Author Topic: Autodesk Viz  (Read 4690 times)

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
Autodesk Viz
« on: November 14, 2007, 02:02:27 PM »
do we have any Viz users here that might be able to lend a hand?  I have never used Viz, and I got a trial disk and want to see what I can do with it, but dont know where to start.
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

hendie

Re: Autodesk Viz
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 03:54:09 AM »
I think there's a few of us here. Excellent program and quite fun to use, once you get past the initial "wtf am I dealing with here ?".
start asking away

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 07:42:07 AM »
begin with the command panel
or contact me
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 07:50:02 AM »
most of the create object command sequences are a(n) x pick, y pick, and a z (size/extrude) pick.
That or use the axis constraint locks toggels for direct keying of sizes IF you know them.
Play with lofting, basically a nurb that you attach various shapes to and extrude and transition
in a set number of steps, I like mine done loosely you'll see fewer edges.  When ever extacting
objects from other objects (boolean subtract) I tend to save both resultant solids for later use.

Get a book on theater lighting, read it a while, and THEN play with lighting.

Then mess with materials, try to keep the number of MAPS to a minimum in the beginning so you
have fewer variables to tend to.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

hendie

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 08:41:45 AM »
try picking something relatively simple as your first project.
I tend to use Viz for the primitives and if I need splines I use AutoCAD then import them. (each object to it's own layer as it's easier to import that way)
Also, when creating primitives, even although I may know the correct dimensions I tend just to draw the primitive any size in the window then use the modify panel to correct the sizes.

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 11:38:01 AM »
MJF/Hendie, you avail for a quick and dirty demo?  I will gladly send you the file.  Unfortunatly I am on a very short time frame for this proof of concept.  Basically all I need is someone to help me place 3-4 materials (which I figured out were drag and drop, I just haven't found the material I want yet) and how to place 1-2 lights to make a decent rendered pic I can print to show my boss.  I plan on taking a class from local reseller if needed, and I will definetly be buying some books (although I will check out those links first)
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

hendie

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 04:23:36 AM »
I should be. Work is pretty slow at the moment although that can change in a flash.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 09:29:54 AM »
There are a lot of mid to high polygon count blocks in there that will need their faces painted to render more correctly.

Sending that file back your way, here are a few basic materials right out of Autocad.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 09:31:13 AM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 09:44:55 AM »
Still watching for the file.  So was it hard to get it to make the pic?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 10:13:31 AM »
Just render it....or the camera Vito view... 8-)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 01:10:25 PM »
Can you post your file?  Just curious as to how it went.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 01:23:40 PM »
got put on hold for now, funny how that works.  Ill post when it resurfaces