Author Topic: Why did they change cycling in 2008  (Read 4004 times)

ELOQUINTET

Why did they change cycling in 2008
« on: May 30, 2007, 10:52:00 AM »
Hey guys,

I decided today that I would finally begin working in 2008. I had noticed a difference in cycling while playing around but now that I'm really drawing it was very annoying. I cycle through objects by holding down control and left mouse but now it doesn't work. Maybe this was introduced in 2007 for 3d but I just discovered there is a new variable listed below FYI ahhhh not it's back:

LEGACYCTRLPICK

Specifies the keys for selection cycling and the behavior for CTRL + left-click.

Specifies the keys for selection cycling and the behavior for CTRL + left-click.

CTRL + left-click is used to select subobjects (faces, edges, and vertices) on 3D solids.

CTRL + left-click is used to cycle through overlapping objects. Disallows using CTRL + left-click to select subobjects on 3D solids.

Re: Why did they change cycling in 2008
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 11:11:11 AM »
Nice.  Although I've gotten used to the new and "improved" way, it's nice to know there's a way to go back!

Thanks.

Kate M

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 12:53:31 PM »
Just be aware of the 3D selection implications...and that the variable doesn't exist in LT. :pissed:

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 01:47:19 PM »
Matt,

What is the new and "improved" way? I accidentally checked to not show the box again  :? Kate explain what you mean by 3d implications? Do you mean that I can toggle it back when doing 3d. We don't do much 3d here and when we do we don't use Autocad.

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 01:50:09 PM »
The new and improved way is the more complicated way (IMHO): pressing CTRL + SPACE.

It was a joke.  I haven't seen any benefit from pressing C + S to cycle between entities.  Just more confusion (and questions from users).

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 01:53:45 PM »
While I'm here Can I ask a non related question. I have my dashboard set to Autohide but I also want to add to ability to have it expand by shortcut key like there is for the other palettes (ctrl+3). Sometimes I get annoyed with having to hover over it all the time. How can I do this?

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 02:00:23 PM »
ummm Matt just out of curiousity I switched the variable back and tried to figure out the new way and can't. Let's say I have two lines very close to one another, How do I toggle through them to erase the one I want? I couldn't get it to work???

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 02:21:31 PM »
'Spose to be SHIFT + SPACE, not ctrl + space like I mentioned earlier.

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 02:24:22 PM »
While I'm here Can I ask a non related question. I have my dashboard set to Autohide but I also want to add to ability to have it expand by shortcut key like there is for the other palettes (ctrl+3). Sometimes I get annoyed with having to hover over it all the time. How can I do this?
Do you have it docked or anchored?

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 02:44:03 PM »
I had it anchored but suppose I could dock it. I was thinking about creating a temporary override but doesn't a command need to be active for those to work. Basically I want to put my toolbars in the dashboard and want to be able to quickly access them from the keyboard as well as hover method. I have also added dashboard to my right click menu.

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 02:49:36 PM »
The reason I was asking is because anchored palettes seem to open MUCH faster than docked palettes (in my experience).  As soon as I hover over the icon the palette is displayed...there's no lag time at all.  It just seems to me that that would be faster than pressing CTRL + 3.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 02:58:18 PM »
The reason I was asking is because anchored palettes seem to open MUCH faster than docked palettes (in my experience).  As soon as I hover over the icon the palette is displayed...there's no lag time at all.  It just seems to me that that would be faster than pressing CTRL + 3.
Doesn't answer your question directly I know but may be of help.

AutoCAD Tool Palette Rollup and Rollout Speed
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 03:07:10 PM »
Doesn't answer your question directly I know but may be of help.

AutoCAD Tool Palette Rollup and Rollout Speed
I thought about that, but when the palettes are anchored and you hover over them BAM! they show up automatically so I don't know what the big difference is between docking and anchoring that makes them show up slower when docked.

Kate M

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 04:45:40 PM »
LEGACYCTRLPICK

CTRL + left-click is used to cycle through overlapping objects. Disallows using CTRL + left-click to select subobjects on 3D solids.

If you don't do 3D in AutoCAD (we don't either), then you won't miss it. I have to learn the new way, though, 'cause my LT users can't switch it back. :|

The new and improved way is the more complicated way (IMHO): pressing SHIFT + SPACE.

Now that I've gotten used to it (which actually didn't take very long), I don't mind it. It's just as easy to hold down Shift and thumb through Spaces as to click, and the new version works with the selection preview highlight, which I like too.

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 04:46:32 PM »
yeah I was playing around with the Rollup/out speed too. I'm trying to find the right combo. See I don't reall like my dashboard to appear the instant I hover over it as I accidently hover over it alot and it's always expanding when I don't want and the reverse applies too I don't want it collapsing as soon as I take my pointer off it. I just need to find the right setting for me i think thanks

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 04:53:03 PM »
yeah I was playing around with the Rollup/out speed too. I'm trying to find the right combo. See I don't reall like my dashboard to appear the instant I hover over it as I accidently hover over it alot and it's always expanding when I don't want and the reverse applies too I don't want it collapsing as soon as I take my pointer off it. I just need to find the right setting for me i think thanks

No Problem.

Another possible solution to your Problem.  Two Monitors.  It works for me.  :kewl:
Dashboard Properties & Tool Pallet stays open all the time on the second monitor.

sinc

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 04:56:27 PM »
As a side note, LEGACYCTRLPICK must be set to 0 for Civil-3D 2008.

If you set it to 1, there is no way to select labels, thanks to Autodesk's extremely-user-unfriendly new implementation of labels.

I haven't really tried using Dashboard yet.  Anyone using Dashboard with C3D?  Is it useful?  It didn't seem all that useful to me, so I just shut it off, but would it be worth exploring...?

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 05:01:30 PM »
As a side note, LEGACYCTRLPICK must be set to 0 for Civil-3D 2008.

If you set it to 1, there is no way to select labels, thanks to Autodesk's extremely-user-unfriendly new implementation of labels.

I haven't really tried using Dashboard yet.  Anyone using Dashboard with C3D?  Is it useful?  It didn't seem all that useful to me, so I just shut it off, but would it be worth exploring...?

I can't account for how it works in C3D but for me, I placed the 9 tool bars that I use onto it thus freeing up more screen real estate.  Plus if you use layer states then that is on there as well.  I like it.

sinc

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 05:50:39 PM »
I suppose maybe at some point, I'll try playing with it.  The default configuration wasn't useful, but it might be a different story with some customization.

That's going to be a while, though - too many other things on tap right now.

Dinosaur

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 06:18:00 PM »
I suppose maybe at some point, I'll try playing with it.  The default configuration wasn't useful, but it might be a different story with some customization.

The 2007 dashboard was worthless for 2007 C3D and could not really be customized.  I have played with it a bit in 2008 vanilla.  It is still worthless in the OOTB configuration for C3D, but you can customize the content this year and it is has much more potential.  I don't know if the Civil 3D tool bars can be placed there in 2008 like the standard tool bars, but if they can it would make a very handy flyout and free up a lot of screen real estate.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 07:37:08 PM »

The 2007 dashboard was worthless for 2007 C3D and could not really be customized.  I have played with it a bit in 2008 vanilla.  It is still worthless in the OOTB configuration for C3D, but you can customize the content this year and it is has much more potential.  I don't know if the Civil 3D tool bars can be placed there in 2008 like the standard tool bars, but if they can it would make a very handy flyout and free up a lot of screen real estate.

BTW: I did all my customization thru the CUI editor. Drag and Drop.  I drop the whole Layers II tool bar right on it.

daron

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 09:34:53 AM »
I haven't found too much use for the dashboard, but now that I have 2008, maybe I'll look into it a little more. What I do find useful is workspaces. As for LT, I've used it a number of times and can't believe that even in 2008 they still haven't given you an align command. What's up with that?

sinc

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2007, 09:57:23 AM »
I thought you knew...

Autocad LT = Autocad Limited

:wink: