if printers of given names are not found on the computer. Maybe someone else has other ideas but I need to figure out some way of preventing my plotting from getting screwed every month because of this.

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
Re: Plotting problem
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 02:37:30 PM »
you could use a Begin Command in VBA and check for the pc3 files
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 03:08:27 PM »
Sorry but I have to.

We are having a problem here at our office. When a computer is reformatted more often than not all of the printers are not installed right away.
**Snip**
 I need to figure out some way of preventing my plotting from getting screwed every month because of this.

How about trying to not reformat your computer every month.

I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 04:59:15 PM »
well this isn't the only cause of the problem but one of the contributing factors. i'm not formatting mine every month and i was exaggrerating about but we are reformatting one computer or another fairly often. i'm not sure how to apply the command method but it sounds like a good in theory.

pmvliet

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 05:06:44 PM »
Here are some thoughts that come to mind.

Have the IT build the printers into their image for the reloads.
Does your company have different offices and thus lots of different system printers?
This would be most ideal unless you have many offices and system printers.

Another option would be to get away from system printers.
Where I use to work, our Toledo office had upwards of 100+/- printers/plotters and the goal was to
print only via system printers. Needless to say, it got overwhelming very quick. And that was only
one office, at the time, we have about 12...

I developed a printing script that would keep all the printers (PC3 files) in the background
that the users didn't have to use to print/plot dialog box to print unless it was a one-off type
of print. This was also nice because it would not save page layouts to specific printers.
Imagine going to plot and the current layout was set to a plotter in the California office and
bandwidth was marginal at best... (it would take 20+ minutes to open as it was trying to connect
to that darn plotter)

Another thought is I am not sure if you would be able to load system printers via lisp, vba, .net etc...

Pieter

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 05:15:01 PM »
If the printers are networked (installed on server) have the "IT guys" ad something to map the printers at logon (assuming you're on a domain).

http://www.ss64.com/nt/net_use.html

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 12:04:45 PM »
i have already spoken with them about doing some scripts to automatically map network drives. I believe these printers are networked but don't know if they are willing to do this. Let me illustrate my point: i went down to talk to the it guy about connecting all cad users to all the plotter and i was asked to install autocad for the head it guy. then he proceeded to ask me to connect him to the printer in our department. i looked over at him and the other 2 it guys sitting there on their asses and shook my head. i then came up and told this story to my boss and she said well they are not really obligated to handle autocad related issues. my reply was didn't i just go down there to request them to connect all users to the printers. i said we need to support eachother and i am getting very little from them. i feel like i'm paying child support while my ex wife is spending it on crack

pmvliet

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »
i have already spoken with them about doing some scripts to automatically map network drives. I believe these printers are networked but don't know if they are willing to do this. Let me illustrate my point: i went down to talk to the it guy about connecting all cad users to all the plotter and i was asked to install autocad for the head it guy. then he proceeded to ask me to connect him to the printer in our department. i looked over at him and the other 2 it guys sitting there on their asses and shook my head. i then came up and told this story to my boss and she said well they are not really obligated to handle autocad related issues. my reply was didn't i just go down there to request them to connect all users to the printers. i said we need to support eachother and i am getting very little from them. i feel like i'm paying child support while my ex wife is spending it on crack

Yeah, I love IT guys that have that attitude. Been there, done that and I've never learned how to deal with them. I just usually find another way to get around the situation. It boggles my mind why different groups within the same organization will not help each other out. IT people are support personnel for the most part and do not bring in money unless it is an IT service company.  OK, that is another story/Rant/Vent...

Not sure what else to suggest...

Pieter