Author Topic: Preview different from Drawing???  (Read 11249 times)

M-dub

Preview different from Drawing???
« on: November 04, 2003, 03:18:24 PM »
Does anyone know if it's possible to have the drawing preview a little different than the drawing it is previewing?
Here's what I mean:
I have a few blocks that we will commonly use, but I would like to be able to put a note across the preview that doesn't show up when the next person goes to insert it.  I know something similar to this can be done with the slides, but I'm not talking about slides :cry: .

Don't think it's possible, but would love to be proven wrong!

Thanks,
Mike

hendie

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 03:49:15 AM »
what are you using to preview the drawings ?
I don't think it could be done in Autocad but if you are using a 3rd party viewer then it might be possible

M-dub

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 08:12:21 AM »
It would be in AutoCAD.  I'm quite sure it can't be done, though.  The preview information is attached to the dwg file, so I think I'm screwed on this one...
Thanks  ;)

hendie

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 08:54:35 AM »
yup

daron

Re: Preview different from Drawing???
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2003, 10:02:47 AM »
Quote from: M-dub
I have a few blocks that we will commonly use, but I would like to be able to put a note across the preview that doesn't show up when the next person goes to insert it.

I'm not sure what you're asking here. You want the block to have the info seen as a sort of description, but not have that description show up when the block is inserted? If so, have you tried DesignCenter? I know it can be bulky and slow at times, but you can get a description and a preview. Also, if you're using 2004, the DC and properties window, as well as others are now collapsable pallettes. Speaking of pallettes, those are really cool in that you can put blocks in and make sure they insert on the correct layer.

M-dub

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2003, 10:16:30 AM »
Thanks Daron, but first of all, we're currently running 2000i right now.

I have never looked at DesignCentre...oops...DesignCentER  :wink: .  No reason...I just haven't made a point of it yet...I will when I get home...

Yes, I'm trying to put a very brief description of the block on the preview...well, actually, more like instructions (layer of insertion, colour, etc.)
because these particular blocks aren't just going on some layer with the colour & linetype set to bylayer.  I know that sounds like a no-no, but in this case it makes the most sense.

Anyway, I think I'm going to give up that idea and hope that the next CADdie references the detailed legend that I've created...

Thanks again though!  ;)

daron

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2003, 10:51:32 AM »
Anyway, I think I'm going to give up that idea and hope that the next CADdie references the detailed legend that I've created...

Good luck with that. Remember that left turn you were trying to make. This will feel like a u-turn on a one way street.

M-dub

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2003, 11:43:55 AM »
I hear ya, but I've got the legend referenced in two locations on the drawing.
It's not too big a deal anyway...it just makes it easier for them if someone wants to isolate different parts of the drawing.

What it is is a Data Highway network, which in essence, is similar to a pipeline.  We've got the main trunk cable going horizontally from one side of the drawing to t'other.  These trunk cables are of varying colours and linetypes (controlled by the layer "Com-DHPlus", "Com-Ethernet", etc).  All of the devices are connected to the trunks via drop lines.  Devices are placed on layers like "Device-PC", "Device-PLC", etc.  Sounds simple enough, but if someone wants only to see the PC's, normally, we'd freeze the other "Device-*" layers.  Since we don't want to see the drop lines just dangling out there in the middle of nowhere, I've set up these drawings so that the drop lines are placed on the same layer as the device it's connected to, then the colour and linetype is changed to match the properties on the main trunk line. So, when a device layer is frozen, everything disappears up to the trunk.

If that makes sense to you, great...It's kinda tough to explain, but once you see it, I think you'd agree.

Cheers,
Mike

nivuahc

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2003, 12:03:31 PM »
When you say 'preview' you are talking about the Autocad preview window on the file dialog box, correct?

Because, if you are, I'm having trouble understanding why you'd want that option.

If it's a matter of someone being able to 'flip through' the drawings without having to actually open them in AutoCAD had you considered using VoloView Express? You can manipulate the layers (turn them on/off, etc) with it, it's free, and it doesn't require AutoCAD be on your system.

M-dub

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2003, 12:35:32 PM »
When inserting one of these blocks, I'd like the preview in the file dialog box to show, in text, the name of the layer, colour, or some other directions underneath the block.  The problem is that I can't save the dwg file with the description, then delete the description, resave it, keeping the description intact on the preview only.

