Author Topic: Plot control  (Read 2904 times)

Luke

Plot control
« on: June 22, 2007, 05:00:17 PM »
AutoCAD 2008 Full Version Vanilla.

I'm not looking to open a whole discussion on attributes, xrefs, dynamic blocks etc.  Seems to me this should be basic AutoCAD but I'm not sure it exists.  Lets say I'm creating a block.  Sometime I want to label those blocks so I know what they are called.  Or I want to label the blocks so I know without measuring that it is my 36" door not the 32" door.  Or I want to put a note on it not to mirror.  Or I want to makr where the insertion point or a reference point is.  Is there a way to draw everything on 1 layer so when I freeze or turn off EVERYTHING turns off.  But set it up so my "block" plot but my notes will not show up on the paper?

So forget about the fact that I'm showing a sample of a door.  Look at the concept.  Is there a way to put everything on one layer but only plot (in this case) what is shown in red?

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
Re: Plot control
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 05:09:03 PM »
Yes.  When you create the block, put the objects you want on a certain layer, and make that layer a non-plotting layer.  This way if the layer is on, it still won't plot.  Just like DefPoints.
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

Luke

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 05:10:06 PM »
Sorry I accidentally posted to wrong forum.  Hopefully moderator will move to Vanilla Acad post...

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 05:11:19 PM »
Sorry I accidentally posted to wrong forum.  Hopefully moderator will move to Vanilla Acad post...

I was hoping so.  One will be along shortly and move it.  But do you need help now?  I can answer some questions about this if you like.
Tim

Luke

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 05:11:45 PM »
T.
I want all contents of that block on the same layer.  That when when I freeze or turn that layer off the whol thing goes off.  If it is on multiple layers it turns into a layer nightmare.  Can it be done using the same layer throughout is the question?

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 05:13:45 PM »
T.
I want all contents of that block on the same layer.  That when when I freeze or turn that layer off the whol thing goes off.  If it is on multiple layers it turns into a layer nightmare.  Can it be done using the same layer throughout is the question?
I don't think so.  Maybe in '08 objects have plotting/non-plotting ability, but I haven't seen anything yet.  But if you freeze the layer the block is inserted one, all objects won't show, but if you turn off said layer, the other objects will show (I think).  Off to test real fast.
Tim

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 05:15:20 PM »
Hang on folks!  We're moving!

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 05:18:08 PM »
Hang on folks!  We're moving!
Thanks Mav.

It works like I said.  Here is a test drawing.  The text is on layer text, the attribute is on layer attribute, the circle is on layer circle, and the block is inserted on layer block.  All objects are in the block.  If you turn off block layer, all objects show, but if you freeze block layer all objects don't show.

Will this work for you?
Tim

Luke

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 05:23:39 PM »
It will work and that is what I've been doing.  I'm using 2008 and thought maybe somewhere in there you could finally control visability state per "object"  or maybe somebody had customized something to do that.  Guess AutoDesk just has not thought of something that simple yet.

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 05:26:14 PM »
It will work and that is what I've been doing.  I'm using 2008 and thought maybe somewhere in there you could finally control visability state per "object"  or maybe somebody had customized something to do that.  Guess AutoDesk just has not thought of something that simple yet.
You can make objects invisible.  But you would have to pick them, or you could do it by some filter that you would decide.

For example.  Door blocks, find them all, step through them and making certain objects within them invisible, then turn them back on.  Might be more trouble than it's worth for what you want though.
Tim

CADaver

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 09:04:51 PM »
You can freeze the layer on which the block is inserted, and the entire block will disappear regardless of the layers contained within the block.

Question about your "simple" request to control visibility by object, how do you turn it back on again?  Doesn't seem all that "simple" to me.