Author Topic: Working with Revit and ABS/MEP  (Read 4415 times)

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
Working with Revit and ABS/MEP
« on: June 06, 2007, 12:58:44 PM »
Anyone currently working with Revit and ABS/MEP?

I am currently looking for a way to draft/design in MEP and coordinate/design in Revit on several projects. (Revit seems pretty good for MEP `design' but horrible for drafting at the moment)

Ive heard many a rumor about using ACAD, Sketchup/Jetstream,etc., and Revit but i cant get anything to work well enough for my taste.

Comments?

MEP 2008
Revit MEP 2008
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Re: Working with Revit and ABS/MEP
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 01:19:23 PM »
AutoCAD MEP - Good  :-)
Revit MEP - Bad  :-(

From what I've seen and everything that I've heard about Revit MEP it's way, WAAAAY too early to draw anything worthwhile.  Just look at the piping.  Three valves??!   One of which is a suction valve (can't remember the other two) but if you're going to release a product, how 'bout throwing in a more common valve like a ball or butterfly valve.

One BIG PITA that I noticed with R-MEP is supply diffusers.  Insert one.... what's it's elevation (or 'offset' as they call it)?  ZEE-FREAKIN'-RO!  You don't have an option of setting an elevation when you insert it so you'll either have to 1) change them as you go or 2) if you typically place them at, say 8-feet, you can modify the diffuser part or family (whatever the hell they call it) and move it in the Z plane 8' (or whatever you'd like).

I don't think R-MEP 2008 has flat-oval ductwork either, does it?

The electrical seems to be pretty good (from what I've seen) but it's not nearly complete as it should be.  Theres still a LOT of content missing.  They've got what... ONE type of receptacle and one type of switch??  Do they expect you to manually label the various types that you could have on a job?

We don't plan on moving to R-MEP any time soon simply because of the lack of content available.  AutoCAD MEP is more developed and has more content.  Oh, and I wouldn't expect Trane or Carrier to start developing any content for R-MEP any time soon.... they barely have anything for A-MEP.

R-MEP also makes it somewhat more difficult to create your own custom content.

As for Navisworks (or Jetstream) that would most likely be the way to go to determine any collisions.  You can export your R-MEP or A-MEP drawing as 3D objects and essentially import them into Navisworks, run a check and get detailed reports for each collision.  It also has a really nice walk-thru feature.  I'm hoping we buy a seat or two when Navisworks is released by Autodesk (fingers crossed).

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 01:38:42 PM »
They--Autodesk--are waiting for manufactures to build content but that doesn't seem to be  happening; i spoke with some people from B&G and they basically just plain said no. McQuay, Trane etc haven't even called back.

We are being forced into Revit for several projects. Architect is ``REQUIRING'' Revit models. (I don't think they understand the impact just yet.)

Donate to TheSwamp.org

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 01:42:44 PM »
Of course the architect is requiring them... Revit Architecture has been around for NINE YEARS!  It's OBVIOUSLY more mature than Revit MEP which has only been around for what....  a year and a half (if that)?

The can always draw everything in ABS then export it as a "dumb" 3D drawing and import it into Revit.

A better option would be to use Navisworks (just my opinion).

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 01:44:57 PM »
How does ABS/MEP work with Navisworks? ...3dsolids only?

Donate to TheSwamp.org

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 01:47:51 PM »
I believe so.

And it's my understanding that you can assign system names to various objects so that when you run a collision report it will tell you that a sprinkler pipe is running through your supply duct (for example).  It's quite a powerful tool.

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 01:50:10 PM »
huh?! I may have to revisit that option then. (I all but dismissed it earlier)

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Josh Nieman

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 01:51:21 PM »
I believe so.

And it's my understanding that you can assign system names to various objects so that when you run a collision report it will tell you that a sprinkler pipe is running through your supply duct (for example).  It's quite a powerful tool.

hehe... I can just see what some models made by the type of people here would say, if their block naming has anything to fortell...

"5 collisions detected from the DSAofdas by the asdhfaudsgarf"

"collision detected between the CRAPHOLE and SUCKPIPE"

we have some... creative... people here... ;)  At least I got them all to stop naming their LAYERS after, what looks like, them punching the keyboard...

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 01:53:44 PM »
Yeah, I would look into it.   In fact, I AM going to look into it.... After I have a chat with our CEO to let him know what the scoop is with RMEP.

Myself and one of the HVAC drafters went to a hands-on workshop on Monday for RMEP 2008 and we didn't really like what we saw.  The auto-layout was a pain and never drew a complete connection from the VAV box to the four diffusers I had drawn.  I either got some flex duct or a couple of pieces of duct from the VAV box (but not connected to it) to the diffusers.