Author Topic: Awesome Error when Installing Inventor 11  (Read 5124 times)

Josh Nieman

Awesome Error when Installing Inventor 11
« on: November 19, 2007, 09:53:15 AM »
And by Awesome I mean "LOL WHAT!?"

Josh Nieman

Re: Awesome Error when Installing Inventor 11
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 09:54:09 AM »
I killed explorer.exe, allowed the install to continue, and then used task manager to start up explorer.exe directly afterwards... but seriously... most people aren't computer literate enough to do that simple thing... is this NORMAL?

M-dub

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 10:07:13 AM »
That's scary...

Josh Nieman

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 10:14:30 AM »
heh... then I get a blue screen... luckily it was AFTER it installed the entirety of Inventor 11.  Also, before the restart had even initiated explorer.exe the Inventor Install Manager began up right where it left off, which was particularly awesome.  No problems from then on out except for a horde of suspicious "Unable to write value (x) to key" where x was a random integer, and the error happened like 20 times and all I could really do was hit 'ignore'.

Of course I can't activate the product due to an error that says I have no internet connection.

Yes.. that's right.. I just posted to the internet that Autodesk thinks I have no internet connection.

(probably just a misguided error because of their maintanence downtime... they could have at least made it error out in a more explanatory way for those of the world that don't read Shaan Hurley's blog from time to time.)

Josh Nieman

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 10:20:05 AM »
First thing I do in Inventor... and it brings back memories of my most annoying memory of the program... this popup /error/ so to speak...

Note... this is the FIRST thing I've done in Inventor... was open a file that had never been opened before on this computer, that was sent to me from a client.

Also, how can changes be made to a file SINCE the last save?  If it wasn't saved after the changes were made, then how do you know changes were made?  Let alone, how do you know ANYTHING that's happened on my computer, Inventor?  You're FIVE MINUTES OLD.

M-dub

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 10:25:28 AM »
I don't know, but you should get your tinfoil hat on... and fast!

quicksilver

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 10:29:58 AM »
The error means that a part file was changed in between opening the assembly or the parts are in a different location from the last time the assembly was open.  iParts are notorious for this.  As for the error about reregistering that seems to come up if you run a different version of Inventor and then start a different one. ie IV 10 and then IV 11

Josh Nieman

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 10:43:52 AM »
The error means that a part file was changed in between opening the assembly or the parts are in a different location from the last time the assembly was open.  iParts are notorious for this.  As for the error about reregistering that seems to come up if you run a different version of Inventor and then start a different one. ie IV 10 and then IV 11

ah HA... that makes a bit of sense.  If the save date of the assembly is older than the save date of a part file... that would make good sense.  I just remember that the window seemed to pop up -every- time when opening something, regardless of saving the assembly after an update, and reopening it... but I'm rusty with Inventor... we just got some files from a client (unfortunately no .dwg'ss or .idw's) and I need to make some quick ref. drawings for the guy working on it.

quicksilver

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 02:21:13 PM »
Glad I could help.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 02:27:10 PM »
Glad I could help.

Such simple solutions... the place I used Inventor at restricted internet access to all computers except the boss, the sales guys, and one public computer.  Well everyone always STARED at the public computer that was always up front when someone was on it, like they were evoking the light at the end of the tunnel or something.. (What's so important that HE needs to use the internet computer?) that no one usually used it unless there was no alternative.

I tried expressing that peer support for technical issues can often save HOURS and HOURS of trouble in a single SESSION, but they just replied "Well you should be able to just do your job.  If you aren't trained to handle these problems then maybe we should find someone else"  ...they also wouldn't shell out cash for training... it was a real "sink or swim" situation... and no one knew how to swim anyways.

I vividly recall that a couple of the designers spent vast amounts of time trying to troubleshoot that very error popup to find out if it were a symptom of a larger problem, what they can do to solve it, prevent it, etc... and to no avail.

Funny how it was solved in a single second (I got it to open files without the popup now by a series of resaving and updating in the proper order) on a single "oh btw" comment, that wasn't even the aim of my post...

I'm so glad my employers recognize the benefits of good support groups.

quicksilver

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 03:02:01 PM »
Any sufficiently complicated program even word at times can stump the best of us.  Someone somewhere has usually been there and done that.  Just ask if there is anything else, I might be able to help.

JDMather

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 08:23:29 PM »
The first warning box you posted is typical when more than one release of Inventor has been installed on a machine, say r10 & 11 or a Beta and r2008.  Some combination of releases. Simply click OK to update the registry.