Author Topic: 2d views from 3d  (Read 2989 times)

Luke

2d views from 3d
« on: December 12, 2007, 02:09:16 PM »
I seem to remember back in maybe '95 so R12 perhaps...  we were taught a way to create a 3d item and then through some command acad would generate the top front and side views.  I think it created viewports and additional layers per viewport or something of that nature.  Sound familiar, ringing any bells?  Is that same feature available in 2006.

We are using full version vanilla 06.  I know my neighbor who is using Mechanical Desktop is doing it. 

Thanks,
Luke

Josh Nieman

Re: 2d views from 3d
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 02:14:18 PM »
Well if you're going to use viewports, then why not just create different views looking at the 3d model, rather than creating unlinked 2D geometry that doesn't update when the model changes?

If for some reason that doesn't work for your circumstance, I believe what you're looking for is SOLPROF.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 02:15:10 PM »
SOLVIEW/SOLDRAW could also work.

Back when I had to use solprof to work around some quirks and problems, I found it easier to just create a vport, set the view as I wanted it, then use "solprof" to give me the 2d geometry I need, then freeze all other layers.

deegeecees

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 02:17:34 PM »
Do yourself a favor, and look up SOLVIEW in the Help files, it'll explain (most) everything you need to know.

Luke

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 02:38:05 PM »
Yes I do draw it 3d the setup viewports for the relevant 2d views so it is all looking at the proper and linked geometry.  I just happend to think of what I learned way back when and couldn't remember the command.  SOLVIEW.  Thanks!

Josh Nieman

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 02:40:24 PM »
Can I ask out of curiosity, though, why you don' just dimension the 3d parts as-is, and set your viewports to "HIDDEN" plot style?

Luke

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 02:50:58 PM »
That is what i do I just happened to think of the old way but couldn't remember.  It was curiosity and nothing else.