Author Topic: Lookup Tables and Visibility States  (Read 9031 times)

Lookup Tables and Visibility States
« on: September 04, 2007, 12:02:37 PM »
I've got a DB with 8 different visibility states (4 new, 4 existing).  What I'd like to be able to do is click on the block and select either NEW or EXISTING.  From there, I'd be able to select one of the four new or existing visibility states.  Can a lookup table do this?  I've been racking my brain, looking at other DB lookup examples, and reading the help files most of the morning trying to figure this one out and I just can't seem to wrap my head around it.  Can somebody give me a nudge?

Kate M

Re: Lookup Tables and Visibility States
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 01:33:48 PM »
Basically what you want is a nested visibilty state, and those aren't possible yet (without code or something else beyond my expertise).

Mr Cory

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 06:44:59 PM »
This can be done, first off, create your vis states as per normal and remove the grip from the vis states. Then basicallly all you need to do is create two lookups to start off with, one that controls new>existing in this lookup you add the vis states and set the table up like this:

For vis state "A - New"

A (new)                           New
A (existing)                      Existing

Also have another lookup which controls A>B>C>D

For vis state "A - New"

A (New)                           A
B (New)                           B
C (New)                           C
D (New)                           D

Now for vis state "A - Existing" (You can use the New/Existing lookup from vis state "A-New" for this vis state aswell)

A (Existing)                           A
B (Existing)                           B
C (Existing)                           C
D (Existing)                           D

Then for the rest of the vis states use the above format but change "A" to suit the current vis state you are using

If you would like to see an example have a look here
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=58544&highlight=fire+place

For your situation you will need about 6 lookups i think but dont quote me :-D

Let me know if thats not clear, it can be quite confusing (i had to stop and think with typing the above  :-))
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 07:00:53 PM by Mr Cory »

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 08:57:32 AM »
Hmmmmm.... That kinda sounds like more work than it's worth.

Plus, my DB has gone from 4 New & 4 Existing to 12 New, 12 Existing and 12 To Be Removed.  I'd like to keep them all as one block, but managing that many lookups is going to be a bear.

It certainly gives me something to think about.

Thanks!

Mr Cory

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 04:34:17 PM »
Yeah i does take a lil time to set up, you just need to weigh up whether it is worst it in the long run  :-)

whdjr

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 09:47:51 AM »
Matt,

Here is a way to do what you want without a whole bunch of vis states.  It uses a Polar parameter for the rotation and a vis state for the color.

Mr Cory

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 04:22:50 PM »
Will brings up a good point, you can use a scale action to "hide" the objects you dont want but really your just scaling them really small, then use the vis states for new, existing, demo.