Author Topic: DB - Spread/Isolated Footing  (Read 18883 times)

Re: DB - Spread/Isolated Footing
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 01:22:48 PM »
dwg v04

I think they're going to be useless in '04 because '04 didn't have DBs.
v04 is the same file format as 06.

Ahhh....but even so, he's got '06 which doesn't have DBs does it?  Weren't they introduced in 2007 (I can't keep up with what came out when).

'06

Alrighty then.  That settles it.  We skipped 06 so that's why I wasn't sure.

Thanks Will.

akdrafter

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 01:24:45 PM »
Here is a basic straight bar with lookups.

whdjr

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2007, 01:25:03 PM »
dwg v04

I think they're going to be useless in '04 because '04 didn't have DBs.
v04 is the same file format as 06.

Ahhh....but even so, he's got '06 which doesn't have DBs does it?  Weren't they introduced in 2007 (I can't keep up with what came out when).

'06

Alrighty then.  That settles it.  We skipped 06 so that's why I wasn't sure.

Thanks Will.

No prob.

whdjr

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2007, 01:30:38 PM »
Here is a basic straight bar with lookups.

I'm having to download TrueView now because TrueConvert doesn't handle 2008 dwgs.  Will reply after I look at the file.

akdrafter

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2007, 01:34:07 PM »
my bad... I keep forgetting to save to v04. off I go to the prefs....err.... options. Old habits die hard.... or haven't died at all. hehehehehe... change my shortcut keys to: pr=options. :-)

whdjr

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2007, 01:45:11 PM »
That looks good.  If you want to associate a specified LENGTH just add the length column beside the SIZE column.  Then when you specifiy a listing in your lookup it changes the size and the length.

akdrafter

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 01:51:09 PM »
Good point. There are some basic configurations that could generically apply to many different situations. It is getting to that basic configuration and having the ability to simply select the components to make up the variations that is going to be the time saver. The original topic of this thread is the one I think is going to test my patience. :-) I haven't posted a "has this been done" in the augi forum yet....although I have been getting quite a few "shared" ideas. Cool stuff. Just have to keep focused and not get caught up in too many bells and whistles in which too much is too much. Been drawing for a long time and I am certain I could still draw things the old fashioned way faster than using some of the bells and whistles they are coming up with today...all while keep the drawing simple... and small in file size.

akdrafter

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2007, 02:43:57 PM »
dwg v04

Instead of drawing all those different actual geometry sizes, look at a block using lookups.  Look at the steel beam shape in the Civil tab of the AutoCad tool palette.

As if you have any questions.

Problem is...and maybe not...enlighten me... the bend diameter/radius is different for each bar.  durrrrrr... now I see the different columns in the lookup table. Hmmm... now this brings up a whole host of things to accommodate for the (11) different bar sizes. Each one will have (2) different radius's, inner and outer.

I see that the linework is not polylines... which would need to be the case in order to adjust the radius of the different bar types. Sounds like I need to do a drawing and some dimensioning to plot out to keep things straight.

whdjr

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2007, 03:08:55 PM »
dwg v04

Instead of drawing all those different actual geometry sizes, look at a block using lookups.  Look at the steel beam shape in the Civil tab of the AutoCad tool palette.

As if you have any questions.

Problem is...and maybe not...enlighten me... the bend diameter/radius is different for each bar.  durrrrrr... now I see the different columns in the lookup table. Hmmm... now this brings up a whole host of things to accommodate for the (11) different bar sizes. Each one will have (2) different radius's, inner and outer.

I see that the linework is not polylines... which would need to be the case in order to adjust the radius of the different bar types. Sounds like I need to do a drawing and some dimensioning to plot out to keep things straight.

You use a scale action for radiuses.  Is that what your talking about?

Josh Nieman

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2007, 03:22:23 PM »
Just for the heck of it, here's a DB wall that I've created (still needs some tweaking) that is intended to be a starting point for a wall detail.  I know it doesn't help you with your issue, but I figured I'd share it since it has to do with structural.

Well, anyways... here 'tis.

Good looking block, Matt.  Ya'll dimension in model space, or do you make an exception for details, for the sake of automation?  I'm setting up a library of details, and one of the kickers I'm dealing with is whether to show the dimensions in model space or not, for the sake of being able to paste the whole shebang, or just let the individual dimension it.

Basically my options are

1)  Geometry in model space along with a separate DIM Style for blocks that I'd just use overrides to make it right (since each block is a singular special instance) and make it easy dragon droppings.

2)  Geometry in model space, along with separate paper space block to paste in paper space... kind of a hassle, not very intuitive.  Get's 'er done though, while following the singular dim style we set.

3)  Geometry in model space and screw the dimensions, the user can do that them self. (not a very good thought for someone trying to automate processes)

akdrafter

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2007, 03:27:52 PM »
My bad...again. D is the diameter.

As an example:

Type 2 - Size 3(#3) with standard 90%%c<<-- :-D hook(6") has an inside bend radius of 2.25" the outside bend radius is 2.625".

Type 2 - Size 4(#4) with standard 90%%c<<-- :-D hook(8") has an inside bend radius of 3.0" the outside bend radius is 3.5".

per CRSI ACI 318. Funny thing is they list "D" which to me means diameter when it in there context means Distance.

So, in order to use a lookup table I have to associate each radius(2 ea.) for each bar type. Not sure how to use wipeouts with this type of db though. I like using the wipeouts because it gives a real world look to it. Draw orders can be a beotch, but it's a give and take.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 03:41:12 PM by akdrafter »

whdjr

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2007, 04:02:59 PM »
What are using the wipeouts for?

akdrafter

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2007, 04:07:29 PM »
I use the wipeouts to give the details a real world look. I am detailing to real world and not to the "what the engineer thinks will work". It's a "can it be built" approach.