Author Topic: Watershed Delineation  (Read 1972 times)

mt_philly

Watershed Delineation
« on: December 06, 2007, 05:07:37 PM »
Short and sweet...I want to run a reverse water drop.

The details...is it possible to calculate the watershed to a particular location that is not the bottom of the basin. My watershed covers over 15,000 acres and the proposed bridge loc is in the middle of a sub-basin. i created my surface from USGS DEMs and ran a watershed delineation. I then manually combined all the sub-basins and delineated the lower portion of the basin to exclude the areas that drain downstream of the bridge loc.

Shouldn't I be able to say "here's a point on my surface; calc the watershed to this point" in Land Desktop, or is there a way and I'm just missing it?

LDT 2007, Civil Design 2007 (and Civil 3D 2007, but dragging my feet on that one).

Thanks in advance!

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Watershed Delineation
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 06:24:43 PM »
one might try a HIDE boundary around your area of interest, then the watershed should limit itself to this area of interest

in C3d, an outer boundary
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

mt_philly

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 05:31:16 PM »
Sorry, I'm not understanding why that would work (using the bridge footprint as a hide bndry), but I tried it and ended up fatal erroring out when I tried to import the watershed boundaries - twice - aarrrgh...so frustrating.  I had another suggestion from another forum - creating a volume surface and running a waterdrop on that - will give that a go and see what I end up with.

Thanks helping me work thru this!

Judy

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 05:57:13 PM »

I thought Jeff Paulsen's solution was pretty good.
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.