Author Topic: Carbon Fibre profile circle count  (Read 3498 times)

hornet

Carbon Fibre profile circle count
« on: November 27, 2007, 12:19:59 PM »
Hi Everyone

Pultrusions are glass fibre or carbon fibre structural sections, produced by pulling the fibres through a shaped die.
The fibres are very small 0.011", 0.3mm or smaller, they can be bigger, however the profiles can be very large.

What I am looking for is something similar to Autocad 2005 Garden Path lisp program.
The profile has a polyline boundary which gets filled with very small circles, which the user give it's diameter, it does not matter if the edge of the circle crosses over the boundary, in real life this does not happen.
The all the circles are added up to give a minimum amount of circles/fibres required of that particular shaped profile, this figure can then be used to price up the cost of the fibres and the die.

At the moment I am using superhatch to fill the profile with the circles, then exploding it, this gives me the circles inside the profile, be it in rows and columns, which is not the really true as the fibres/circles would actually follows the boundary.

The extremely boring part of all this is adding up "each" circle to get the amount of fibres that are required, then someone changes the profile and I have to start again, the last time this happened I was up to 985 circles and that was on a small profile measuring 4"x 1/4", 100x6.

Can anyone point me to a program that can help me with this design process, please.

many thanks

Hornet

deegeecees

Re: Carbon Fibre profile circle count
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 12:29:20 PM »
I'd use the Garden Path, but change the parameters you need. This way it'll be a teacher for you.