Author Topic: hiring preferences  (Read 15830 times)

pmvliet

Re: hiring preferences
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2007, 09:30:47 AM »
Just some additional information/thoughts, if you can swing it financially and with your home situiation, get an associates degree. The associates degree will do more for you in the long run then a "drafting certificate". Plus if you have some college already, there might not be much more classes between an associates and a certificate.

Pieter

Josh Nieman

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2007, 09:39:39 AM »
Just some additional information/thoughts, if you can swing it financially and with your home situiation, get an associates degree. The associates degree will do more for you in the long run then a "drafting certificate". Plus if you have some college already, there might not be much more classes between an associates and a certificate.

Pieter

I agree.  My employees EMPLOYERS (whoops) have a lot more respect for the education I gained in my degree plans than anyone we're planning on getting out of technical school.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 09:59:35 AM by Josh Nieman »

LE

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2007, 09:56:15 AM »
I agree.  My employees ....

I see you now have a company or office, .... Can I get I real job please..... so I can get out from the streets    :evil:   :-D

Josh Nieman

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2007, 09:59:16 AM »
I agree.  My employees ....

I see you now have a company or office, .... Can I get I real job please..... so I can get out from the streets    :evil:   :-D

Haha oops... good catch, I'll fix that typo now ;)

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2007, 10:01:45 AM »

Is this your "Clark Kent" persona LE?  :-)

LE

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2007, 10:05:41 AM »

Is this your "Clark Kent" persona LE?  :-)

He he....

LE

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2007, 11:31:37 AM »
What it is your degree? or your school level?
Or are you thinking to study Architecture? or?
Why drafting (or CAD)? - (can you upload some of your work here ?)

Josh Nieman

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2007, 11:35:00 AM »
Just in case any may take it the wrong way, I was not intending to shoot down the Tech. School route.  My bosses have said at the last firm they worked for (before they started this one on their own) they would hire tech school student through the school while they were going through classes, and trained them on the job once they had a good basis of Autocad control, and then basically asked them if they wanted to drop out of school and work for them full time.  I'm told that 99% of the time they said yes, and dropped out within the week and started workin' full time.

Bethrine

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2007, 11:51:10 AM »
What it is your degree? or your school level?
Or are you thinking to study Architecture? or?
Why drafting (or CAD)? - (can you upload some of your work here ?)

I am working on a portfolio now. I unfortunately lost all of my work when my old hd went ca-put :realmad: . I don't currently have a scanner / printer (yet) so I can't upload it yet either, but I am working on that too. My school level is <removed>.

Okay, you asked...

Why CAD. I love it! I did some subcontracting for a close personal acquaintance at their request for their company. They said I would like it and be good at it so I bought the Student version of AutoCAD and a couple of text books to learn on and in three months was working from hand drawn sketches and getting paid for it, Simple ones. I kept looking forward to the next drawing and I have been playing with AutoCAD LT for a couple years now (though my acquaintance has retired). I find I am still playing with it, unlike most things I do and wishing for another project. The type of product doesn't matter too much, I enjoy the technical aspects of just about anything, but I have some familiarity with construction and a definite liking for it so, yes, that is probably where I will end up...I think commercial maybe.

*edit* I am also waiting on some real life circumstances to clear up before posting my resume. Should only be a couple of weeks. ps, some project ideas would be appreciated, right now I am measuring my house  :-D .
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 11:54:50 AM by Bethrine »

LE

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2007, 01:05:06 PM »
I am working on a portfolio now. I unfortunately lost all of my work when my old hd went ca-put :realmad: . I don't currently have a scanner / printer (yet) so I can't upload it yet either, but I am working on that too. My school level is a community college sophomore, no degree, but radiology and DA certifications from a tech school.

Okay, you asked...

