Author Topic: Exporting ADT3.3 into 3D Studio Max 6  (Read 15411 times)

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
Exporting ADT3.3 into 3D Studio Max 6
« on: July 07, 2004, 11:52:38 AM »
A little background:

Wall, Door, & Window components are specifed in their styles for model view to be on seperate sub-layers with color by-layer.  That is to say that a door AEC object is on the A-Door layer, but the components are all on their own sub-layers...A-Door-Frame, A-Door-Panel...etc...

I need to be able to export from ADT3.3 into 3DS 6 with enough control to apply the materials to each sub-portion of the AEC objects according to the layers.

What would be the procedure for this?  Explode AEC Content?  3dsOut at the command line without exploding?  I'm new to this, and I want to get it right the first time as to not develop any bad habits.  What would be the correct procedure if mine is wrong?  I appreciate it :twisted:

hendie

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 11:57:17 AM »
I don't have Max 6 and I've never used ADT but you should be able to "Insert"  ~ "AutoCad Dwg" and bring in the objects "Bylayer"

hendie

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 11:59:36 AM »
I should mention that I use Acad 2000 & Viz3 and that works for me

daron

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 01:39:16 PM »
What you need to have for your doors to have the proper multi-sub-object material, is to change the parts to the door or window or wall assembly to different colors in ADT. Then, once you import your drawing to max, set the numbers of the multi-sub-object to match the particular objects color. The door/window/wall should take on the MSO materials look. It's all detailed in Paul Aubin's book for ADT. That's a good reference manual for ADT, too. If you're interested in his book, go to www.paulaubin.com
No, I'm not promoting his work, nor would I be compensated for doing so. I just happen to think it's a worthwhile reference manual.

daron

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 01:41:11 PM »
P.S. Exploding anything AEC is a bad habit. And no, layers are ineffectual. You can change the layers, but changing the colors of the objects components is what is important.

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 06:44:57 PM »
Okay...then here's another question...since everything looks great in ADT...can I make a flyby animation with all materials rendered thru ADT itself?  I didn't see an option for a ray traced render with the create video command...

Here's an image of my ADT rendering...

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 11:22:42 PM »
I haven't tried to use a raytrace option in ADT animation, only simple render as that is all that was required during the projects I have done. Didnt even have to apply materials in the animation, since it was merely to be used by the construction team to better visualize the object.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

daron

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2004, 08:18:11 AM »
Yes you can do a flyby in ADT. Use the cameras to do this. It's the same with MAX, but much more cumbersome. Max is what you really want to use since you can create avi and mov files in max where ADT, I don't recall seeing that ability. Also, it's easier to do lighting and cameras in MAX. Oh, and that VIZ Render thing in ADT is garbage. It's only for materials. All the lights and cameras are still like the standard Autocad objects. Using max allows you to see light and shadow before rendering it, although it's still not exact. Then, be careful with radiosity solutions. Those can be tricky. Have fun. I think it is.

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004, 10:56:18 AM »
Quote from: Daron
Oh, and that VIZ Render thing in ADT is garbage.

Well, I'm trying to sell my bosses on getting ADT 2005 and I was using that the Viz Render as a selling point because of the ease of getting my drawing in there and adding materials, lights, etc and doing flyby's and walkthroughs.  I don't know if it's because I'm using ADT 3.3, but when imported into 3DS 6, I can't apply materials to my model.  Argh!  I'm so confused....

hendie

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2004, 11:09:36 AM »
Quote from: Dommy2Hotty
, I can't apply materials to my model.  Argh!  I'm so confused....

can you expand on that a bit more ?
what happens when you try to apply a material ?
can you select entities separately ?

when you are importing the model, what do you have selected under the import options ? (Convert to single objects / Convert Blocks to Groups etc)

daron

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2004, 11:09:40 AM »
I can't speak for VIZ render in 2005. I tried it once in 2004 and decided I'd stick with VIZ. Now I have Max. If you want to do good materials, lighting and animations, get VIZ. Your version of ADT can be read by VIZ4+. If you upgrade to 2004ADT, you would need VIZ 6 or MAX 5 or 6. Viz is more suitable for your needs. It costs less than autocad and if you use it, and it seems that you would, it would be worth it. There are many other selling points to 2004 or 5 and I'm sure some of the people here could help you come up with some. The only things I can think of are tool pallettes and that layer manager for ADT. I'm sure there are more.

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2004, 11:27:24 AM »
Quote from: Daron
Now I have Max. If you want to do good materials, lighting and animations, get VIZ. Your version of ADT can be read by VIZ4+. If you upgrade to 2004ADT, you would need VIZ 6 or MAX 5 or 6.

We have MAX 6 as of now, but I'm really discouraged because of the results we've gotten trying to import a ADT 3.3 drawing.  I was hoping maybe ADT 2005 would be easier to import into MAX 6 or that new VIZ Render that ships with ADT 2005.  I've tried exploding AEC Objects, leaving them AEC, importing with all the different options, i.e. color, layer, etc...still no materials would attach correctly.  I should say materials with bitmaps wouldn't attach correctly.  It would just change the color of the object.  Plus, there were some triangled gaps/breaks in some exterior walls at the corners.

EDIT: Also, where the two floors meet, there is that shadow looking thing...

hendie

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2004, 11:32:41 AM »
-> still no materials would attach correctly

did you have mapping applied ? try setting the material to 2 sided

can you post a screenshot of what happens when you apply a material ? that may help us spot some/anything

daron

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2004, 02:29:45 PM »
That shadow thingy is from the different shadow features. Render using different shadow maps, i.e. raytrace rendering.

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2004, 04:47:22 PM »
If anyone wants to give it a try, HERE is the ADT 3.3 file