Author Topic: hiring preferences  (Read 15584 times)

CADaver

Re: hiring preferences
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 04:16:52 PM »
^  ^  ^  ^  ^
What she said.
I think I need to mark this day on the calendar... CADaver just agreed with me :wink:
You were right, I ALWAYS agree with "right".

CADaver

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 04:18:06 PM »
Ok, here is a really simple question ... would you hire someone if they do not have any formal training i.e. associates degree or certificate or whatever ... and "depends" is not an acceptable answer, if you use it, you must explain under what conditions you would hire someone without the requisite training.
Yes.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 04:21:53 PM »
Ok, here is a really simple question ... would you hire someone if they do not have any formal training i.e. associates degree or certificate or whatever ... and "depends" is not an acceptable answer, if you use it, you must explain under what conditions you would hire someone without the requisite training.

Definitely.  In my particular case I would prefer it.  I base that on the experience of having interns here in the past.  Always eager to show how much (they think) they know instead of doing what you tell them too.  Reinventing my wheel is great if it works.  Just do it on your own time and THEN convince me. 

M-dub

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 04:31:54 PM »
For a foot in the door, approach the different companies in your area with your resume (that was truthfully written) and return to those companies for follow-up each week or every other week to see if they're hiring for an entry level position.  That's what I did... 11 years ago.  (Still here :roll: )
If at all possible, try to get in touch with someone else who is in the business in that area and has been for a long time.  If you're lucky, you'll be able to find out which companies to avoid and which ones are good to work for or have a good reputation for doing good work.  Although, doing good work and being a good place to work don't always go hand in hand, it gives you an idea of what to look for and which place to try harder to get into.
Traits I would look for would be adaptive, creative, eager, open-minded and focused.  ( I have a hard time with the last one, myself, hence my post count.)  You need to have some background knowledge about AutoCAD, but each place will try to mold you into (X) type of drafter / designer.  Standards... just remember standards.  :)
I always felt that I was lucky to have been hired fresh out of high school.  I mean, I WAS.  In many ways though, I regret being satisfied with it, because I was making plans to go to university and to this day, wish I had.  It's not out of the question, but it's a lot more difficult now, being married, with a child, mortgage, etc...
Anyway, I wish you the best of luck!

Arizona

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 07:42:39 PM »
You were right, I ALWAYS agree with "right".
I'm just not use to being right :-) very often.

Bethrine

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 02:24:56 PM »
Thank you, Keith, for re-phrasing that so well.

I really appreciate everyone's input! I now have a much better idea of where to sart and how to go about it. Suddenly I have much to do!

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2007, 02:34:32 PM »
You are welcome, but I must admit I did it for my own benefit ... since I have no formal training and do not hold a certificate or degree in anything, I was wondering how difficult it would be for me to get a job with some of these places that require a degree, even though I have nearly 15 years on AutoCAD. (I think that is right .. my adder is fogged at the moment)
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Bethrine

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2007, 02:40:12 PM »
You are still welcome. You did ask the question that actually got the answers I was looking for. Sometimes I try to hard to be polite and instead it's more like beating around the bush than me asking a question. Forums are teaching me that oh so well  :-)

CADaver

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2007, 12:56:17 PM »
You are welcome, but I must admit I did it for my own benefit ... since I have no formal training and do not hold a certificate or degree in anything, I was wondering how difficult it would be for me to get a job with some of these places that require a degree, even though I have nearly 15 years on AutoCAD. (I think that is right .. my adder is fogged at the moment)
Degrees are required at entry level positions, beyond that experience can trump degree.

CB_Cal_UK

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2007, 08:02:55 AM »
I have interviewed countless numbers of people for entry level CAD technician jobs and their qualifications have always varied, as has their experience.

I soon learnt to take little notice of their qualifications as "3 years architectural experience using CAD" meant that they had to use 3D Vis once in their architecture degree"

In the end I just sat them down at a computer and asked them to draw and dimension a rectangle of a certain size. They fell into categories such as "no bloody idea", "30 minutes to find the rectangle icon on the toolbar", "unable to use coordinate entry" "slow but passable" to "done 3 seconds later, is that it?
For the people with more obvious experience we gave them a 10 minute redlining exercise to do.

I was looking more for enthusiasm, raw ability, and attention to detail than how quickly or how well they they did.

Bethrine; your enthusiasm, basic talent and willingness to learn would be enough to impress me, and (unless there was another candidate with similar traits AND a 2 year CAD course/tech qualification) I'd certainly consider you for a junior training position.

Bethrine

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2007, 12:14:16 PM »
I will now be drawing lots of shapes using coordinate entry and timing myself.  :-D

Thank you CB_UK. I am going to put a resume together and bravely post it under job junk (suggested by another here, thank you too) when it is ready. I am also looking into a basic drafting course at my local community college.

I have discovered I am much more experienced at AutoCAD (entry level) than at resume writing, job hunting and interviewing.  :| :-) I think I have a much better idea of what I need to do and how to go about it now. Thank you all for your input!

Jakes GrandPa

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2007, 08:15:37 PM »
I will now be drawing lots of shapes using coordinate entry and timing myself.  :-D

Thank you CB_UK. I am going to put a resume together and bravely post it under job junk (suggested by another here, thank you too) when it is ready. I am also looking into a basic drafting course at my local community college.

I have discovered I am much more experienced at AutoCAD (entry level) than at resume writing, job hunting and interviewing.  :| :-) I think I have a much better idea of what I need to do and how to go about it now. Thank you all for your input!

Don't worry about the timing yourself, yet. Start with a command, such as line and investigate all of the options, How many ways can you make a line and as you become familiar with them your speed will pick up because you are using the program. Then move to another command and do the same thing. As has been pointed out in other places around the Swamp, there are generally at least ten ways to do anything in ACAD.

When you enroll at your community college, you should get access to their career counseling services, which should include resume preparation and possibly some good job leads in your area.

CB_Cal_UK

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2007, 04:18:53 PM »
Start with a command, such as line and investigate all of the options, How many ways can you make a line and as you become familiar with them your speed will pick up because you are using the program. Then move to another command and do the same thing. As has been pointed out in other places around the Swamp, there are generally at least ten ways to do anything in ACAD.

Couldn't agree more! I've been using CAD for nearly 10 years and I'm still learning! Always looking for ways to streamline and improve my productivity. It might seem strange to spend an hour playing with options and settings to try and save one or two mouse clicks per command routine, but if it's a frequently used command it can add up to thousands of clicks a day/week (and now that my RSI/tendonitis in my mouse hand is starting to become more frequent I'm always looking for ways to save clicks!)

Once you've streamlined your basic processes you then start to look at automating routines, customizing toolbar commands to string a series of commands together, and if you're really really clever you start using lisp and VBA like some of the smart people here . . . . :wink:

Birdy

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2007, 07:18:31 PM »
... would like to know what any employers look for upon hiring. ...
For us it's gotta be....industry experience.  And basic CAD understanding.  We can train the rest.
In my experience, folks who know AutoCAD are a dime a dozen.  What sets someone apart is experience in how WE apply it.  That is,... industry experience.

Bethrine

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2007, 11:51:43 PM »
I found the VBA course in the Teach Me thread. (I am still looking for lisp.)

I installed Ubuntu and it killed my Vista  :x so I now have to reinstall that (or XP) and hope it doesn't kill my Ubuntu   :pissed:. As soon as I get it back up I can run my ACAD and begin playing with lines again :).

For those who are interested (be it curiosity or otherwise), my resume should be ready to post very soon and I am going to my local community college this week to see where I currently stand (some college) and inquire about their basic drafting course.

You people are all  :angel: 's !