Author Topic: SIMD SSE,SSE2  (Read 2108 times)

It's Alive!

• BricsCAD
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
SIMD SSE,SSE2
« on: September 20, 2007, 01:41:24 PM »

<nerd>
Just wondering if anyone has used SSE/SSE2 instructions in there ARX (or other) programs.
To me, itís seems that Cad programs could really benefit by strategically using these new processor features.
</nerd>

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
Re: SIMD SSE,SSE2
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 01:45:32 PM »

<nerd>
Just wondering if anyone has used SSE/SSE2 instructions in there ARX (or other) programs.
To me, itís seems that Cad programs could really benefit by strategically using these new processor features.
</nerd>

their

It's Alive!

• BricsCAD
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 01:52:55 PM »

<nerd>
</nerd>

their

DoH!
them thar

MickD

• Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out)
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 06:27:27 PM »
The problem is if you use those instructions the code won't run on a machine without them, while a lot of processors may have them there is still a chance that someone is using a processor without them. A case of reliability and easy maintenance over speed I'd guess.
On the other hand OS's could be written to take advantage of them when available for graphics and other computations as they are written very close to the machine, the OS could then load particular kernels after discovering what hardware is available.
Forth is like the Tao: it is a Way, and is realized when followed.
Its fragility is its strength; its simplicity is its direction - Michael Ham

Lao Tzu: ďTo attain knowledge, add things
every day; to obtain wisdom, remove things every day.Ē

It's Alive!

• BricsCAD
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 11:56:02 PM »
The problem is if you use those instructions the code won't run on a machine without them, while a lot of processors may have them there is still a chance that someone is using a processor without them. A case of reliability and easy maintenance over speed I'd guess.
On the other hand OS's could be written to take advantage of them when available for graphics and other computations as they are written very close to the machine, the OS could then load particular kernels after discovering what hardware is available.

Yeah thatís always a problem with CPU advancements, how to support legacy hardware/software.
This is one area where I had thought the .NET framework would come through, the Jitter would
compile in specific processor optimizations (As advertised), but in fact it doesnít.
So in the end these technologies that could possibly make some CAD operations x16+ faster are not used for the sake of compatibility.