Author Topic: Linetypes w/ Text  (Read 2135 times)

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
Linetypes w/ Text
« on: August 02, 2007, 07:59:21 PM »
I have a surveyed site plan from another company. When I tried to substitute a fence linetype with one that has a "X'" in it I noticed the "X" fell way of center from the line. I thought it wouldn't be a problem when I decided to keep the original fence lt, but now I'm drawing in utilities and the "UGE" from the underground elec linetype is way off center.
I've tried the same lines in a new dwg w/o a problem and I know placement of the text is determined in the line code, so there has to something about this dwg that kicking the text out of line.

Help!
Acad 2013 and XM
Back when High Tech meant you had an adjustable triangle

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
Re: Linetypes w/ Text
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 09:48:06 PM »
might be the text style screwing it up
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 10:52:36 PM »
Could be, def worth a look, though it is only that dwg. If I paste any one of the lines into a new dwg its ok.
It would probably be helpfull if I posted the file. Tomorrow.
Stay Dry!
Thanks
Acad 2013 and XM

Dinosaur

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 11:15:34 PM »
If the name of the style used in the original linetype was already defined in that drawing with a different width factor or height it could cause the text to appear differently on that linetype just in that drawing.  Compare the style definitions in a drawing that it seems correct in and the problem drawing.

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 10:18:45 AM »
Here's the problem child with a txt of the linetypes.
I did notice the Standard text style is set w/ a simplex font. Could that be the problem?

If the name of the style used in the original linetype was already defined in that drawing with a different width factor or height it could cause the text to appear differently on that linetype just in that drawing. 

Did notice that. Their fenceline1 had O's in the lt, our fenceline1 had X's. That were I ran into problems trading out linetypes.

Compare the style definitions in a drawing that it seems correct in and the problem drawing.

Ok, I'm on the learning curve here. If they had their own line definitions, that we do not have, when opening the file, ACAD would ask to substitute. It did not. So if they had modified the definitions (with the same name) CAD would simply take the definitions from our *.lin file and everyting would be fine, not even noticeable, (right?)

Compare the style definitions in a drawing that it seems correct in and the problem drawing.

How does one tell what *.lin one or the other dwg is pulling from?

Thanks/Hope All is well

Acad 2013 and XM

Dinosaur

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 10:32:08 AM »
. . . too much to mess with . . .
clarification
I was referring to the TEXT style used for the text element on the linetype

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 10:34:28 AM »
me thinks the search order is, current drawing>>then path as specified in Options

should your X not be falling where there O's where, you will want to jimmy with the text

A,1.0,-.02,["X",STANDARD,S=.075,R=0.0,X=-0.025,Y=-.0375],-.02
*CHAINLINK_1, Chain Link Fence with spaces
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 10:51:18 AM »
clarification

I'd like to, but I've looked at my post "today, 0918" and I don't see a "too much to mess with", maybe I need new glasses. Hope it did not sound improper. If so, my apologies!

Found it! ! !
The height of the text was set @ .12, in the text style, should be 0 so the lt definition would set the ht.
Thanks for all the efforts and apologies for any confusion.
Hope all have a great w/e
Acad 2013 and XM

Dinosaur

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 10:57:01 AM »
clarification
I'd like to, but I've looked at my post "today, 0918" and I don't see a "too much to mess with", maybe I need new glasses. Hope it did not sound improper. If so, my apologies!

Found it! ! !
The height of the text was set @ .12, in the text style, should be 0 so the lt definition would set the ht.
Thanks for all the efforts and apologies for any confusion.
Hope all have a great w/e

sorry to confuse you . . . I didn't feel like pulling out several things I wanted to address with the same answer but still refer to the post.
glad you solved the problem
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 12:20:53 PM by Maverick® »