Author Topic: "Stupid" Cad Question of the Day  (Read 11957 times)

Arizona

Re: "Stupid" Cad Question of the Day
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2007, 05:57:47 PM »
Okay, clear up a couple of things for me here (unless I missed something in the posts being deleted and edited) I REALLY wish folks won't do that, it mucks with the train of the thread

1.)  Why is the scale “unknown”?  Should be easy to deduce.
2.)  Why not attempt to properly scale the border upon insertion, and then you know the plot scale?
3.)  If he inserted an E-size border, why plot (to fit) to a smaller sheet?  What did he plot, Limits, Window, Extents, Display, View??

Therein lies part of the reason why this was a "stupid" question of the day.
When I asked the question, the technician looked at me (deadly serious) and says "we have to use this 30" x 42" size so everything fits".
Upon investigating and getting a better understanding of the situation...  :lmao:
I realize that this clearly shows some training issues, among other things.

deegeecees

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2007, 10:43:42 PM »
but it's MY way, and that's good enough for me.

I have this really strange combination of Frank Sinatra and Cookie Monster singing in my head.

My brain just tweaked. Dood, thats just funny.

:lmao:

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2007, 08:16:20 AM »
My brain just tweaked. Dood, thats just funny.

Isn't it a little disturbing that my brain was tweaked that way to begin with?  :? :-D

CADaver

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2007, 08:44:55 AM »

I have this really strange combination of Frank Sinatra and Cookie Monster singing in my head.
I don't care who you are, that's funny. :lmao:

CADaver

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2007, 08:46:43 AM »
Therein lies part of the reason why this was a "stupid" question of the day.
ahhh... okay, I'm up to speed now, missed a cup of coffee or two...

CADaver

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2007, 08:47:29 AM »
Isn't it a little disturbing that my brain was tweaked that way to begin with?  :? :-D
That YOUR brain .... nah .... never mind....

Kate M

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2007, 12:27:24 PM »

:-D :lmao:

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2007, 08:50:46 PM »
That YOUR brain .... nah .... never mind....

Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious.
~ George Orwell
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2007, 09:05:21 PM »
 Hey!  ........ :-D

Josh Nieman

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2007, 07:54:23 PM »
....why some engineers feel they have to change drawings and mess with them... for no conceivable reason other than to mess with them.

How does this somehow make my drawing more accurate, less fallible, or otherwise worth the time I wasted pulling off my current job, onto this one, just to change this little piece of text?  I editted my dimension on the footing section to read <> x 3'-0" where '<>' is 3'-0"

Somehow my drawing is now better because he made me change the NAME of the view from "Section C - Typical End Wall Footing" to "Section C - 3'-0"x3'-0" Footing" and leave the dimension as "<>"

...  If anything, that makes my drawing MORE vague and unorganized.

Then when I confront him about this and a couple other callout changes he 'requested' and told him "This is NEVER how we do things.  We have a history of consistency in all our drawings that I've worked hard to maintain which has been encouraged by all principals until now" (the engineer requesting these changes is the VP of the company) and his response is simply "Yea, but we're just gonna do it this way on this project"   "Why?"  "Just do it, Josh..."

:realmad:

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2007, 08:07:09 PM »
y'know I once got in dutch with some folks because I kept asking what their standard was, only every time they told me it was quickly followed by; "only not on this job it was done this way..."   and yet I was the bad guy when I told then that I was confused, because each time I asked what standard to use, the standard would be explained, only then I would be told to do other than the standard....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Josh Nieman

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2007, 08:12:42 PM »
y'know I once got in dutch with some folks because I kept asking what their standard was, only every time they told me it was quickly followed by; "only not on this job it was done this way..."   and yet I was the bad guy when I told then that I was confused, because each time I asked what standard to use, the standard would be explained, only then I would be told to do other than the standard....

I just wish I knew what to expect.  That's the main purpose of doing things one way, and sticking to it... so you don't have to waste time on pointless redlines because someone had a tickly fancy whimsy.  This project would have been done in 7 hours total.  It took 4 sheets, total.  Title Sheet, Floor Plan, Elevations, Foundation Plan & Details.  Someone else is doing elec. and civil.  Instead I have wasted more hours on stupid redlines and pointless "Hey Josh, let's go over these plans again" meetings that basically amount to me sitting in the chair while he reviews the drawings as if I am not a simple intercom-phone-button-push away if a question arises.  So now I have 19 hours on this job, rather than 7... no telling what the engineer has wasted on it, who charges almost double for his time, than mine.

Strucmad

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2007, 08:26:03 PM »
Josh, The dudes just eating into your Bonus/Profit deal.  :-D

Josh Nieman

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2007, 08:33:54 PM »
Josh, The dudes just eating into your Bonus/Profit deal.  :-D

That too.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2007, 10:40:40 PM »
So now I have 19 hours on this job, rather than 7...

Are you paid by the hour?