Author Topic: 3D crashing  (Read 11060 times)

Fish

3D crashing
« on: May 23, 2007, 02:07:20 PM »
Hey everyone, I was doing a 3D bridge drawing yesterday, not really huge when talking 3D, 4GB, but it kept crashing doing numerous tasks.  Different error messages also.  My boss told me to get more ram but I was leaning toward graphics card, my current system is non-impressive, what do you guys think?

Thanks

2.13 ghz
E6400 Core 2 Duo
1GB ram
Intel GMA 3000 Graphics Card

pmvliet

Re: 3D crashing
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 02:49:04 PM »
Your actual AutoCad  file is 4 Gig in size?
What type of 3D entities are you drawing?

I think with that size of a file open, you'd be reading/writing a lot to the harddrive.

I'd be curious to the type of error messages and I'd purge that drawing out
and see if that would be the file size lower...

Pieter

deegeecees

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 02:54:52 PM »
4GB! Wow, thats huge. I'd have to agree with your boss on that one, more RAM. I have 2GB RAM and when working on my largest file (11.5MB) I still get some choppiness and lengthened regen times. I'd also recommend a Graphics Card with at least 128MB on it.

Fish

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 04:14:48 PM »

Pieter

I have alot of 3d hardware in this drawing also with attributes for each and the lumber.  The drawing itself is not that complicated.

CADaver

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 07:15:50 PM »

Pieter

I have alot of 3d hardware in this drawing also with attributes for each and the lumber.  The drawing itself is not that complicated.
Gee, ever heard of blocks?
Maybe increase your virtual mem to max.

Strucmad

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 07:22:21 PM »

Just curious, what would you consider a huge size file.

Eric B.

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 01:16:09 PM »
Do you Xref??? This helps keep my file size smaller I can work on sections then Xref in to one file.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 01:31:29 PM »
Yikes!

I'm with the others... use blocks, use xrefs, and all other file-shrinking techniques (as well as streamlining modifications, etc)

4gig is huge if you only have 1gb ram... I would see that as the first problem, since Autodesk RECOMMENDS 2gb RAM MINIMUM for even DOING 3D work (and they typically undershoot the estimate, though in this case 2gb seems to have gotten most people by ok.)  for you though, you may want to take a leap into something a bit more... 4gb RAM or something... especially if your none-to-exceptionally-sized file is 4gb.

Man... I'm wondering what type of models you have that make it 4 GIGABYTES... I mean... I've done some of what I consider complex models and I've never topped 2gb...

You're not MODELING the limestone fill, are you ;)  just kidding.

Care to upload a sample?

Fish

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 02:04:22 PM »
My bad, sorry guys, 4mb not gb.

Blocks, hmmmm is this something new?

BTW we've ordered more ram and graphics card so maybe this will help my problem.

Thanks everyone

Josh Nieman

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 02:09:10 PM »
My bad, sorry guys, 4mb not gb.

Blocks, hmmmm is this something new?

BTW we've ordered more ram and graphics card so maybe this will help my problem.

Thanks everyone

WHEW!!  4MB... ok that's none too bad.  That's a whole different can of tuna though... your graphics card MAY have had something to do with it... it doesn't seem to be one of the recommended cards, though that's usually not something that is 100% reliable for troubleshooting.

I'd make sure your application isn't what's buggy... maybe a repair installation? 

Oh yea... and the day the hardware arrives and is installed, if the problem isn't solved... do a repair installation, clean up the computer tons, do all sorts of other stuff that might fix it... and do it the same day... that way if it isn't the hardware, and you fix the computer another way, you can act like it was the hardware, and that way when something goes wrong later on, you can always go "Well, more RAM and a better GFX Card helped last time!" and get new toys :p

Fish

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 12:16:15 PM »
I now have 2gb ram and a new video card, nvidia quadro fx 560 and it still crashes with a fatal error.  Do you guys experience alot of errors in 3D?  What about the fx powerdraft driver to accelerate 3D operations, would that help?

Thanks

Josh Nieman

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 12:19:35 PM »
I now have 2gb ram and a new video card, nvidia quadro fx 560 and it still crashes with a fatal error.  Do you guys experience alot of errors in 3D?  What about the fx powerdraft driver to accelerate 3D operations, would that help?

Thanks

What are you doing when it crashes?  Are you noticing a pattern off when it crashes in relation to your actions?

Is this a file that is acceptable for you to upload for one of us to examine?  Sometimes it takes gettin' in there and pokin' around to see what's out of place or odd that might have been overlooked or not known.

Does this happen for all files or just this bridge?

Fish

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 12:26:07 PM »
Right now its happening when I'm saving.  I just started this drawing and it was working fine.  My drawing includes attributes for each item, I don't know if that would have something to do with it.  I did a save as and that didn't help.  If I wblock'd it that might work but I'm not sure If I'll lose my groupings.  I'll try.

Fish

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 12:29:29 PM »
Okay, I just wblock'd it and so far so good but I lost all my groupings, thats not good!! :x :realmad:

Josh Nieman

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 12:31:04 PM »
Are you using any external programs, applications, or custom written scripts/routines for grouping and attribute attachment/processing?

Fish

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2007, 12:33:50 PM »
Are you using any external programs, applications, or custom written scripts/routines for grouping and attribute attachment/processing?

Thats a negative.  I just did some purging, not really alot to purge though, but we'll see how that goes.

Fish

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 12:37:33 PM »
Purging didn't work....................... :pissed:

Josh Nieman

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2007, 12:42:41 PM »
Sorry to say that there is no magic "button" that you have to push for a non-crashing operation of the application, but that'd be nice.

I simply don't have the knowledge to be able to remote-troubleshoot past what clues I'd get from the questions asked here.  Sorry.

Fish

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2007, 12:46:04 PM »
Thanks for the try Josh, have you installed service pack 2 for 2007?  Maybe I should do that, haven't installed service pack 1 either.  Thanks.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2007, 12:55:32 PM »
You should always install the SPs!!!

I'm using 2008 though.

Fish

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2007, 01:02:00 PM »
Thanks Josh thats what I'm gunta do. :wink: