Author Topic: Coordinate Point Text  (Read 2718 times)

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
Coordinate Point Text
« on: August 21, 2007, 08:54:39 PM »
Does anyone have a VBA that will return the x and y of an object in separate text for the x and y? .....maybe behind the frig or under the couch cushions?

What I would do in ACAD is use fields, (1 text for the x, one for the y) to return the origin point of a block, that I used to mark the bend of a pipe, bldg corner etc. If something moved in the xref, I could see that the no-plot marker would be off. Move the marker, regen, back in business. Separate text was great for placing the coordinate values anywhere to fit any table.

MicroStation will do the same, (with fields), with the exception of separate text, it is one line. With the field I can not reverse the order, y being Northing first, then x, the Easting. Also there is no option to not have a separator, you must have a comma or backslash between the Northing + Easting, (no bono). XYZ text in MS is no good, 3 lines of text that can not be separated to fit in a Coordinate table.

Don't know if that was too much info, but "Thanks" for listening!

« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 11:47:00 PM by PHX cadie »
Acad 2013 and XM
Back when High Tech meant you had an adjustable triangle

Dave R

Re: Coordinate Point Text
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 08:05:21 AM »
Greg -

You can do this just with fields (See attached screen shot).  Insert a field choose the object option. Select your block. Choose the Position option then uncheck the coordinates you don't want.

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 08:32:09 AM »
Appreciate it, but that's AutoCAD, the good ole days, this project and the company are going to MicroStation, which I can not change the display order, (x,y,z).   :cry:

Hey,
 noticed the "Field Expression" box. Would that work(or be useful in VBA)?
  <I need to keep in mind.>
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 08:35:04 AM by PHX cadie »
Acad 2013 and XM

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 08:38:00 AM »
You need this specifically for MS?
What exactly are your requirements?
either post a V8 or dwg version of an example...
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 10:59:54 AM »
Specifically for MS....yes
Requirements:  seperate fileds for the x and y would give the greatest flexiblity as far as the spacing for the table and the order, (Northing first, then
                         Easting).
                         Size of text would be manipulated with the ref scale/viewport and the font would be set through the regular properties or text style,   
                         so I don't think that is an issue (maybe?).

Attached a dwg, that has worked great in the past.......but that was the ACAD days.
Acad 2013 and XM

Arizona

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 11:03:28 AM »
Have you considered using tags instead of fields? Or do you need the functionality provided by fields?

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 11:18:28 AM »
Have you considered using tags instead of fields? Or do you need the functionality provided by fields?

Oooooo Gawd Yes. Thank you for the reminder!

Requirement. fileds update postion if the "marker" is moved.

Thats why I reference the "coordinate" file and I avoid typing 3 full (22x34) sheets of .1 text   :-(

Don't think (?) tags would update, do they?
Acad 2013 and XM

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 04:33:54 PM »
Hallelujah!

Under "Coordinate Format">Select Coordinates, (a box I never noticed  :oops:) you can pick xyz, xy, x, y, z. It is using default, but I'm constantly looking at the General Format, xyz......no yx I don't care about z but will take it if I have to. Seemed logical GENERAL FORMAT!
I'm new at this and don't want to monkey with too much.
I spent 2 days 10 keying and I'm only 1/2 way.

I hope no one has spent any time on this, if so pls accept my apologies, and Thanks
Acad 2013 and XM

Arizona

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 05:45:07 PM »
Hallelujah!

Under "Coordinate Format">Select Coordinates, (a box I never noticed  :oops:) you can pick xyz, xy, x, y, z. It is using default, but I'm constantly looking at the General Format, xyz......no yx I don't care about z but will take it if I have to. Seemed logical GENERAL FORMAT!
I'm new at this and don't want to monkey with too much.
I spent 2 days 10 keying and I'm only 1/2 way.

I hope no one has spent any time on this, if so pls accept my apologies, and Thanks
I'm glad you found a solution that will work for you :-)

Certainly no need to apologize for anything, because as you are learning, you sure are teaching me also.
My thanks to you!