Author Topic: Setup and Debugging with VS2008Express for AC2008  (Read 8958 times)

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
Re: Setup and Debugging with VS2008Express for AC2008
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2007, 07:11:08 AM »
You're Welcome Chuck. I appreciate the comment.

I'll now tell the full story ..
I'm due to set someone's system up on the weekend ( and lend a couple of books )
.. so I figured if I document this I'd save some mucking around on the weekend ( by being SURE about the settings).

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Chuck Gabriel

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2007, 07:29:05 AM »
Well I'm happy to be able to benefit from your enlightened self interest. :D

FengK

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2007, 05:53:32 PM »
Now for the Template.

Copy the Zip intact (unzipped) where shown.
Start a new Project .. the template should be there

Thanks Kerry. I made minor changes for it to work with AutoCAD 2007. Zip file attached. Tested with a HelloWorld program and it seems to be working.

sinc

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 08:27:41 PM »
From the thread title, I thought they had added Setup projects and Debugging to VS Express.  But I take it that's not the case.  If you still have to setup the debugging manually, I'm guessing the Setup projects are still missing, too...

What does "pdbonly" mean?

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 08:50:50 PM »
Hello Richard,

Yep, has to be setup manually, still.
If the xxx.csproj in the template has pdbonly set the onlt thing that needs to be revised is the ,user file ( simple cut and paste, as you know.)

I found the pdbonly info here:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8cw0bt21(VS.80).aspx
full | pdbonly
Specifies the type of debugging information generated by the compiler. The full argument, which is in effect if you do not specify /debug:pdbonly, enables attaching a debugger to the running program. Specifying pdbonly allows source code debugging when the program is started in the debugger but will only display assembler when the running program is attached to the debugger.

To a certain extent it was a matter of groping around in the dark to find a solution, but this seems to work.

I'm interested in getting feedback either way :)

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

SomeCallMeDave

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2007, 06:02:36 PM »
Kerry,
Thanks for sharing.   I am finally taking the C# plunge and these posts helped me get started (or re-started).

I tried to write a little script that would netload the 'calling' dll during debug, but xxx.cproj.user barks when I try to put in command line arguments for acad.exe.

So I tried a .bat file but that didn't work either.

I know netloading the dll isn't a huge burden, but I was thinking there should be a way to automate it.  Any ideas?

sinc

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2007, 01:34:18 AM »
Use your ACAD.LSP file to netload the dll.

SomeCallMeDave

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007, 07:46:53 AM »
Sinc,
I could do that, but I would like the dll from the current C# project to be loaded from the IDE for debugging only.  Since the IDE knows the dll name and location, and starts AutoCAD, I was thinking it (the IDE) should be able to netload the dll.

But CSharpBird beat me to a solutionin this thread http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=20401.0