Author Topic: PC3 & CTB plotter configuration files (Pros and cons)  (Read 5216 times)

terrycadd

PC3 & CTB plotter configuration files (Pros and cons)
« on: May 14, 2007, 06:31:32 PM »
What are your preferences relating to plotting with PC3 & CTB plotter configuration files?  We do most of our work in house, and also have to plot drawings from other sources.  They generally come in from engineering firms, as a proposed project for a quote.  So we can’t get picky with asking them to conform to our layers and color conventions.  Also emailing them to send us their plotter configuration file is not an option that we want to consider.  Some times we are asked to plot them on B-size up to D-Size to fit.  I created a Generic.ctb file which plots all layer colors light but readable. 

Is creating and using a CTB file more universal and easier to work with than a PC3 file?

Strucmad

Re: PC3 & CTB plotter configuration files (Pros and cons)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 06:44:58 PM »
Terry I work for an engineering firm, when I give out files for others to plot I always attach
a .ctb file, otherwise they will just ring and annoy me.  If I have to print other peoples
with out their .ctb or .stb I just use monochrome setting, seems to work, as long as its
not for drawings being issued.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 07:02:44 PM »
What are your preferences relating to plotting with PC3 & CTB plotter configuration files?  We do most of our work in house, and also have to plot drawings from other sources.  They generally come in from engineering firms, as a proposed project for a quote.  So we can’t get picky with asking them to conform to our layers and color conventions.  Also emailing them to send us their plotter configuration file is not an option that we want to consider.  Some times we are asked to plot them on B-size up to D-Size to fit.  I created a Generic.ctb file which plots all layer colors light but readable. 

Is creating and using a CTB file more universal and easier to work with than a PC3 file?

Terry,
I am a bit confused by your last question.  please Correct me (or anyone FTM) if I misunderstood you.

A CTB file is different than PC3 file.  A PC3 file is just Windows plotter driver with custom settings.  It has nothing to do with a the CTB file (or STB file) which looks at just the color of the layers and plots line weight thickness (just one thing) by color.  For instance; our ctb is set up so all 256 colors are set to 7 different pen widths. 

As for emailing the CTB to and from your consultants, you should ask for it up front in your proposal.  If you are paying them for a product then you get the product in a fashion that gives little or no work to configure it so you publish it.   Plus it makes things much more easier to read and understand your consultants thinking than what an monochrome or and all-pen-whatever.  I have never been happy with all-pen-whatever plots.

We don't ask our consultants to comply to our standards with the exception of our title block.  some choose to use our title block with their logo some where in the title block.  They take our title block and modify the layers to suit their CTB files.  Just so long as it close to our pen weights we don't care.

I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

sinc

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 08:18:21 PM »
The eTransmit command will automatically include your .CTB or .STB file when it creates the archive.

It can also include the .PC3, but this is usually worthless, since we rarely have the same plotter as the other firm.

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 08:24:40 PM »
Here are some good links from Mike:

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=3024.0

PS STB rules 8-)
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

Strucmad

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 08:44:24 PM »
The eTransmit command will automatically include your .CTB or .STB file when it creates the archive.

Thats bloody fantastic, I actually learned something today :-D

This site is addictive

terrycadd

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 10:37:36 AM »
Thanks for all your input.  This question came up here at work and I was not sure of how to answer it.  Three of us worked for the same company using AutoCAD 2000i and plotting with PC3 files.  The new company we work at now uses AutoCAD 2006 and plots with CTB files.  Both companies have a printer for A & B size, and a plotter for C & D size. 

Everything here seems to be plotting fine, so I didn’t think too much about rather we should use PC3 or CTB files for plotting.

Thank you all for your information, leads and responses.

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 11:05:29 AM »
Terry,
The PC3 files are strictly for defining the plotter & have nothing to do with the CTB or STB files.
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

Didge

• Bull Frog
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 11:25:01 AM »
My organisation tends to avoid any plotter dependent settings, we try to draught for Acad's standard "Acad", "Monochrome" and/or "Greyscale" modes.

We've found that PC3's and CTB's frequently get seperated from their associated DWG's, especially when other staff email DWG's without consulting the CAD staff. 

The end result is our carefully crafted drawings coming out of another plotter looking terrible. Sadly it's always percieved to be the original draughtsman at fault.  :-(
Think Slow......