Author Topic: Handy tool  (Read 5690 times)

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
Re: Handy tool
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 10:06:34 PM »
This method has major performance issues

I really liked not having it mess with my install but if the penalty is too great it is not worth it.

I'm of 2 minds about this issue.
I think it depends on the type of work being done.

If it works to your satisfaction , and is economical you could take the attitude 'that half of something is better than all of nothing'

The performance hit may be no more than the time it takes for some people to find a key on a keyboard (to put it into perspective)

... and providing the result is what you want, I'm sure it would be faster than working manually, yes ?
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

TR

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 10:17:57 PM »
This method has major performance issues

I really liked not having it mess with my install but if the penalty is too great it is not worth it.

I'm of 2 minds about this issue.
I think it depends on the type of work being done.

If it works to your satisfaction , and is economical you could take the attitude 'that half of something is better than all of nothing'

The performance hit may be no more than the time it takes for some people to find a key on a keyboard (to put it into perspective)

... and providing the result is what you want, I'm sure it would be faster than working manually, yes ?

Very true, it all depends on the type of work being done. For some tasks it is acceptable, and I even use it for some things. But for others it's a real dog. I have some stuff that searches for drawings on our document management server via  a com interface. For 1-15  drawings it works great, but anything more it's awful. To search the whole repository it takes 15+ hours.  :oops:

Dinosaur

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 10:20:49 PM »
Absolutely Kerry . . . I am facing the very real possibility of having to turn to a solution such as this if my employer pulls the plug on our Civil 3D experiment as he is threatening.  Should that happen, I don't know what solution will be found, but I assure everyone that it will NOT be stick building the entire document set in unassisted vanillaCAD which seems to be my supervisor's preference.  Even Civil 3D can be incredibly doggy at times so some of the bars are not set very high in this comparison.  I am actually more concerned with the quality of the results than raw speed as I find myself more often than not being the true bottleneck in the process.

LE

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2007, 09:54:56 AM »
To anyone interested, I started to update an application for Civil/Topo - as an open source C++/MFC/ARX here:

OpenCivilPack 1.0 - For AutoCAD 2007-8

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=18631.msg228044#msg228044