Author Topic: Project Directory Structure -- Local / Remote  (Read 2808 times)

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
Project Directory Structure -- Local / Remote
« on: August 02, 2007, 11:16:21 AM »
How does your project dir struct look? Did it change with Revit? I want to work locally and save back to the remote location; how do i set this up properly?

Any information regarding project set up would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using: Revit MEP 2008 -- Mechanical
I plan on starting my first project in the next few days. (Im stepping thru the tutorials today.)
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Dilbert

Re: Project Directory Structure -- Local / Remote
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 07:56:12 PM »
How you choose to setup your directory structure w/Revit is up to you. Just like how you've done things in the past, you want it setup in a fashion that its shared and others can access the files they need, but its up to you and your company culture how you go about that but it doesn't really need to be much (or any) different from what you've done in the past.

As far as how do you setup the "remote location" properly, you are talking about your Central File location.

To do this you first need to enable your worksets. You can find out more about this from your tutorials or the help menu. Next you need to do some thinking: how do you want to share your working environment? Do you want everyone to be able to make changes or do you want to "lock down" certain aspects so they can't be changed by certain individuals or that only certain individuals have "rights" to different objects? This is all controlled by the worksets and should be setup before you do any serious work on your project. Let me repeat..setup your worksets BEFORE you start doing any real design on the project, it will make things much easier.

Once you've done that you need to do a SaveAs.  This first save will be to save this file to the "central" location and you'll want to put this on the network in a shared location, your project folder.  Now close your drawing. Open this central file and do another SaveAs, just this time save it to your computer. This will be your local copy and everyone else will do the same thing. From here on out any time you choose "Save to Central" Revit will know to save it back to this central file on the network and a normal save will save to your computer.

If you have questions please post them, I know I gave all the steps but really over-simplified how easy it is for the first time you've done it. Once you've done it a few times it will become second nature to you, but until then you'll likely have to put some serious thought into how you want to handle things.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 07:57:44 PM by Dilbert »