This is why I think my only option to do this would be creating a slide library for these blocks, but that's not going to happen.  The reason I could do it with slides is because I can put the description on the dwg, create the slide, delete the description, then save.

Not a big deal...I'm just giving up on the idea...

pmvliet

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2003, 06:32:22 PM »
Mike,
The preview is a thumbnail which is embeded in the DWG file. I have seen files where the preview is not what is the actual drawing when you open it. How this is done, I am not sure. I think there was some discussion @ cadalog about this some time ago.

As a work around for trying to give your Cadd team a heads up on layer, etc, you could create a toolbar which would then insert the blocks.
Then for the description of the button, you could put this information. I guess in writing this out, you might as well have your toolbar set those for the users as well.

Pieter

hendie

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2003, 04:13:22 AM »
M-dub, don't you have BlockWerx ???

in BW you can choose to view as BMP's or as Slides. and BW will automatically create all the slides in a library/directory for you. (I'm sure you know all this already)
You could either create the slides with that info  showing, then remove the text from the actual drawing. Or, you could use the "Description" feature in BW to hold that info

On an aside, something that may be useful... I have hundreds of blocks and with most of them, I run an associated lisp or VBA routine straight after I insert the block.
I've asked Byron if it is possible to have a routine "attached" to each block os that it runs automatically, immediately after the block is inserted ~ He's looking into that one just now.

M-dub

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2003, 08:52:24 AM »
Thanks Guys,
First off...
I'm giving every CADdie who opens these drawings in the future a heads up by utilizing the NoPlot layer setting.  I have a 'NOTE TO CAD' on the drawing explainging what's going on.  It reads as follows:
NOTE TO CAD
1.  PAY STRICT ATTENTION TO LAYERS BEING USED.

2.  ONLY MAIN TRUNK CABLES ARE PLACED ON SPECIFIC 'COM-___' LAYERS.  ALL DROP LINES ARE TO BE PLACED ON THE SAME LAYER AS THE DEVICE BEING CONNECTED.  THE DROP LINES ARE THEN GIVEN THE SAME PROPERTIES AS THE TRUNK CABLE.  FOR EXAMPLE, THE ETHERNET TRUNK CABLE IS ON THE COM-ETHERNET LAYER WITH THE COLOUR AND LINETYPE SET TO BYLAYER.  THE DROP LINES CONNECTING TO A PLC-5/40E WILL GO ON THE DEVICE-PLC LAYER WITH THE COLOUR SET TO BLUE AND THE LINETYPE SET TO DASHED2.  THIS IS DONE NOT ONLY TO KEEP THE DRAWING UNIFORM, BUT IS ALSO TO KEEP IT 'TIDY' WHEN CERTAIN LAYERS ARE FROZEN.  (WHEN THE DEVICE-PLC LAYER IS FROZEN, THERE WILL NOT BE ETHERNET AND DH+ LINES STICKING OUT, NOT CONNECTED TO ANYTHING.)

(THIS NOTE IS TO REMAIN ON THE "NO-PLOT" LAYER AND IS NOT TO BE DELETED, FROZEN OR TURNED OFF.  IF IT INTERFERES WITH DRAWING CONTENTS, MOVE THE GRIPS TO CHANGE THE SIZE/SHAPE OF MTEXT BOX)

Any suggestions???

Hendie,
Yes, we have Blockwerx, but that WE is a defferent client.  Here at Labatt's, they seem to frown on any third party programs.  I noticed your request into Byron in the forum there.  Sounds great, but wouldn't completely help me in this case, as there is linework involved besides the insertion of blocks.  I'm sure something could be made up to do what I'm trying to do, but too much work for something that won't be used all that often.

Anyway folks, let me know what you think about the note...all suggestions more than welcome!

Thanks!

daron

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2003, 09:20:13 AM »
Isn't nivuahC working on a vba routine that deals with trunk lines and com- layers? Would that help you in any way?

M-dub

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2003, 09:35:20 AM »
Not sure...I'd have to hear exactly what it does.  Besides, I think our company might be the ones doing most of the updates to these drawings in the future, so we might be alright...