Author Topic: (AutoCAD 2008) - Fields within an XREF  (Read 4286 times)

Josh Nieman

(AutoCAD 2008) - Fields within an XREF
« on: September 25, 2007, 12:15:17 PM »
I couldn't remember if I tried posting here yet or not, and I couldn't find a thread by me, about it, if I did, so sorry if I'm repeating myself.

I have my drawings set up so that we have a file in each job folder named "X-TB.dwg" and this is a file meant to be xref'd into each drawing file into the only layout tab the file has (one sheet per file) as the title block.

I have a couple fields in this.

One is the 'ctab' sysvar callout that displays the sheet description in the appropriate box in the title block.
Second is the 'filename' sysvar which, with our naming habits, will place the sheet number into the title block.

The X-TB.dwg file has all the geometry and stuff in model space.

The S-01.dwg file, for example, will have the X-TB.dwg attached to the layout.  S-01.dwg will have the layout named "Foundation Plan" for example.

Thus, when printed, the file will show "S-01" in the title block as sheet number, and "Foundation Plan" as the sheet desc.

This works okey-dokey supremo when using the singular "plot" command.

This does -NOT- work hunky dorey when using PUBLISH.  When using PUBLISH, it prints "X-TB" as the sheet number, and "MODEL" as the sheet desc.

This means it's pulling the variables from the X-TB.dwg file, and not the drawing it is attached to as an xref.

Big problem, as I cannot, now, use publish.

deegeecees

Re: (AutoCAD 2008) - Fields within an XREF
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 12:37:01 PM »
Could be a variable?

Might find a solution here:
http://forums.augi.com/archive/index.php/f-53.html

Josh Nieman

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 12:39:52 PM »
I'm thinking it is a variable of some sort... I can send the exact same file to someone, and they publish to a file with expected results.  I'm going to check that page though, that looks very informative.  Thank you.

My problem is that I can't even get CONSISTENT results... I've published 3 files, and the middle one will print right, and the 1st and last will print the errored way... I can publish those SAME files again, and the same will happen, but the 1st one will be errored, and the others will plot right..

I don't even know where to start, with inconsistent results like that.

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 12:40:43 PM »
Options - User Preferences - Field Update Settings

See what's checked and what isn't.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 01:08:01 PM »
Options - User Preferences - Field Update Settings

See what's checked and what isn't.

I have a bit in my startup lisp that sets FIELDEVAL to 17 (from the default 31) and in 2007 that made it so that it would print EXACTLY how it shows on the screen... meaning I would have to make sure I updated any xref's that included fields if they needed updating, at times, but I want it that way.  It should always print as shown on screen.

I tried fussing with FIELDEVAL and it didn't seem to make any changes, but after lunch I'm going to put some more time into troubleshooting.  The boss just reported having troubles and complained about it, so I feel a bit more justified in spending some time figuring this out, instead of just trying something here-and-there as I went.

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
Controls the various different ways that Fields get updated.

0 - No updating of the Fields happens
1 - Update when the drawing is opened
2 - Update when the drawing is saved
4 - Update before the drawing is plotted or published
8 - Update when the drawing is to be packaged up with eTransmit
16 - Update when a regeneration is invoked

LE

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 01:31:46 PM »
I do not use the fields on xref's, but have my titleblocks as xref's for example and in my SSM I use a template with the fields.... then every time I open a sheet from the SSM or as a normal drawing, I load and call a little lisp routine to do the update - behind scenes using acad-xxx-dbmod ... that way I always for example can have my fields updated (like plot date etc....)....

ronjonp

• Needs a day job

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

Josh Nieman

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 01:39:10 PM »
I'll have to try that field trick.. inserting a dummy field into model space and seeing if it works.  I think I tried that and it failed, but at this point, since my troubleshooting was so unorganized and sporadic, I'm going to start over and methodically go through it all.

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 01:39:20 PM »
The SP for 2008 says this about fields...

Fields
   Drawing name field now always plots correctly

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/autocad_2008_and_autocad_lt_2008_service_pack_1_readme.htm

Josh Nieman

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 01:40:10 PM »
psh.  my pooper, it does.  :roll: