Author Topic: Brain Dead Drawing only?  (Read 20536 times)

CADaver

Re: Brain Dead Drawing only?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 05:51:42 PM »
<snippety snip>...Doing 'CAD Monkey' work, doesn't it get very boring after awhile?
In my experience, this leads to other related careers, Cad/CAM, Cad Management, Data Management, Programming, just to name few, so it's a basic spring board for lanching into the wonderful world of creating things with technology.
Around here its entry level.  We hire "fresh out of school" folks and they begin to learn design, construction, fabrication, transportation, etc. for the particular discipline into which they've entered (Civil, Piping, Electrical, Instrumentation, Structural, Architectural, etc.).  They aren't "CAD monkeys" for long.

SDETERS

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 06:04:20 PM »
I think fresh out of school yes I was a CAD Monkey. Getting redline drawings and fixing them.

Now I am a 3D modeling guru.  I don't just model I design.  Features here, curve here, this looks like it will make the product better or we can save some material if we do it this way. Then the ENG directs us if the design is strong enough or needs beefed up or other ENG suggestions.

deegeecees

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 06:04:38 PM »
<snippety snip>...Doing 'CAD Monkey' work, doesn't it get very boring after awhile?

In my experience, this leads to other related careers, Cad/CAM, Cad Management, Data Management, Programming, just to name few, so it's a basic spring board for lanching into the wonderful world of creating things with technology.

If you get bored, that is.

In no way did I mean to offend anyone. Some people don't like to be challenged all day long and others do. Nothing wrong with either, it's just a matter of preference.

Again, I didn't mean to offend and apologize if I did.

craigr

Absolutely no offense taken.  :-)

I was just spouting out about my experiences.

Dinosaur

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 09:00:05 PM »
At our shop there just isn't room for a fresh from school CAD person.  We have a designer (myself), one field crew refugee (swamp member momurry - who is getting married this Saturday) who is main duty is to become as proficient as I am asap and one engineer who wants us to to do as much of the design work as possible so he can . . . well, just because.  Our software can do at least 3/4 of the line work for our drawings while it is being designed so one must learn what he is doing in very quick order lest he just be mostly in the way.

craigr

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2007, 09:21:20 AM »
We tried hiring a 'CAD Monkey', (I like that term), and the experience was HORRIBLE!!!!

This guy said he had taken a couple of classes of CAD in college, but I swear I had to show him how to do everything. And often had to show him how to do it multiple times. They hired him to take some of the load off of me. I was told he was to 'do the drawing part' of my job. The problem ended up being that I was spending more time explaining & fixing his dwgs that if I did the work myself. After 6 months, we finally had to let him go because he was costing us more than he was making us. He was a very nice guy, I would like to have kept him, but he just didn't know enough to be a benefit to us & wasn't catching on.

So we are looking for another guy to help out, but this time I hope they let me in on the interviewing.

For those of you that don't know me, our dwgs are 2D only. HVAC line dwgs with electrical circuits. Our projects move pretty fast & we can't spend a bunch of time on dwgs. I think the actual drawing part is pretty simple. We don't come close to using the full capabilities of AutoCad, and we use LT!

Thanks for the replies. I have a somewhat different view of the CAD world than I did before posting this topic.

craigr

Willie

• Swamp Rat
  • Going nowhere slowly
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2007, 10:34:53 AM »
I think most of the CAD users start out as cad mokeys. After a couple of months or days , I think you move one to the next stage in the monkey's evolution.

But some guys never gets past the CAD monkey stage.  Especialy the monkeys who change the txt.shx of Standard font to Romans and stupid stuf like that...
Soli Deo Gloria | Qui Audet Adipiscitur
Windows 8  64-bit Enterprise | Civil 3D 2015 and 2016| ArcGIS 10.1
Yogi Berra : "I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous."

Josh Nieman

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2007, 10:36:08 AM »
Especialy the monkeys who change the txt.shx of Standard font to Romans and stupid stuf like that...

To be frank, I think that's a great example of the petty stuff that just holds people back from getting real work done.

Atook

• Swamp Rat
  • AKA Tim
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2007, 11:18:48 AM »
But you're not Frank, you're Josh. :?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2007, 11:38:59 AM »
As you can imagine I see herds of various cad animals in my classes.  In some instances the cages are open and the animals are of too many species to count. In other locations, the stripes might tend to the same color and pattern. All along there are those that get the state of the software, and evolve to use tools, to wear khakis and Polo's, and leave the world or red lines behind.  In many ways the state of the product is such that a small properly trained and motivated team can do far more with fewer hands on mice. In some instances there will always be room for some intern level position with cad.  However, as time goes by those low order operations will mostly be gone away.

Herein lies the kicker, the users must be trained, and they need a uniform introduction to the tools.  It does little good if, one or two folks attack this thing head on.  I once hired four guys at that were right out of some cad school, and three did quite well, and the other had no aptitude for civil. The reason behind hiring them was they would have no bad habits, and would know cad, the civil stuff we could teach them.  

As I see it the smarter the hand pushing that mouse around the higher your profit margin.  
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

SDETERS

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2007, 01:59:05 PM »
Good point 

We do mechanical and I say I am ok with Autocad.  But to have the knowledge of field you are working in goes a long way.  I can model a die cast housing pretty well.  But put me on something civil and have me draw contour lines for lands and bridges and my productivity goes out the window until I figure out what the heck I am drawing and why. 

CADaver

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2007, 03:00:04 PM »
But some guys never gets past the CAD monkey stage.  Especialy the monkeys who change the txt.shx of Standard font to Romans and stupid stuf like that...
??  and the problem with that is.... what?

t-bear

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2007, 04:00:10 PM »
I am a CAD "design drafter"....I work with engineering to design our systems.  I don't have the education to handle the engineering side...flow rates, pressure curves etc.... but I DO have the knowledge and ability to create an operating system from their specifications. It's up to me to determine the size/type of structural steel to handle the equipment mounted on our units.  It's also my job to create a sensable layout of those components, one that handles all of the process equipment and piping within specified design criteria.  I feel that if you have a hand in the design decisions of whatever dicipline you work in, you are more than a "CAD monkey".  I guess that makes me a "Design Monkey" huh?  :roll:

This is an enlightening post...interesting to see how we all view ourselves "in the scheme of things"..... 

Willie

• Swamp Rat
  • Going nowhere slowly
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2007, 12:47:26 AM »
But some guys never gets past the CAD monkey stage.  Especially the monkeys who change the txt.shx of Standard font to Romans and stupid stuff like that...
??  and the problem with that is.... what?

If you copy from a drawing where the standard font have been changed and paste the copied part into a drawing where the standard have not been changed, the text ends up looking horrible. And it happens a lot when more then one company is working on something.

It is better to create a unique name for your text styles.

A monkey thinks he is saving time, but a cad user who has evolved from the monkey stage, know that the fastest way is not always the right way.

Willie

• Swamp Rat
  • Going nowhere slowly
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2007, 12:48:39 AM »
The same goes for dimensions styles

Josh Nieman

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2007, 09:39:16 AM »
Then maybe you should realize the problem lies in using names like "Standard" for obviously customized fonts and styles :)

People who've evolved past the "monkey" stage know how styles work when there is a coincidence of names.