Author Topic: Who Owns the Files?  (Read 5457 times)

Re: Who Owns the Files?
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2007, 01:34:26 PM »
When I was a kid, we lived in the country and our neighbour had a round house.  Man it was cool!  Still is!  Big spiral staircase in the centre, hallway around that, with all the rooms as somewhat pie shaped and then a deck / veranda that wrapped entirely around the house.  Very cool!

One would get really tired walking after being told "go stand in a corner"!
*** big loud annoucer's voice on DateLIne*** " .... and there we have it folks, the voice of experience!  So the moral of the story is ......"
Followd by...
'Hello "Maverick".  Why don't you have a seat right over there.  I'm Chris Hanson....'

craigr

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2007, 11:15:46 AM »
Unless they are a competeing company, what ever happened to professional courtesy?

If you are worried about litigation, remove your title block &/or have them sign & return a legal document releasing you from all liabilities. That is what we do.

Sometimes companies / people get so high & mighty about CAD dwgs. I had one guy tell me "I've go many hours of work into these, I'm not going to give it away'. He had already been paid once to draw them for the customer. All we need was the floor plan, none of the piping, etc...

I guess I can understand selling your CAD files if it is a reproduceable item, like a house design or such, but for a particular building, I think it is childish to hold &/or charge for them.

craigr

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2007, 09:23:03 AM »
Unless they are a competeing company, what ever happened to professional courtesy?

If you are worried about litigation, remove your title block &/or have them sign & return a legal document releasing you from all liabilities. That is what we do.

Sometimes companies / people get so high & mighty about CAD dwgs. I had one guy tell me "I've go many hours of work into these, I'm not going to give it away'. He had already been paid once to draw them for the customer. All we need was the floor plan, none of the piping, etc...

I guess I can understand selling your CAD files if it is a reproduceable item, like a house design or such, but for a particular building, I think it is childish to hold &/or charge for them.

craigr

We are a design/build firm.  Now while we don't have a problem sharing our drawings if asked, I can understand where some companies might not want to. They built the building to begin with and if there are any additions or changes, naturally they will want to be doing the work and not losing it to someone else.

craigr

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2007, 09:25:35 AM »
Which is why I said 'Unless they are a competeing company'.

craigr

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2007, 09:30:32 AM »
Which is why I said 'Unless they are a competeing company'.

craigr

Sorry..I related to just the residential market.