Author Topic: Dimensional Lumber db... share the wealth  (Read 7027 times)

akdrafter

Dimensional Lumber db... share the wealth
« on: October 16, 2007, 09:26:03 PM »
Hello All,

Someone may have done this already and probably better or a different way. Here is my attempt at a db of dimensional lumber 1x - 24x taken from "Properties of Structural Lumber - Sectional Properties of Standard Dressed (S4S) Lumber Sizes.

I tried to label all parameters/actions/lookups and vis state so that if someone wanted to use it in a database form... I am not sure, but I think you could.

Not fully tested. So, "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK"... and if you spot any errors, please let me know.

Have an awesome day.

Kate M

Re: Dimensional Lumber db... share the wealth
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 11:49:35 AM »
Can you post it again in a "container" drawing? It's annoying to have to save a drawing, then insert it into another drawing, just to see what someone's talking about. Much better to click-and-open. :-)

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 11:56:41 AM »
They need a bit of work.  The 10x's are fubar and I think the 12x's are also a bit out of whack.

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 11:58:01 AM »
One thing I would do....  Move the vis and lookup states farther away from each other.  It's kinda hard to pick the right one if you're not zoomed in.

akdrafter

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 12:01:04 PM »
I'm on it. I see the mistakes.

akdrafter

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 12:13:17 PM »
My bad. Don't use the previous drawing1.dwg. I forgot to remove it before I sent the post. I fixed the errors Matt pointed out.

Attached is the original db and a drawing with the db in it.

All dwg v2004.

Any more ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 12:27:29 PM »
Looks like you've fixed it.

The only other comments/suggestions would be to...

1) add an alignment parameter to it so you can "snap" to different angles
2) add an array/stretch combo so you can array multiple pieces next to each other

akdrafter

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 01:21:30 PM »
Matt,

I have the alignment parameter added. I had to move the lookup for the size (i.e. 1x, 2x, 3x, etc.) up a bit so that the alignment parameter does not cause interference. I am not sure how to use the array function when I am using a lookup for the different widths of each #x. Enlighten me?

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 01:27:23 PM »
Peep 'dis, yo!

Kate M

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 01:30:29 PM »
I see what you're after, but I like to keep things simple.

My wood block has two lookups (depth & width), and a visibility state for blocking/continuous (one diagonal or two). The users have to know if the size they're specifying exists. It's a lot easier to maintain that way -- I don't think I could keep track of all those lookups. :-)

akdrafter

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 01:43:32 PM »
For this element(of a detail) I don't normally show more than one and if I did need more than one I can just old school it and copy it. hahahahaha.... However, when I do cmu in section the array in a db works well. So, I think this particular db... for my use... is a case of task specific functionality.

Thanks for the input. I am on to bolts, washers and nuts.

I have attached the db with the alignment parameter.

whdjr

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 01:42:00 PM »
I have attached a block using lookups.  The same outcome can be accomplished in many ways as you pointed out earlier.  I would not say vis states were wrong or lookups were wrong, but I would say to try to minimize the geometry.  Anything that can be reused within a block doesn't have to be duplicated and therefore will have a smaller file size.

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 10:14:10 AM »
This is what I have done with dimensional lumber.  THis block is for uncut lumber.  I have another block with out constrainst for ripped lumber.
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016