Author Topic: Revit MEP: Create/Use non printing text (invisible)  (Read 7528 times)

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
Revit MEP: Create/Use non printing text (invisible)
« on: November 01, 2007, 11:58:41 AM »
I looked in the help but i can not find anything that will allow me to create text that will not print but yet display on the screen (for design).

I know i can create another duplicate of the view but i dont want to have to switch back and forth to create/modify/etc my design.

I want to be able to note items, areas, CFMs, loads, etc. on my plan instead of my prints.

Any ideas and or thoughts are appreciated.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Bob Wahr

Re: Revit MEP: Create/Use non printing text (invisible)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 12:04:01 PM »
You could duplicate as dependant

Duplicate the view.  You aren't duplicating the model, only the view.  Changes made in any of the views update the model in all of them.  Unless MEP works completely differently than Structure.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 12:05:56 PM by Bob Wahr »

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 12:26:12 PM »
You could duplicate as dependant

Duplicate the view.  You aren't duplicating the model, only the view.  Changes made in any of the views update the model in all of them.  Unless MEP works completely differently than Structure.

No, as far as i know the two apps are close in how they act.

I understand what your thinking but, I dont really want to do that though. I mainly would like to `tag' sections of duct or pipe with given design criteria (I want to say that this section of duct has 23275 CFM SA) and not have that printed. I dont want to have to flip back and forth between views to create or check these notes. (Im thinking defpoints).

Maybe that would be the only way though. *sigh*

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Kate M

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 12:36:05 PM »
Not that I know of, but that'd be a good wish-list item.

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 12:42:01 PM »
Im on it.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Dilbert

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 01:53:54 PM »
Hmmm... it's not defpoints, but there is a possible work around.  In the current version of Revit you can selectively hide "types" of objects and these elements will not print. So, if you used a specific text style for these notes then you could do the following before you print:

1. Select one piece of text that is that style,
2. Right click on it and choose "Select All Instances"
3. Use the Hide/Isolate command to hide it (using Hide Element). This will hide all instances of that style of text.

At that stage all those notes will "go away" and you won't see them when you print. Then all you need to do is "unhide" those objects the same way (except using the Reveal Hidden Elements tool).

I know, still not what you are looking for, but it would keep you from "flipping" views.