Author Topic: Visibility states - I don't get it  (Read 20345 times)

kim

Visibility states - I don't get it
« on: June 05, 2007, 06:22:53 PM »
 :ugly: I feel like a retard when it comes to dynamic blocks.  I just took and AUGI Cad Camp in Denver and learned alot about them, but this whole visibility thing is really getting on my nerves.  I am sure there is something really simple that I am overlooking here, but I am simply trying to create an elevation symbol block that I can have the top and bottom text showing, just the top text, or just the bottom text.  I created the block and the visibility states and it inserts fine but when I pick the grip to change the visibility, it just stays the same. What am I missing?

(Jonesy - edited thread title for future searches)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 01:37:54 AM by jonesy »

Birdy

Re: Visibility states - I don't get it
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 09:27:41 PM »
In the dblock editor, you have to select what you want visible, and invisible, for each state.
Try toggling the visibility mode button. (highlighted).
The example shown is actually about a half dozen or so arrows all piled up on one another.  For each visibility state, only ONE is visible, the rest are set to invisible.

Not sure if this helps, but hopefully it's a start.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 01:37:11 AM by jonesy »

Mr Cory

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 01:27:04 AM »
Beautifully put Jim, also when you are in the b/editor if you select the text and right click, down the bottom there is a flyout for the selected object/s visibility.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 01:38:35 AM by jonesy »

kim

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 10:24:46 AM »
So are you saying that i need to have three blocks piled on top of each other?  I have three visibility states, one for both on, top only, and bot only, in each one i chose which line i wanted to be invisible. Can this not be done with just one block?
I am attaching an example of the result I am looking for. Thanks for the help

daron

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 10:51:10 AM »
No. You can set three states. One where everything is on. One where the top text is invisible and one where the bottom text is invisible. I'll look at the example.

daron

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 11:01:22 AM »
Of course, now that I look at it, attributes are a bit difficult to work with when it comes to Dynablocks. Your best bet is to just not have text in the attribute if you want it invisible. I think that was what the all knowing programmers at Autodesk were thinking when they made that bug... er, feature. Of course, they never think that someone might actually want the ability to do that. I'm using 2008, so in case you're not and were hoping it would be fixed in 2008, it's not.

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 11:14:53 AM »
ditto, we tried to use Dyn blks w/ attributes, but found it impossible
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

kim

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 11:46:38 AM »
Great! Thanks! At least now I won't waste any more time on it.  I am using 2008 also, those guys at Augi made these look so easy so I was trying to turn some of my old wblocks into dynamic blocks. Thanks for the help.

whdjr

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 01:53:41 PM »
Of course, now that I look at it, attributes are a bit difficult to work with when it comes to Dynablocks. Your best bet is to just not have text in the attribute if you want it invisible. I think that was what the all knowing programmers at Autodesk were thinking when they made that bug... er, feature. Of course, they never think that someone might actually want the ability to do that. I'm using 2008, so in case you're not and were hoping it would be fixed in 2008, it's not.

ditto, we tried to use Dyn blks w/ attributes, but found it impossible

I'm not sure what you guys are smoking but we have tons of dynamic blocks with attributes.  What issues are you currently having?

Birdy

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 02:37:37 PM »
So do we. (well, not tons...) but none of the attributes have visibility states.

daron

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 02:45:19 PM »
The issue with this was that you couldn't change the visibility state of an attribute. Maybe it's possible, maybe it's not. I tried it only once on his drawing and it didn't work. Will, if you have a block that allows the toggling of visibility states, please, lend a tutorial or the block so we can dissect it.

LE

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 02:54:52 PM »
I'm not sure what you guys are smoking but we have tons of dynamic blocks with attributes.  What issues are you currently having?

:oops: I only have done one and use it and that's it..... for windows in plan view....   :cry:

Mr Cory

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 04:40:27 PM »
Im with Will on this one, i have a table made form dynamic blocks that uses attribute, and i have a different vis state for the amount of line required, they hide fine. Just note that the attributes need to have different tags and names, otherwise thats when you get your problems

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »
I'd like to see an example too....I could not get her block to work.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

Mr Cory

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 05:20:58 PM »
You need to change the attributes to "lock position"

Dynamic blocks wont touch attributes that arent, id say that is where alot of problems are coming from. If you need them to be moved around freely create a point param with a move