Author Topic: Model Space vs Paper Space (C3D)  (Read 5696 times)

surveyor_randy

Model Space vs Paper Space (C3D)
« on: December 07, 2007, 03:01:41 PM »
I've got another question for you gurus here.  I am trying to get my text size to stay consistent, meaning, it will plot at the exact same size it is displayed in model space.  I move labels around and get everything in the position that I want it in model space, but when I go to paper space, the labels are always slightly larger then I am wanting.  Could someone kindly explain to me what is causing this difference and what I would need to do inorder to achieve the results that I am wanting.  Have a GREAT weekend everyone!

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Model Space vs Paper Space (C3D)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 03:05:37 PM »
You want to set your Text Styles to ANNOTATIVE.

Then in your label styles select this style for your labels to use.
Be sure to set your vieport annotative scale accordingly and all should be well.

There is another topic here somewhere where we went through this here http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=19926.0
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

scout

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 05:53:31 PM »
c3d label text or dtext/mtext?

surveyor_randy

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 06:57:51 PM »
C3D label text.  What is frustrating me is that my text looks perfect in the model space with annotation scale at 1" = 60'.  No labels are touching or lying on top of each other.  When I go into paperspace and create a viewport.  No matter what size I decide to scale the viewport, I would like to have the text size stay consistent with how it appears in model space.  And for the life of me, I cannot seem to make that happen.

I tried setting a text style to annotative and then made each label style annotative as well but I still get odd results in paper space.  I almost would like the text size to appear 'static' as it is in model space when I zoom in or zoom out.

If I have my annotation scale set at 1" = 60' in model space, and then I draw a rectangular box 1440' x 2160' (to represent a 24" x 36" plot), I would like the results in a paperspace viewport to plot and appear identical to what is inside the rectangle.  Label size appearance, etc..  I am still up here at the office playing around with it.  Not that I have a deadline or any project, I am just trying to figure this out now so I won't be stuck working with it later.

surveyor_randy

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 07:10:16 PM »
Also, after playing around with the annotation scale and VP scale in paper space, I can get it to appear the way that I want it to, but as soon as I go to plot it, or do a plot preview, the text resets itself to a size that I don't want (which is always larger) then what I am aiming for.

Dinosaur

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 10:35:21 PM »
What is the project scale setting in your drawing?  The default from any supplied templates is 40.  If you need a 60 scale drawing this should be set to 60 for labels to act the way you wish under most conditions.

numa

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 01:19:12 AM »
how much 'larger' are things going are we talking 20% or like 2400%?

surveyor_randy

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 11:33:09 AM »
Hmmmm....  maybe I'm not 'splaining it properly!  :-)

If you draw a rectangle, then put some COGO points on the corners of it and have your drawing scale (annotation scale) set to 1" = 60', notice the size of the text in relation to the linework, regardless of how far you zoom out or zoom in, the text size is consistant in relation to the line work, it scales down and scales up with the line work.  Now go into paperspace, create a viewport and try to plot the viewport at 1" = 100', the text size changes and becomes larger.  What I am trying to do, is label everything in model space and have the text size stay exactly the same.  I notice that my label size changes by changing the annotation scale in model space.  It just happens to look perfect at 1" = 60' right now, but my drawing will not fit on a 24" x 36" at 1" = 60', so I'd like to plot it at 1" = 100 but leave the label size alone.  If I change the annotation scale (drawing scale) in model space, it scales the labels up.  If I create a viewport at 1" = 100', it is scaling the labels up and I don't want that.  Geez, maybe I am dense but I just cannot figure it out.

surveyor_randy

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 12:46:46 PM »
Ooopsss...  I forgot the files...  :roll:

scout

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 03:03:21 PM »
this is one of those things that is so hard to understand in written life, so forgive me if i am missing your point.

i wrote an article about civil3d label text and how it behaves that might clear things up.

you will have to quickly register for our site- it's free. I'd paste the good parts in here so you could avoid that, but it is very image intensive article.

basically, i think what you are experiencing is expected behavior. the text size will _literally_ remain the same regardless of viewport scale.

again, forgive me if i am misunderstanding.

http://www.civil3d.com/2006/08/the-miracle-and-reality-of-civil-3d-label-text-sizing/

sinc

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 04:15:21 PM »
The basic idea is that when you define a style that says the text should be 0.10" high when plotted on paper, C3D does what it needs to in order to make it print out at 0.10".

If you want the text to print smaller, you need to use styles that are defined to use a smaller text height.

numa

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 03:27:05 AM »
email me a for instance thenuma@gmail.com

surveyor_randy

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 03:49:02 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.  So I guess that I am going to be stuck having a bunch of different label styles with different plot sizes.  I was kind of hoping that using an annotative style would help me out here, but I guess not.

Dinosaur

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 10:19:29 PM »
It shouldn't have to mean that at all, Randy.  It still sounds like a mismatch of some kind with your drawing scale and the scale you want to plot to.  Normal behavior for Civil 3D is to display your labels in the model tab at whatever scale you have set in the drawing settings tab in toolspace (I am assuming now that you have this set to 60) and plot to the the paper space text height specified in the label composer through whatever viewport scale you need for a 1:1 plot in a layout tab.  With a non-annotative text style in your label this will return the odd placement of the labels you are seeing because the space required is different when you plot to different scales within the same drawing.  I have found that an annotative text style in the labels improves this condition.
I have not had occasion to mess with the annotation scale settings, but before I would start building a whole new set of label styles I would try setting it to 60 in that layout tab.  If that doesn't work, there may be some trickery we can pull with the plotting to get the desired result.