Author Topic: Structural Bolt - 10/31/07 How do I?  (Read 6976 times)

akdrafter

Structural Bolt - 10/31/07 How do I?
« on: October 25, 2007, 09:23:00 PM »
Hello All,

Here I am again. Ok, here is the scoop. I have been trying to learn db's. So, I have done a few and I felt that this one would be a good one for me to really cut my teeth on. It is an "A325 & A490 High Strength Structural Bolt" with the values for the bolt coming from ANSI B18.2.1. I have most all of the lookup tables complete except for the arcs that make up the top of the head of the bolt. I used a hatch for the threads as it stretches and such accordingly when I adjust the values of the hatch boundary geometry. I figured I would use a hatch because I was being lazy and did not want to take the time to figure out the thread stuff. :-)

Take a look at the block.

Kate helped me with the "r" arcs and I think dealing with the arcs in the bolt head top should be a similar function, but I can not figure it out. See the note I made in the drawing. Also, I am going to have to figure out the thread length thing as it does not display correctly when you have say... a 1 1/2" dia. bolt that is only 1 1/4" long...which I doubt exists because the thread length on a 1 1/2" dia. bolt is 2 1/4". I guess what I don't know is what the common... and uncommon bolt lengths are and their associated thread size. This makes sense if  you dissect the dimensional data of these bolts...I think. hahahaha....

As always, I am NOT asking anyone to complete this db for me, but I am asking for guidance.

Once I have this part complete I can add a plan view from the top, washers and the nut. I figured I would do the plan view, washers and nuts via a vis state of those elements, but use a lookup table to define the geometry, which would also allow me to move the nut via a grip.

This may have already been done. However, I have done it, learned a lot so far and hope to learn more. Feed a man a fish, give a man a fish thing... and oh man you should see the fish I caught last weekend. hahahahahaha... Yeah baby.

I have separated all of the actions in a column format outside the actual block geometry as it helps me to organize and also makes it easier to click a param and see the action it's associated with.

So, here is a drawing with the db in it. As always, I appreciate the help and advice.

I'm trying...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 12:06:34 PM by akdrafter »

Mr Cory

Re: Structural Bolt
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 09:56:39 PM »
Is the head always proportional?
Nice block by the way, looks like your getting the hang of things!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 10:00:58 PM by Mr Cory »

akdrafter

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 11:56:40 AM »
Mr. Cory,

I don't think the head is always proportional.

pmvliet

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 12:45:41 AM »
akdrafter,

I downloaded this the other day and thought it was kind of kewl.
Tonight, I opened it up and did a bedit to look at your parameters and such.  :-o

I know you are trying for a one-fit dynamic block and you almost have it which is pretty kewl.
Wouldn't the bolt head be the same for all 3/4" bolts and you
assign a visibility state for the different bolt diameter's?
Might reduce some of your parameters and such??

I look forward to seeing what you get in the end!

Pieter

akdrafter

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 12:02:56 PM »
pmvliet,

The bolt head is the same size for a 3/4" dia. bolt. Each bolt size has a different head size.

I could have drawn all of the geometry for each size bolt into vis states and then used a linear param to define the bolt length, but as was explained to me and makes sense....for some, but not all.... situations, lookup tables was the way to go. Which in theory makes the block file size smaller. Now that smaller file size is absolutely relative. If I used a lot of the bolts in a drawing it would make my drawing file larger. So, I guess it's a give and take.

I would complete the block, but haven't had time to figure out how to get those top arcs to adjust accordingly. I haven't had anyone give me a suggestion or guidance yet.

pmvliet

Re: Structural Bolt - 10/31/07 How do I?
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 01:23:38 PM »
I'd like to help, but I'm a totally newbie to dynamic blocks.
Last week at the Augi Cad Camp, I took Matt Murphy's class on dynamic blocks.
You are way ahead of me in that arena  :-)

Kudo's to you!

Pieter

Bob Garner

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 02:45:58 PM »
I like what you are doing, AKDRAFTER.

I'm trying to remember how we manually drew bolt heads and I'll look that up when I get home tonight.  There were specific rules an where to place the centers of the arcs based on the bolt diameter (I think).  Bolt head widths across flats and head heights are per ANSI of course, but there was a neat way to swing the arcs.  I don't know anything about dynamic blocks but this looks like a good way for me to learn them too.

Bob

akdrafter

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 02:54:49 PM »
Pieter,

Only class I have ever taken is when I first took cad at a community college. AutoCAD v12....for dos. hahahahahaha....

Bob,

The arcs are really not important for my use, maybe for someone that manufactures bolts, but I am trying to do this block as real world as possible because it's kind of difficult and will give me a trial by fire kind of learning experience. Besides, it's pretty cool. Gets ones mind spinning with possibilities.

Bob Garner

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 04:23:34 PM »
So if I understand you (Bob says with a sample A325 that he stole from a jobsite in front of his face), you're trying to draw the real world arcs that would result from the 30 degree chamfer around the periphery of the bolt?  And automate that for the dynamic block.

Bob Garner

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 04:47:43 PM »
This is getting fascinating.  Attached is a sketch of what you are tying to automate?

Bob

akdrafter

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 05:30:54 PM »
Exactly.

Kate helped me with the arcs "R" fillet where the bolt length meets the bolt head. There are (4) different values for the radius of the arc. I used the lookup table to assign the value of the arc for each bolt dia. and because the length of the vertical line that attaches to the bottom of the arc changes accordingly, I made that a linear param based on what the arc value is. If that makes sense. hahahahahaha

So, yeah. It has a lot to it, but it is really helping me to understand how to make stuff work.

Kate M

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 12:39:01 PM »
AK, I do have to ask -- what scale will you be plotting this block? For most of your average steel details, the kind of detail you seem to be aiming for will be completely invisible in the plot. I know it's a good way to learn about creating & editing DB's, but it's easy to get carried away. (Like trying to draw threads on a screw that will be used in 1"=1'-0" details...)

akdrafter

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 01:19:32 PM »
Kate,

You are absolutely correct. The minute details of this db are irrelevant, however... like you said... it's a good way to learn. The only things I will be needing to get from this block will be the bolt diameter and length. I figured if I am going to... one... learn... might as well go big and two.... might as well make it right. :-)

So, what that means is I could forgo the upper arcs in the bolt head and call it good, but for the sake of going through the motions and getting the "how do I?" figured out I still want to figure out how I manage those arcs.

slw210

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 11:12:14 AM »
I would just have the flats stretch up to meet the Arcs.