Author Topic: Make ALL Lines PLines?  (Read 12136 times)

craigr

Make ALL Lines PLines?
« on: October 01, 2007, 11:46:50 AM »
Just for curiosity's sake....

What would be the problem with making ALL Lines PLines?

This way one could control the line width on screen & printing.

craigr

CADaver

Re: Make ALL Lines PLines?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 11:51:47 AM »
Just for curiosity's sake....

What would be the problem with making ALL Lines PLines?

This way one could control the line width on screen & printing.

craigr

If the PLINE has a width, I'm stuck with it in an XREF.  I'd prefer controlling the weight with the layer and CTB/STB's.  That way I can plot anything I want at a multitude of weights and screens.

deegeecees

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 11:53:23 AM »
I haven't drawn a "line" since 91'.

craigr

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 11:56:22 AM »
But if you control only the Linewight, the line appears as a thickness of 0 (or is it 1). You don't have a 'thick' line in your dwg.

We use a linewidth of .02 for all Piping in our dwgs. I then join all I can so that if I need to move the system up an inch or so in my dwg, there is much less clicking to make sure I grab the entire system.

craigr

craigr

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 11:58:52 AM »
I'm embarrassed to admit it, especially amongst all of you CAD gurus, but...

I know little about what PLines are REALLY for, other than I can make a 'thick' line with them.

craigr

LE

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 11:59:18 AM »
I do not use it but, you can play with the "LineWeight" by:

Click on the Format tab => go to the lineweight section => click on the Display lineweight

See, if helps...

Josh Nieman

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 12:07:16 PM »

I know little about what PLines are REALLY for, other than I can make a 'thick' line with them.

craigr

I'm like DGCS, I don't draw lines.  I have a hotkey that triggers the 'pline' command assigned to one of the extra buttons on my mouse, and that's all I use to draw with.

The benefits for me are many.

1)  When hatching, I automatically have a closed boundary with no chance of mistakes that leave gaps.  It is a closed boundary I can select, rather than clicking a point and hoping Autocad doesn't crash trying to calculate the imaginary boundary.  This also leaves the hatch associative 99% of the time, and allows the hatch to stretch along with any stretches I apply to that polyline, saving repetitive processes.

2)  There are times when we override the thickness for similar reasons.

3a)  When working in 3D, a closed polyline will result in a solid when extruding, whereas a simple loop of lines will result in faces, last time I checked.  Not desirable for me.
3b)  When a solid is created by extruding a closed polyline, you can edit the profile of the extruded solid by using the grips from the original polyline.

4)  Don't have to worry about forgetting to select a segment, like you said, when moving.  If you have a polyline that goes through a hundred other objects that makes it impossible to use a left-to-right or right-to-left selection window... you don't have to worry about going through and picking each line segment... it's all one big pline.

5)  Area, perimeter, and other geometry calculations are in the properties window already, or available with a quick tap of the 'LIst' command.

6)  eh there's probably quite a lot more that have become so second nature that I can't think of them at the moment, but this is all that comes off the top of my head.

LE

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 12:19:12 PM »

craigr

I use my own customization routines, for most of the type of work I do (architectural)

One, of the main reasons I always use lines (and not saying that I do not use plines) is that in this type of work, when you only have the vanilla version, is that you have to use the offset command and most of the times, you will need just a single segment of the whole pline, and have to be careful to erase the unwanted offset segments or explode the pline before doing the offset...

If I need, to have all my closed areas formed by lines and arcs, I might use the pedit with the join or my own routines for that.

It will depend on the type of work you produce.

hth.

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 12:20:12 PM »
For me it depends on what you are drawing.  Sometimes I hate when people use plines for no good reason.  If it is only going to have one segment, why make it a pline?  When I go to offset a single segment, when I would have used a line there, and come to find out it's a pline... :pissed:

So it's all in how you draw.  Sometimes plines are the way to go, and sometimes lines are the way to go.  It's AutoCAD, 20 million ways to get the same idea across.
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 12:21:20 PM »
oh yea, like Luis alluded to... I actually like the behavior of offsetting a close polyline, rather than closed line segments.  For example, the difference between using offset on a rectangle, and then using offset on an exploded rectangle (4 lines)... using fillet with the radius set to 0 is a pain sometimes.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 12:22:34 PM »
For me it depends on what you are drawing.  Sometimes I hate when people use plines for no good reason.  If it is only going to have one segment, why make it a pline?  When I go to offset a single segment, when I would have used a line there, and come to find out it's a pline... :pissed:

That's how I draw, simply because I have 'pline' mapped to the thumb button on my mouse... Why would it matter if you're offsetting a single pline segment, or a line?

So it's all in how you draw.  Sometimes plines are the way to go, and sometimes lines are the way to go.  It's AutoCAD, 20 million ways to get the same idea across.

That ends up being the final mantra, in the end, it seems  :-)

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 12:25:25 PM »
Why would it matter if you're offsetting a single pline segment, or a line?
It's the situations that Luis mentioned.  Not offsetting a single segment of a one segment pline, but a single segment of a 50 segment pline.
Tim

daron

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 12:29:14 PM »
Two things pop out to me.
1) Each segment of a pline can have different and or varying widths.
2) The problem with offsetting a segment of a pline can be overcome with a little programming magic, which I believe has been asked here previously so as not to have to start from scratch. If memory serves at all, I believe Luis came up with a winner on that topic.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 12:32:30 PM »
It's the situations that Luis mentioned.  Not offsetting a single segment of a one segment pline, but a single segment of a 50 segment pline.

My mistake, I misunderstood your statement to read that you were angered when you offset a single segment, and it's a pline, rather than a line.... not a chain of segments.  Alrighty then!

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 12:42:18 PM »

My mistake, I misunderstood your statement to read that you were angered when you offset a single segment, and it's a pline, rather than a line.... not a chain of segments.  Alrighty then!
Yea.  I was reading it before I hit the post button, and was thinking I should put an 'or' as the first word for the next line, but decided I was to lazy on a Monday morning.  :wink:
Tim