Author Topic: 3d clip  (Read 7194 times)

Fish

3d clip
« on: October 19, 2007, 10:12:05 AM »
Morning everyone, I have my 3d model drawn now I'm setting up my sections and details via viewports.  I'm trying to use the 3d clip command and is working somewhat, however, it seems kinda cumbersome as far as adjusting my clipping planes.  Can any of you enlighten me on your methods for using this command?  Thanks

Josh Nieman

Re: 3d clip
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 10:20:43 AM »
For all my details/sections/etc I use 3dclip and the old hidden visual style via -shademode

3DCLIP interface sucks a big one, in my opinion, and every year I suggest something about it to AUGI and the newsgroups but nothing comes of it.  Responses on the newsgroup vary from "There's nothing wrong with it, the problem is you" to "yea I agree, but I don't care that much about it" and I haven't really seen it hit the AUGI survey yet.

Just gotta suck it up, man, is all I can say.  zoom way out to find the planes, move them close... zoom in, move them closer, zoom in more, move them closer, repeat until they're in the right place, turn the clipping planes ACTIVELY ON, and get out of the window.  Should be it.  Dimension away.

Autocad is also sucky at producing geometry of sliced solids in some cases.  They're not actually 'solids' but hollow objects with only faces defined.  They imitate solids.  So when you have a clipping plane going through a solid to show it's cross section, often, but not always, I find it doesn't draw the cross section.  That's particularly AWESOME (sarcasm) when you're trying to detail steel beam connections and the beam's profile disappear!

CADaver

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 10:22:32 AM »

Fish

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 10:47:35 AM »
Sometimes when I adjust my clipping planes and I know I'm cutting through an object it doesn't shown in the viewport until I print preview. :loco:

Josh Nieman

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »
Sometimes when I adjust my clipping planes and I know I'm cutting through an object it doesn't shown in the viewport until I print preview. :loco:

That's a problem I run into pretty often, which is a symptom of the problem I was talking about.

Fish

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 11:08:05 AM »
You're right, this totally sucks, maybe sectioning would be better, unfortunately it doesn't retain your layers.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 11:12:32 AM »
You're right, this totally sucks, maybe sectioning would be better, unfortunately it doesn't retain your layers.

I've had it produce accurate results 100% of the time.  It's just interface/user-display problems.

The problem I run into is when using the proper shademode/visual styles to show the right linework  :ugly:

Tangtential edges are fun.  Just wait until you run into fillets/pipes/copes/and such.