Author Topic: Drag and Drop Drawings  (Read 16959 times)

Josh Nieman

Re: Drag and Drop Drawings
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2007, 05:46:16 PM »
  When someone comes to me wanting to design a home, that is one of the first things I ask.   Somewhere around 7 out of 10 times they plan they have in their head is considerably over their budget.  There are other guys locally that will just draw up what ever they want.  And then they take it to a contractor to find it is $60g over what they can afford.  So they are out the time and the $$ they spent on those plans.  I hate it when I have to tell people that.

I think programming would be different. What the program needed to do was already known. Why not just say it will be $X for that program?

That was kind of my thought  :|

Birdy

« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2007, 05:50:27 PM »

Josh Nieman

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2007, 05:50:47 PM »

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2007, 05:52:34 PM »
I think programming would be different. What the program needed to do was already known. Why not just say it will be $X for that program?

So you'd rather see me spend an hour and write a spec after determining if it CAN be donethen price it , then have the OP say "Well I only wanted to pay a max of $25.00" ... Is that what you'd like ?

Birdy

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2007, 06:03:04 PM »

:|

sorry...
No, I was rather enjoying it.  :lol:
Although it did start to get a tad out of hand. (like that's never happened before)

FWIW, I think pricing is generally based on what the market will bear.  IOW, charge as much as you can and still make the sale.  Maximize your profit.  If you are too high, and dont adjust accordingly, you'll soon be out of business.

You do have a valid point of view though, Josh.  Different than Kerrys, but valid none the less.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2007, 06:05:11 PM »
Shhhhhhh!!!  You guys are gonna attract the dead guy!

I've already parceled the drivel out of one thread today.  :-D

Josh Nieman

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2007, 06:05:22 PM »

:|

sorry...
No, I was rather enjoying it.  :lol:
Although it did start to get a tad out of hand. (like that's never happened before)

FWIW, I think pricing is generally based on what the market will bear.  IOW, charge as much as you can and still make the sale.  Maximize your profit.  If you are too high, and dont adjust accordingly, you'll soon be out of business.

You do have a valid point of view though, Josh.  Different than Kerrys, but valid none the less.

I wasn't trying to invalidate his view at all, just making a random comment.  My thoughts are coming from a more competitive market, where you need to make yours just as good (hopefully better) and make sure it's cheaper than the big dogs can do it, to ensure sale.  Of course at this company, it seems to be flooded with work atm, but we don't inflate our prices... we still charge standard rates.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2007, 02:45:47 AM »

Josh, I'vejust re-read your comments this thread.

I believe you owe me and the members here an apology.
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2007, 03:03:40 AM »
Josh,
I have been at the receiving end of Kerrys very generous nature more than once, and I am very thankful of his programs written as a one off for me.

For my very limited time in LEARNING any programming I would've thought that some things cannot be costed for. Looking at normal engineering/design bids... how many of those jobs go smoothly, no problems, no need for re-design because they work correctly first tiime off, or there is no problem with the land you wish to build on, or, well anything? Would or is the client happy that you have to go back with a "please can I have some more money, cos its going to cost more than I thought"

Can I ask... If your boss came up to you and told you that he will pay you a set amount of money per completed drawing, would you be happy? I know I wouldnt be, because theres always changes, things missed, and things that dont work. Some would be my fault, but some would be beyond my control, but I'd only get the same amount of money.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you cant always get it right first time, there always seems to be some unknown factor waiting to trip you up.

Kerry is, in my eyes, a very valuable member here. Willing to help members with programming wherever he can, and for that I am thankful.
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2007, 03:39:26 AM »

Thank you Tracey, I appreciate the comments.

not unrelated :
To me, the expression " a brown paper bag filled with green" simply means it will cost a lot, so allow for plenty ...  I doubt that anyone would seriously think that the statement was a legitimate quotation .. but I've been wrong before.

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2007, 05:48:46 AM »

I did too ... twice now. And I have to agree with you Kerry.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2007, 08:48:29 AM »

I probably should not get involved but ...TIME OUT!
I think both of you need to apologize.  I feel it is not entirely Josh's fault.  I too have re-read the post.  Both of you are right in your opinions of how one should charge for work.  However "I feel" both of you got out hand and/or did not make adjustments in your post to relieve the tension.  So both of you are at fault in my opinion.

****Play ball***
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 08:52:02 AM by Krushert »
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Josh Nieman

« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2007, 09:20:13 AM »

With all due respect, Mark, don't either of you hold your breath.

That's all I am gonna say more in this thread.

If someone wants to make something more of this than it is, it can be taken to PM, like it probably should have been before the insults started getting fired off haphazardly.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2007, 09:29:11 AM »

With all due respect, Mark, don't either of you hold your breath.

I wasn't Josh. :)
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

craigr

« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2007, 11:38:53 AM »
Staying out of the Apology argument....

To answer how I handle the copy from one dwg to the other on different monitors - I use the 'copybase' to Windows Clipboard then paste into the other dwg(s).

Wouldn't this work or am I misunderstanding what you want to do?

craigr