Author Topic: Optimum Settings for Import of DWG into 3ds Max  (Read 7297 times)

Josh Nieman

Optimum Settings for Import of DWG into 3ds Max
« on: June 12, 2007, 02:01:20 PM »
Since I see that there are a handful of people that deal with Max, I'm wondering.

If you have a dwg model of your project, and you render it in 3dsmax... what do you do to ensure little-to-no work is needed in 3dsmax?  Are there specific importing guidelines into 3dsmax that you adhere to?

deegeecees

Re: Optimum Settings for Import of DWG into 3ds Max
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 04:32:36 PM »
None that I know of, you can alternately export to 3ds from AutoCad as well.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 04:36:21 PM »
None that I know of, you can alternately export to 3ds from AutoCad as well.

Yea, the new 3dsout is the same dialog that 3dsmax has for importing a dwg.  It has settings for 'welding' and 'smoothness' and I'm wondering what those really do, and what the pros/cons are for setting them one way or another.

deegeecees

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 04:48:25 PM »
I'm on AutoCad 2004, and use a "Trial" copy of Rhino, but I have used Max in the past, can't recall which way the numbers go to push the tesselations up or down, but I think a quick look at the help file might give you the info you need. But, again I'm stating the obvious.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 05:02:14 PM »
yea, I may have to mess with that... problem is 3dsout was discontinued in 2007, and they only recently added 3dsout to autocad 2008... actually they didnt, they offered up a "3dsout" .arx file for download that i found a link to from some autodesk employee on the NGs.  either there was no help file, or I didnt DL it, I'll have to check, but either way, it's not in the actual help file.

I'm also having troubles... the recipient is using 3dsmax 9, and no matter what I do, the file is unopenable, says data is invalid or corrupt... ugh... it creates a 13kb file from over 2000 3d solid obects in the dwg file.  Which seems ungodly small, but I'm unfamiliar with .3ds files so I dont know.  I guess if it were simple point data for every surface vertex, it may condense a lot, but 13kb seems teeeeeny.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 05:03:47 PM »
as I thought, I simply didnt download it...

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/readme_3dsout.html

*continues reading*

psh... not much help anyways... all stuff I already knew.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 05:07:58 PM by Josh Nieman »

Tuoni

• Gator
  • I do stuff, and things!
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 05:39:36 PM »
I can't really help you here - I have written import tools but not for 3D, that was the programmer I am meeting with in Denmark on wednesday.  I can ask him if you like?

Josh Nieman

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 05:56:05 PM »
well I got the DWG to be able to be IMPORTED into 3dsmax... took out EVERYTHING that was NOT a 3d solid.

but after I redownloaded and reinstalled and reloaded the .arx files the 3ds file created of that same DWG, though, failed to open, but it was 5mb in size, which seemed more promising.

odd...

I can't really help you here - I have written import tools but not for 3D, that was the programmer I am meeting with in Denmark on wednesday.  I can ask him if you like?

no, that's ok.  this is a rare occurence that I seem to have found a way to make it work.  I do appreciate the offer though!

Tuoni

• Gator
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 05:58:22 PM »
no, that's ok.  this is a rare occurence that I seem to have found a way to make it work.  I do appreciate the offer though!
Not a problem :)

Tuoni

• Gator
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 06:31:19 AM »
I came across this whilst looking for something else - it of any use to you Josh? http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/3dsimporter

Josh Nieman

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 09:08:26 AM »
I came across this whilst looking for something else - it of any use to you Josh? http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/3dsimporter

Thanks for the tip, I downloaded it in case I need to send this guy another file.  I'll see if it works for him, next time around :)

deegeecees

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 10:08:50 AM »

Definitely a must have! (for those of us too used to doing things in AutCad). This will shorten the lurning kerve.