Why CAD. I love it! I did some subcontracting for a close personal acquaintance at their request for their company. They said I would like it and be good at it so I bought the Student version of AutoCAD and a couple of text books to learn on and in three months was working from hand drawn sketches and getting paid for it, Simple ones. I kept looking forward to the next drawing and I have been playing with AutoCAD LT for a couple years now (though my acquaintance has retired). I find I am still playing with it, unlike most things I do and wishing for another project. The type of product doesn't matter too much, I enjoy the technical aspects of just about anything, but I have some familiarity with construction and a definite liking for it so, yes, that is probably where I will end up...I think commercial maybe.

*edit* I am also waiting on some real life circumstances to clear up before posting my resume. Should only be a couple of weeks. ps, some project ideas would be appreciated, right now I am measuring my house  :-D .

I seriously wish you all the luck in your learning experience and if you like that much the CAD world then go for it, you are going to make it!!!.... it is interesting I never push my kids to learn any CAD at all , time will tell...

Once, you have some AutoCAD drawing samples, I would like to have a look at them.

Bethrine, have a look at this sample drawings of mine :)

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=14435.msg173749#msg173749

HTH

Bethrine

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2007, 01:23:09 PM »
I seriously wish you all the luck in your learning experience and if you like that much the CAD world then go for it, you are going to make it!!!.... it is interesting I never push my kids to learn any CAD at all , time will tell...

Once, you have some AutoCAD drawing samples, I would like to have a look at them.

Bethrine, have a look at this sample drawings of mine :)

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=14435.msg173749#msg173749

HTH

Thanks! I am planning on linking my drawings to my resume when I am ready, I will definately get copies to you.

Now those look fun! I will look at them in more detail this evening!

« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 01:24:44 PM by Maverick® »

pmvliet

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2007, 12:12:27 AM »
The other route to go, is get enrolled in your community college. Once enrolled you can look to see if there are any internships in the architectural/engineering field. This would get you interviews and at least a way in. Also, most community colleges have a job board that you can look at and see if there are any places looking for warm bodies. I say warm bodies in a good way because sometimes firms are just looking for people to fill seats and needs. Sometimes (ok a lot of times) you might be scanning prints all day, or plotting all day, but it is a job at and A/E firm.

I worked for an A/E firm that would continue to hire drafters with no experience. So, you can get a job w/o a degree, but it's getting harder and harder. Since you have some college, that it a plus.

The other thing to think about is since you are already freelancing, you can go that route. Sometimes finding clients is the hard part. Since you seem to have 1 or 2, you are a step ahead. I started with one and 8 years later I am still doing work for them....

Pieter

Bethrine

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2007, 02:43:59 PM »
The other route to go, is get enrolled in your community college. Once enrolled you can look to see if there are any internships in the architectural/engineering field. This would get you interviews and at least a way in. Also, most community colleges have a job board that you can look at and see if there are any places looking for warm bodies.

Pieter

I think that is a great idea and I may go that route. Thanks!

WillCodeForFood: I looked at your drawings (and a few others) and mine are definately simplistic compared to them. I feel capable (with a bit of direction), but I haven't done anything that large by any means. It does look like fun though! I got my CAD up and running in my dual boot finally so I have just started a new project. I am working completely from my imagination, but it will be scaled and hopefully plottable (I don't have a printer yet so I can't play with that yet  :cry: ...working on it).

Bob Garner

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2007, 10:36:25 AM »

Brief thread diversion here:

Luis, I took the liberty of downloading your drawing set - nice, nice work!  You did 1/8 scale plans and were able to call out all that information and still render a clear concise drawing.  Dimensions all lined up and easy to read.  Sweet!

In exchange for sharing your work with me, I'll buy you a beer.  Or several.  I can't go to TJ but if you find yourself in Mission Valley, we can meet at the Karl Strauss brew pub.  You up for it?

Back to the original thread.

Bob

Bethrine

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2007, 10:49:08 AM »
Okay, I have my resume ready, I think, and am posting it in job junk today for critiqing. I have a drawing in process, too, and I know there is a way to attach a file to a post. Unfortunatly, I have not done this before. Could sombody tell me how or show me to a link?

Yes, those drawings look both excellent and fun! Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 03:50:03 PM by Bethrine »