Author Topic: The Jamaiican Project  (Read 33128 times)

deegeecees

The Jamaiican Project
« on: August 21, 2007, 10:02:06 PM »
Story:

I have a friend who is buying a plot of land in Jamaiica, and I'd like to help him out as much as I possibly can here. To get right down to it, here's the spec's as I know them:

160'x90' plot along beach front in Negril
Want's to (of course) build towards 150mph winds

Looking for some realtime help here from anyone interested, PM me if you are seriously interested.

deegeecees

Re: The Jamaiican Project
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 12:30:18 PM »
<Bump>

You'll get a free place to stay when visiting Negril...

I'm not real familiar with Archy stuff, and have little Civil exp. so I'm just looking for some pointers as to how to proceed before design.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 12:37:04 PM »
<Bump>

You'll get a free place to stay when visiting Negril...

I'm not real familiar with Archy stuff, and have little Civil exp. so I'm just looking for some pointers as to how to proceed before design.

I would love to help out but have no experience with hurricane type specs.

Keeeiiiiithhhh, oh Keeeiiiittttthhhh!

deegeecees

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 12:45:51 PM »
I was thinking the same thing...

LE

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 12:50:44 PM »
First, he need to get what are the code requirements to build in that place if any.

- Architectural stamp?
- Structural stamp?

- Are you going to use the US building code standards?

Etc. etc...

[hth]

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 12:54:02 PM »
 I've seen some construction projects going on in Jamaica.  I'm thinking codes will be........ open for interpretation.  :-)

Josh Nieman

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 12:55:29 PM »
I've seen some construction projects going on in Jamaica.  I'm thinking codes will be........ open for interpretation.  :-)

I was thinking the same, but I'm sure he doesn't want his place to be one of those you see saw on the weather channel this past week ;)

deegeecees

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 01:00:03 PM »
Actually Negril wasn't hit that bad.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 02:07:05 PM »
The most stringent code in the nation is the Florida Building Code, especially with hurricane resistance. I would be willing to offer any direction.

I would suspect that Jamaica doesn't have a very well defined building plan, but I could be wrong.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

deegeecees

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 02:08:37 PM »
Got some building codes and such, going to go through them in a meeting tonight with the Client, sort through the codes. Title Of Standards such as "Standard Specification for Ketchup JS: 88 (revision)" makes me a little apprehensive as to what I'm getting into here.

deegeecees

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 02:10:11 PM »
Thanks Keith, was posting while you were. I'll see what their documents contain tonight, and based on what we find, might just use the FBC as a model.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 02:15:40 PM »
One good thing about FBC, it exceeds IBC, and it is available online and searchable. The problem is that the FBC, just like IBC, it has a seperate residential section that is used in conjunction with the main body of code. i.e. the FBC governs where FRC does not specifically address an issue. Much like IBC governs where IRC is not specific.

Bob Garner

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 02:32:00 PM »
Keith,

Is the FRC like the IRC in that it is prescriptive and doesn't require engineering?

I'm using the IBC/ASCE7 for wind design and it's pretty "Rocket Science".  I trust the FBC/FRC is more straightforward.

Bob

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 02:54:03 PM »
Bob, the way Florida works is kind of funny .. the code spells out specifically the requirements to meet the building code .. i.e. nailing schedules, lumber sizes, specifications, spanning tables, etc ... but other portions of the code specifically require that an engineer or architect place a raised seal on all plans for construction. More and more though the FBC and FRC have been moving to a reference code, meaning that instead of telling you that you must do "this" and "this", it tells you that you must do "this, according to <insert other reference material here>" So for example, in the roofing section, while it does prescribe some things, it also states that the roofing must comply with NRCA ...

deegeecees

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 02:55:28 PM »
Thanks Keith, exactly the kind of thing I was needing, just a heads-up or two. I normally wouldn't touch anything like this, but it's for a VERY influential friend in the music biz.

<hint of sarcasm> Looking forward to it. </hint of sarcasm>