Author Topic: db Gurus - Lookups V. Vis States  (Read 4618 times)

akdrafter

db Gurus - Lookups V. Vis States
« on: October 17, 2007, 06:35:46 PM »
I was told that I could have accomplished the dimensional lumber db I made using lookups versus vis states. There are many ways to "Skin The Cat" and how I did it is one way. However, I wonder if there is a "Correct" way. I wonder if the real drawback to "Vis States" is all of the geometry... which increases the file size much quicker than applying dimensional data via a lookup.

Right now I am working on a High Strength Structural Bolt db using the dimensional data from ANSI B18.2.1. I am drawing the head(thickness, flats & corners length), bolt length(grip + thread length), diameter & fillet radius. Not including the thread size data or the hex head radius(not really needed). The point is that when I want a 3/4"%%C structural bolt that is 5" long I can select it "exactly" as it is and then....once I figure out data extraction... extract the data from each bolt(size & length) and have it automatically added to a materials list. I plan on doing this for steel plates, bolts, HSS's, WF's, etc. etc. etc.  I know there are programs out there for steel detailing, but I don't have the money for that and I honestly don't believe I need it.... if I can create db's that allow me to quickly select what I want and extract that information to a materials list(table in the drawing). I know it can be done, I have just never had to do it.... until now. Basically an "Intelligent" drawing versus a "Dumb" drawing.

So.... please give me your opinion on the path I should take for data extraction to a materials list(table) in a drawing using data from dynamic blocks.

Thanks.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: db Gurus - Lookups V. Vis States
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 06:38:30 PM »
I think I would lean towards Lookup Tables for this.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Mr Cory

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 09:15:33 PM »
Agreed  :-D or attributes with feilds maybe

akdrafter

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 12:07:20 PM »
MJ & Cory,

Thanks for the response. I shall see what I can accomplish. Mr. Cory, thanks for the dyn spread footing. I will be looking into what you have done and expand on it. The more I get into these the more possibilities I see. I guess my mind works more along the lines of seeing the linework than inputing values.

I have attached the start of the Structural Bolt. It's a working version and thus the plan view and the text don't do anything. I think I will take the bolt length and diameter and apply those to a lookup table. The bolt head has 4 different dimensions to it I guess that is where I need to dive into a greater complexity.

Thanks for the input.