Author Topic: 3dSolid lengths.  (Read 15568 times)

DaveW

Re: 3dSolid lengths.
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2007, 04:17:10 PM »
Looks good.

Dave, can you give me an example of the  volume being wrong, I just created a cube dimensioned below
100000        100000        100000       
and the answer 1E+15 is correct

Try this, it should come up wrong because it is not symmetrical AND not aligned to the WCS. I do not have any sort of debug code to see it anymore.

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2007, 04:33:01 PM »
That one works   vol =242.812500000004

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2007, 06:10:54 PM »
An easier way than making a db of sections Dave would be to have the user create their custom shapes' polyline while they are in the wcs with the correct orientation before extrusion or they could create a block lib of the polyline shape you could easily write a routine for them to produce the solids from adding the data on the fly.
This would enable the end user to have a library of 'any' profile possible and you can attach the data at creation time.

I do remember one drawback with xdata though, if you slice an object and 'keep both sides', only one side gets to keep the data! This could be overcome easily though, I used to have some modeling tools that were very handy and a lot quicker than using acad commands for most modeling (drilling and cutting at lines etc).

I've attached an arx and a picky to play with, works in 2006 but as it's win32 in should work in nearly any version, I'll leave it there for a day or two.
Usual warnings apply! It is still in beta.
"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
J.R.R. Tolkien

DaveW

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2007, 10:50:01 PM »
That one works   vol =242.812500000004

Not sure man. It seems I get the same info square to WCS or not on massprop. Not as many places as you, but close enough. Perhaps the routine my programmers used was different. I remember the side being 3 5/8" on a  funny rotation. I have heard and read about this issue from C++/ACAD programmers before that were very experienced. I just do not know enough about it to explain further. Sorry about that.

Mick, I will check it out soon. I have it downloaded. Thanks.

My code can handle this screw without issue:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 10:57:58 PM by DaveW »

DaveW

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2007, 11:04:55 PM »
I do remember one drawback with xdata though, if you slice an object and 'keep both sides', only one side gets to keep the data! This could be overcome easily though, I used to have some modeling tools that were very handy and a lot quicker than using acad commands for most modeling (drilling and cutting at lines etc).

I don't have the issue. Are you just talking about that world xdata code?

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2007, 11:25:57 PM »
Actually Dave, you're right. I just did a quick test on an old model and it was if I used 'separate' after doing a polyline cut through a beam say and I needed to turn the solid into 2 pieces, a slice worked fine.
"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
J.R.R. Tolkien