Author Topic: CUI questions  (Read 1862 times)

yyou

CUI questions
« on: October 11, 2007, 01:31:46 PM »
Hi all

I have been using acad2004.  I just installed acad2008 and I would like to bring all my customized tool bars into the new acad.  I do not understand much of how CUI works.

Thanks for your helps

Shinyhead

Re: CUI questions
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 01:38:28 PM »
If you follow the Start>All programs>etc etc down to the ACAD folder you will see a migrate custom settings folder, in there is the option to migrate from a previous release.  You then can bring in your older stuff into the new setup.

Until I somewhat figured out the CUI, I customized the old acad and re imported the toolbars/macros that way.

Make sure you back up your cui and such (I actually would export your settings to somewhere safe so you can restore it when/not if you mess up the cui!) as its a real pain to figure out.   :-)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 01:50:20 PM »
This might suggest that you not import or migrate your old toolbars, as it will only delay the inevitable. As you will need to learn the CUI interface, and either way you need to back up that folder before it gets whacked.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Shinyhead

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 01:52:09 PM »
True, but they may be in the same boat I was where production could not wait for me to learn how to use the CUI and the boss wanted it rolled out *now*

It does give you a stopgap anyway.

yyou

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 02:42:53 PM »
Hi

I go start>>all programs>>autodesk>>acadmep 2008 but I do not any sub-folder under that.  Is there a step by step show us how to modify cui file?

Thanks for your helps

quamper

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 02:53:56 PM »
There is alot of material on the CUI and how to use it if you search on google for "Autocad + CUI". For specific information the Autocad help files really are helpful for figuring out what you want to accomplish.

Alot of people don't like the CUI, but if you give it a chance it's not so bad for basic things unless you use multiple/partial CUI's then I suppose it can get confusing. My only major complaint about the CUI is that it's slow, but I don't work in it all the time either so there may be other valid complaints, but it works for me.

When working with it make sure you click all of the arrows to expand it all the way so you see the Command List/Properties/and Customizations Section. The biggest confusion I've seen most people have is by not expanding all the sections you can't figure out what you are doing.

The command listing (lower left) contains all of the Autocad commands and is where create new commands/macros. To properties window (right side) allows you to modify aspects of the commands you select in the command list. And the Customization sections (upper left) is where you create new tool bars/add commands macros to tool bar/etc.

For instance say you want to add the circle command to the Dimension toolbar (not that you would want to but just an example). First expand the Tool bars section in the Upper Right and find the Dimension Toolbar. Then find the circle command in the Command List (Lower Left Portion). Highlight the circle command and drag it up to the dimension toolbar in the Upper Left section that you previously selected.

It sounds more complicated than it is. 

Some highlights of the CUI that I often go to...
Shortcut Menus>Default Menu <- you can change the default right click commands that come up
Keyboard Shortcuts>Shortcut Keys <- you can reassign F1 here to something like cancel so help isn't popping up by accident
Double Click Actions>Line <-for instance changing line's to pline's by double clicking.

Here is a link to some videos for 2006.. the same still mostly applies
http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_lines/2005/05/autocad_2006_tu.html

« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 02:57:43 PM by quamper »