Author Topic: Justifying the Upgrade  (Read 14356 times)

M-dub

Justifying the Upgrade
« on: July 19, 2007, 12:40:14 PM »
Hey All,

I've tried for years to get our company to upgrade our software, but the dollar signs scare them away so we end up relying on programs to convert the drawings to previous versions of AutoCAD, enabling us to open and modify them.  One thing I'd like to throw at them are the newer functions such as Dynamic Blocks, etc. that our software doesn't have.

I would imagine that if a client sends us a drawing that contains dynamic blocks, some vital information would be lost, thus angering our clients upon the drawing return.  It made me wonder... just how much information would be lost if converting a drawing from say... 2007 down to 2000?  Does anyone have any ideas or advice?

Thanks a lot,
                   Mike

Re: Justifying the Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 12:48:27 PM »
At some point you're going to have to upgrade.... and by that time, it may not just be the software you'll need to upgrade.  If you have to upgrade the hardware to handle the software, well then.... you think they're scared of the dollar signs now??!?

How many seats of ACAD do you have (and why aren't you on the subscription program?)?

As for lost information... it's hard to say just *how* much would be/could be lost; but there is the potential.

How much are you spending (time / money) on software to convert drawings so that you can use them?

M-dub

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 12:54:24 PM »
We now use DWG TrueConvert from Autodesk and it IS a great tool for doing just that, but my only concern is what we're removing from the drawings that our clients obviously put in there for a reason.  Time and money is next to nothing.  The program is free and it only takes a second to convert.

I don't believe they've EVER been on the subscription program, but I'm pushing it a little stronger now... not that it will do much good.  It would cost us about $20,000 to get what we need.  I know, because one of our clients is upgrading to 2008 and will be getting back onto the subscription program.  After that, they will have to spend roughly $2,000 / yr to stay current.  We both have about the same setup.  3 seats of acad and 2 of Raster Design.  We'd only need 1 RD, though.

Bob

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 12:56:59 PM »
We are in a similar position.

We stopped upgrading past 2000. (before there was a suscription).

So far we haven't had any problems with using AutoDesk's True Convert (apart from the copy & paste problem that was rectified in the last version).

I still haven't received any drawings with a complicated table in it. That would be interesting if somebody could post one.

We've saved a fortune in not upgrading. Still not sure if its the right choice but open to suggestion.  

We have 25 Full acad and 40 lite
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 01:00:19 PM by Bob »

M-dub

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 01:00:16 PM »
Well, the first p!$$ed off client that comes to us ranting and raving about something like this should be enough justification, but I'd like to avoid that situation altogether.

M-dub

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 01:03:48 PM »
I just found this .pdf on the TrueConvert page...

8. What happens to custom objects created by Autodesk or third-party add-on applications when 2007-based DWG files are converted using DWG TrueConvert software?
When you create Autodesk or third-party custom objects in AutoCAD DWG files and save your drawing with proxy graphics turned on, you can convert these drawings and maintain visual fidelity of the custom objects. However, you cannot edit the drawing in other releases. To modify custom objects in other releases, explode the custom objects in the drawing before you convert it.
• If you want to convert drawings created with Autodesk® Architectural Desktop or AutoCAD® Mechanical software, use the Save to AutoCAD DWG feature before you convert the drawing.
• For drawings that contain custom objects, it is recommended that you do not use the DWG TrueConvert software to convert them to a newer release.
• When a drawing that contains custom objects is converted, the custom objects themselves are not converted. Unexpected results might occur if you attempt to open the converted drawing in a custom object application.

CADaver

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 01:10:57 PM »
We've saved a fortune in not upgrading.
you've pobably just postponed the expenditure.  BTW, the learning curve from r2000 to r2008 is steep, as is any upgrade of exisiting customization, another cost to consider.

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 01:17:47 PM »

We've saved a fortune in not upgrading. Still not sure if its the right choice but open to suggestion.  

We have 25 Full acad and 40 lite

You're going to spend a fortune to upgrade...

Let's say a subscription for ACAD is $500 (let's use nice, round numbers).  And you stopped upgrading, what..., 6 years ago??
25 x 500 x 6 = 75,000.

Now to upgrade (actually you'd be buying new because I don't think you can upgrade anymore - not from that version to the current)... if ACAD costs 3,500 (just guessing, not quite sure of the actual cost) with a $500 subscription fee....

25 x (3500 + 500) = $100,000.  Now how much money did you save??!?

Bob

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 04:57:48 PM »
Don't forget in the UK that our upgrade costs are twice yours.

Your $500 upgrade was £500 in the UK. ($1000)

So ignoring the lite copies the upgrade costs were £75000 = $150 000.

We still have saved the money and we still have a good robust product (judging by the amount of bugs in the new releases). :angel:

I'm not saying that its right but the features were evaluated against autocad 2000. The new features weren't our bag. They didn't suit our industry.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 04:59:09 PM by Bob »

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 05:00:01 PM »
The new features weren't our bag. They didn't suit our industry.

It all comes down to what type of work you do and what you currently have in place.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  But there will come a time, MARK MY WORDS, that you will have to make the leap.  Just don't kill yourself jumping!

Bob

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 05:03:20 PM »
Thanks,

Its not an easy decision to make.

The justification wasn't there to upgrade. Especially when Autodork provide a free program....

Josh Nieman

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 05:05:08 PM »
The new features weren't our bag. They didn't suit our industry.

It all comes down to what type of work you do and what you currently have in place.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  But there will come a time, MARK MY WORDS, that you will have to make the leap.  Just don't kill yourself jumping!

I know of two guys back home who still draw on the board, making a comfortable living doing residential house plans for people.  It was my first peak into the drafting world, when my dad had him do the plans for his house he built when I was around 4th grade.  I remember seeing his office or whatever you want to call it.  He worked out of his home, and the side door went into his office, and I remember seeing all his tools, tables, and drawings in the quite large (for a home) room that they both worked in.

This is by no stretch an argument against upgrading... just an interesting side note about a successful exception to the 'rule'.

CADaver

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 05:15:48 PM »
We still have saved the money and ....
Just remember that with every new release the learning curve for the jump gets that much steeper.  We held at R2002 and are now making the jump to R2008.  The learning curve and customization upgrades are a serious drain on anything we might have saved by not upgrading.  That only gets worse.

sinc

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 05:58:40 PM »
We know an architect who still uses R13.   :-o

Bob

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 06:25:56 PM »
13 stank.

14 was good.

2K is better