Author Topic: Gigundus File Size ~ Why?!  (Read 9271 times)

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
Re: Gigundus File Size ~ Why?!
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2007, 12:55:23 PM »
Take cover, incoming!! ^ ^ ^
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

CADaver

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2007, 01:06:48 PM »
I think perhaps the intent of my post was missed ... it wasn't to debate the issue of "fixing" drawings, but rather why "fixing" in one aspect is regarded as acceptable. There have been at least 2 other discussions on this board (I'll not provide links ... I am sure those who are interested can find them) that were blasted by lots of folks. In those instances the data in the drawing was neither desired or required by the user (even if it is useful), but the mere idea that the data was put there by someone for some reason, thus it is given a sacred level. It is that inconsistency that I am having issue with ... and remember, I do agree with the decision to blast the AutoPlant data.
I'm not sure where you're seeing an inconsistency, surely not from me.  I regard the stepping on ANY data (even AutoPLANT data) as a bad idea, especially for something as "non-issue" as file size.  Whether "you" "need" the data or not, someone somewhere paid for the data, and trashing it is less than acceptable ... to me.  

If you're going to remove intelligence from the file, you may as well explode dimensions while you're at it ... ... if you're looking for a consistent position anyway.

So far as the dictionary corruption observation is concerned, without corroborating data, I wouldn't know ..
Knowing Michael is good enough for me.

but I wouldn't dispute that anyway ... in my opinion, when AutoCAD (or any vertical app) allows data to be added into infinitum, I think the problem is more likely a corrupted application and not necessarily a corrupted drawing.
The only issue I saw posted was with file size.

Anyway .. since it appears as though it is preferred to continue beating this poor equine, I'll comply for a bit longer. ;)
As the herbivorous quadruped of species Equus caballus is currently deceased, continued flagellation will cause no additional discomfort.

SDETERS

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2007, 01:49:34 PM »
What Exactly does Autoplant do?  Why is the file so huge?  What makes the file size huge?

M-dub

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2007, 01:59:10 PM »
My understanding of AutoPlant is that it works with a database

Correct.

maintains a bill of materials

Maintains database entries for all specs and components used. Generates BOM.

keeps all associated documents linked together.

Attempts; mostly successful.

not much for file sharing.

If you mean "file sharing sucks because of file bloat" that's not necessarily the case, certainly as a blanket statement for the suite of products that fall under the "AutoPLANT" umbrella.

It's true: Some models get grossly bloated, especially civil / structural, because of a failure of the software to perform proper house keeping on it's own data, though said failing doesn't happen consistantly (I cannot at present explain that). Typical manifestations are failure to delete unused / discarded groups and / or dictionary entries. I've seen extreme examples where it caused models to balloon to 100 MB or more because of millions++ (and I am not exagerating) of such refuse. Careful extrication of bogus data (i.e. leave good data) in these cases has frequently resulted in file reductions in the order of 100:1.

If you mean "not much for file sharing" in terms of "multiple people able to simultaneously edit a model", then yes, it is limited from my understanding (though I'm not involved in that aspect at all and am deductively drawing from discussions I've overheard).

/end of completely rivoting and useless info
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 01:03:41 PM by MP »

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2007, 01:16:55 PM »
I don't know how, but I messed up this thread. I meant to quote Mike's last post, but I apparently (inadvertantly) edited it. Worse, it (SMF) somehow turned Mike's quotes into Deter's quotes. SORRY all!

Ghost in the machine?

:ugly:
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst