Author Topic: Automating Dimension Style  (Read 5589 times)

Luke

Automating Dimension Style
« on: December 12, 2007, 10:57:36 AM »
Not sure if this is the best place to post but I try here for starters.

Using Full Version Vanilla 2006.

I am trying to setup new templates, borders, text and dimension styles.

For the most part the way we draw is we do almost everything in model space. I draw my cabinet at 1:1.  Then I bring in my 11x17 title block (11x17).  I scale my title block up X times according to the necessary "Scale Factor".  

So if I need it to fit as 3/4" = 1' then I scale up my 1:1 Border 16 times.  I have created automation to insert my border and scale it up per the CAD Scale. 

In the past I created a Dimension style for each scale so that it showed up in the correct proportion to the scaled up or down border.  So that meant I had 15 different dimension styles to choose from. :-(  It was automated to also set the correct dim style when the border was inserted. 

So now we are trying to revamp what and how we are doing things.  I was thinking of creating 1 dimension style that would be at the same scale factor as my 1:1 border.  Then I could just adjust the dimscale to correspond with the CAD Scale to show up the same proportion.  I can also automate that so it happens when the border is inserted.  And I can create buttons to change to any dimscale at any time.

My question is this...  Can somebody tell me if it is possible (and maybe how to do it) but is it possible to do something like click a button to start the dimscale command, then click on the title block I want to work inside of, at which point it would read how many times that block has been scaled up and set the dimscale to match that scale factor.  What I'm trying to to is make it so my guys do not have to think about dimscale or scale factor or anything.  All they have to do is move to the title block they want to add dimensions or notes to and click on it and poof everything is set.

Am I making too much out of this?  Is there an easier or better way to do this. 

Thanks,
Luke

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
Re: Automating Dimension Style
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 11:07:29 AM »
IMO..If you are revamping what you are doing there, I would recommend looking into paperspace\viewports for your titleblock setup.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

deegeecees

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 11:12:37 AM »
Yes this is possible and has been done. There are companies in this world that do not use Pspace due to legacy data, as well as other reasons. I had to deal with this for a fairly large corp. and used the title blocks scale factor to determine the dimscale factor. This can be done through Lisp, or any other flavor. The problems I found I needed to deal with were uniform/standard scaling of the titleblock, and multiple insertions of the titleblock. Since you have suggested creating something in which the user selects the titleblock for input, the multiple insertion problem won't be an isssue. There are other applications to this sort of data retrieval as well, such as automation of text scaling, symbol insertion, etc.

How familiar are you with Lisp?

Luke

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 11:14:31 AM »
We use paper space and viewports when and as it is applicable and Necessary. 99% of our drawing is 2D.  No xrefs, nothing crazy.  We draw cabinetry.  More times than not the drawing has a part (maybe a cabinet door) drawn.  That is the only thing in the drawing.  using psper space and viewports is not effieient for some things like that.  Input noted and appreciated.  Mor interested in how to make these dimension styles and scales work right now.  And actually whatver I do here would be applicable to Paper Space also.

deegeecees

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 11:21:21 AM »
For starters you'll need the DXF group 41 code for the block you are going to be selecting.

Luke

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 11:22:52 AM »
The problems I found I needed to deal with were uniform/standard scaling of the titleblock, and multiple insertions of the titleblock
We will also have instances where we have multiple title blocks scaled at different sizes in 1 drawing (model space).  Will this be a problem?

Since you have suggested creating something in which the user selects the titleblock for input, the multiple insertion problem won't be an isssue
 Is there a better way to automate this than what I'm suggesting?

How familiar are you with Lisp?
No super.  Maybe enough to be dangerous or less.  I've created custom pull downs, I've created custom buttons, including the macros or scripts to make them work not just the image.  But I have done very little lisping and no AutoLisping.  This will be somewhat foreign to me so if there is a better way than Lisp t do it I'm open.

quamper

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 11:26:41 AM »
"using psper space and viewports is not effieient for some things like that"

yet you have to do all of this:

Then I bring in my 11x17 title block (11x17).  I scale my title block up X times according to the necessary "Scale Factor". 

So if I need it to fit as 3/4" = 1' then I scale up my 1:1 Border 16 times.  I have created automation to insert my border and scale it up per the CAD Scale.

Wow that would drive me crazy.

Is it not possible for you to continue to draw your cabinets at 1:1 dimension and everything in there. Then simply switch to paper space and set your scale factor to whatever you want it printed at? Unless I'm misunderstanding what your doing, it seems like its completely round about.

"Mor interested in how to make these dimension styles and scales work right now"

It's completely related if you do the process I'm talking about. I'd be happy to privately share a sample drawing with you that you can look at and see my dimension styles/paper space layout etc so that it makes more sense if you're interested.

Luke

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 11:39:48 AM »
Quamper,
your are right, the process I describes sounds like a lot (on paper) but it is all automated.  I click a pulldown and it does everything else for me.  However, I'm not opposed to learning or trying new things.  I do not know it all. 

Yes I would be interested in a private share.  How do we do that?

Another issue here is that I'm trying not to change things too much from how we currently do them or else my guys will complain, fight the process and not do it.

deegeecees

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 11:42:30 AM »
I guess the question here would be, do you want a quick fix, or a do you have the time/resources to do it "The right way".

quamper

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 11:45:41 AM »
How do we do that?

I'll pm you with the details and explain anything that you want me to clarify :D

sinc

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 11:47:43 AM »
There are companies in this world that do not use Pspace due to legacy data, as well as other reasons.

Can't use paperspace because of "legacy data"?  That's a good one.

From what I've seen, most people who claim to have no use for paperspace could simplify their lives immensely if they used it.  The only exception I've seen is people who use Autocad to machine parts, and send their design straight to a fabrication machine, rather than print them.  But if you print ANYTHING, paperspace is a wonderful tool.

It really gets better with 2008 and the introduction of Annotative Scales.  That whole functionality is still new and has some problems, but with 2008, Autocad is finally starting to work the way it always should have.  And it only took, what, 25 years or so?   :-D

Luke

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 11:54:13 AM »
I do not disagree with the perks of paerspace but the way we operate here modelspace is a very efficient way for us to draw.

See attached video to see partially how our setup currently works (it needs a lot of tweaking) but you get the picture right...

Notice how my dimension styles change when I insert the border. 

We draw 2d parts for our CNC.

quamper

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 11:59:45 AM »
"We draw 2d parts for our CNC."

I do too :D

Josh Nieman

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 12:05:17 PM »
"We draw 2d parts for our CNC."

I do too :D

Same here, the last job I had, and I found it so much easier to be able to export a dxf of everything in model space, if I had paperspace setup properly.  Having only the linework of the part in model space made it easier to export to our various machine programs for code generation.  Machining, NC Punching, lasering, everything.

But sorry, I guess I don't actually have anything to add about the OP :( ...sounds like you had a good thing going for you before the decision to revamp it.

deegeecees

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 12:27:55 PM »
Can't use paperspace because of "legacy data"?  That's a good one.

A large corporation with literally millions of drawings with data dating from pre-pspace era (as well as mutiiple Cad platforms, and raster data), and a Cad Mgr that wasn't familiar with it either. Most of the data was line work for substation development (Power Eng). I jumped aboard right in the middle of an already over budget project, so doing it the right way would not have been in the best interest of the project at hand.