Author Topic: [EDIT] Revit MEP Suite.... anybody else use this??  (Read 4272 times)

StykFacE

[EDIT] Revit MEP Suite.... anybody else use this??
« on: August 21, 2007, 06:14:29 PM »
EDIT: Moved to REVIT Forum
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 06:19:37 PM by StykFacE »

Josh Nieman

Re: Revit MEP Suite.... anybody else use this??
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 06:18:27 PM »
Autocad 08 is the base, or you just mean it comes with Autocad 08?

I don't believe Revit is based on Autocad at all, unless something DRASTIC has changed since I ran myself through the demo discs a while back.

Building Systems is based on Autocad, I know...

StykFacE

Revit MEP 2008.... Anybody else use it??
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 06:22:49 PM »
Just got the okay to upgrade to Revit MEP Suite, and it looks like it's gonna do wonders.... when I finally get over the learning curve.  :lol:

I just downloaded the 100MB tutorial add on and printed them out. about 150 pages just on the HVAC side, which is the only reason i'll be using it. And that's only for AutoCAD MEP - that's not even Revit. Anyways, anyone else use Revit MEP? I'll be posting some questions in the near future regarding this app, as soon as I get comfortable enough to use the new interface. Good thing AutoCAD '08 is still the base or i'd be lost at first... ha.

Anybody got any links for some good tut's or more info on this product? I know I can get the MEP side of things, but as far as the Revit side - i'll need some help I think. I'm taking the step in this direction to learn this because for only $75 more we got the Revit MEP Suite, which included Revit/MEP/AutoCAD 2008, vs. just upgrading me to Vanilla 2008. This is good because now we are B.I.M. ready as soon as I can get the hang of it. I want my company to go into this direction because I know that we'll be asked if we support B.I.M. in the near future.

Thanks everyone...  :mrgreen:

- T
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 06:23:59 PM by StykFacE »

Bob Garner

• Gator
Re: [EDIT] Revit MEP Suite.... anybody else use this??
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 06:41:30 PM »
Tanner,

I'm dying to get into Revit Structural but my company just isn't there yet.  Josh, do you think you will go there?

The Swamp would be a good place to try inter-disciplinary BIM's.  Oh well, I'm on the sidelines for now.

Bob

Josh Nieman

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 06:57:41 PM »
I have a demo disc of Revit Structure 9 sitting on my shelf.  I took myself through all the tutorials for Revit Building 9, to get familiar with Revit before diving into the version I actually cared about evaluating.  Sorry to say, I haven't dived into Structure yet, mainly because I doubt we'll be going that direction any time soon.

We're doing well with no complaints with vanilla Autocad, and I really don't think we can afford to take this many steps back (no matter how many steps forward it may take us) to switch to new software.  We're just way too busy at the moment.

I can't vouch for the benefits or disadvantages though.  Depending on the project, our engineers may do it by hand on a calc pad, or they will put the model into STAAD for the analysis.  So the engineering-side of Revit may not be welcome... these guys are way to set in their ways and accustomed to what tools they use now, to even CONSIDER evaluating another CAE program.   So that'd put Revit in our house as simply a drafting tool, unless something miraculous makes them pee their pants in glee, to put it bluntly.  I can't see proposing the investment of switching to Revit, at this point in time, for our small company. 

I can, however, see that it could be of benefit to use a BIM package if we get more bigger projects such as offshore platforms / rigs.  The thing is, our electrical guy (who is very experienced with offshore electrical design) just got on board with Building Systems, to aid him in dealing with some of the architects he deals with for that type of stuff.  I don't know how much weight one should put on "What're my buddies using" when selecting a BIM package, but it's a hurdle, for sure, that'd have to be addressed.

Short answer: no, but I'm keeping my eyes on it, and trying to keep my finger on it's pulse.

Dilbert

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 07:19:29 PM »
I can answer your Revit MEP questions as they come up.  I'm doing the exact reverse of you, I'm not trying to learn Revit MEP (I already understand that) I'm just trying to learn... MEP!  8-)  I'm an instructor for Revit Architecture and MEP (among other Autodesk software).

StykFacE

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 07:52:19 PM »
I can answer your Revit MEP questions as they come up.  I'm doing the exact reverse of you, I'm not trying to learn Revit MEP (I already understand that) I'm just trying to learn... MEP!  8-)  I'm an instructor for Revit Architecture and MEP (among other Autodesk software).

cool, well i'll be asking for sure. my engineer is extremely excited about me getting and learning Revit... he loves the idea of what it has to offer for sure. This program definitely is no AutoCAD tho, it's' got loooooots more to offer. :)

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 08:32:09 AM »
I can answer your Revit MEP questions as they come up.  I'm doing the exact reverse of you, I'm not trying to learn Revit MEP (I alread`y understand that) I'm just trying to learn... MEP!  8-)  I'm an instructor for Revit Architecture and MEP (among other Autodesk software).

cool, well i'll be asking for sure. my engineer is extremely excited about me getting and learning Revit... he loves the idea of what it has to offer for sure. This program definitely is no AutoCAD tho, it's' got loooooots more to offer. :)

It has lots more to offer than Vanilla CAD, but vs. MEP.....eh....not so much.  Revit MEP just isn't there with the content yet.  Autodesk seems to have (once again) put something out on the streets that isn't even close to being half-baked yet.  We have a couple of seats of MEP that are going to stay on the shelf for probably about another year or so (for production).  We're currently just "messing around" with it just to get a feel for it and how it operates; doing the tutorials, playing with the settings, seeing how our current standards (colors, lineweights, details, etc...) are going to blend with the Revit way of doing things.  Once we get the basics down, MEP will probably (hopefully) be at a point where we could use it for an entire project.  The last time I checked, MEP was missing the flat oval ducts and the content (valves) for plumbing was really lacking; I think there were all of 3 valves...Woo freakin' hoo!!

Of course, for the type of work you do, it may be a suitable product at this time.  We do everything here (CSMEPT) except for the architecture, so for us it's not a product we want to start a project with, then realize we have to back out and save the files as DWGs just to finish the job.

Don't get me wrong... I like Revit MEP and what it can do (if used properly).  I just feel that it's not at a point where it can be used for a complete job.

Dilbert

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 09:33:41 AM »
Don't get me wrong... I like Revit MEP and what it can do (if used properly).  I just feel that it's not at a point where it can be used for a complete job.
I would counter slightly by saying it can complete the job, it just might not be completed in a BIM fashion (you may find yourself scheduling/drawing certain things in a drafting/CAD fashion instead of a full BIM model). Its getting there, but it still needs further development to be a fully functional BIM package.

StykFacE

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 08:52:37 PM »
well for the record, i've been going stong on it since I've installed it. I've been making my own parts and custom fittings now, and from what I can tell it works wonders. I just need to get faster at it, and start utilizing it in the way it's designed, instead of using it in a vanilla AutoCAD style. but then again i'm teaching myself, with the help of this board a few good times. I'll get there tho and create my own judgement in due time.  ;-)

RFRusso

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 11:51:16 PM »
Ok StykFacE, I'm here now what? Sounds like you are up and running with Revit. I have already had 3 days of training with Arch and I should be getting my MEP training in January. It still looks like I have a long road to travel but I am looking forward to it.