Author Topic: Opinions!!! Keep them to yourself...  (Read 108800 times)

t-bear

Opinions!!! Keep them to yourself...
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2004, 01:32:57 PM »
The sleeper awakes......and speaks.......intelligently!

(his spelling leaves a lot to be desired)

I too agree whole-heartedly.

Dent Cermak

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2004, 01:35:10 PM »
among other things

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2004, 01:41:51 PM »
LOL you mean a spill chicker
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2004, 03:13:03 AM »
I'm not sure I understand this thread. Heck I'm not sure I understand most threads. Anyway ...

I believe a CADD Standard, particularly an in-house standard, must be able to stand up to scrutiny by the folks that use it day in, day out, and feedback should be encouraged. Heck -- you might have missed something.

However, the law is the law -- violations must be flagged and there must be some form of discipline, lest cowboys that insist on blazing their own trails ride right over you without fear of reprisal.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2004, 08:30:56 AM »
Trail blazers are the backbone of any progress, should we try to quell that?

CADaver

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2004, 08:46:56 AM »
Quote from: MP
I'm not sure I understand this thread. Heck I'm not sure I understand most threads. Anyway ...

I believe a CADD Standard, particularly an in-house standard, must be able to stand up to scrutiny by the folks that use it day in, day out, and feedback should be encouraged. Heck -- you might have missed something.

However, the law is the law -- violations must be flagged and there must be some form of discipline, lest cowboys that insist on blazing their own trails ride right over you without fear of reprisal.
Very true.  We have several procedures (both formal and informal) in place for feed-back, and I demand it from the design leads.  Our standards are strict, compliance is not an option, it's required.  If you have a better way, we'll talk, but in the mean time, you'll adhere to the published standard and there are repercussions for failure to do so.  

You guys only get to see my sweet, congenial, tactful side.  It's really not pretty :horror: when I have to stay late to repair some "cowboy's" file :choke: to bring it into compliance. :rip:

Dent Cermak

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2004, 09:52:45 AM »
Cowboys are sent off into the sunset.

CADaver

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2004, 11:56:47 AM »
Quote from: Dent Cermak
Witha smokin' hole where their innards used to be......

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2004, 12:15:57 PM »
Quote from: Dent Cermak

Or "strung up"!
I drink beer and I know things....

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2004, 05:56:24 PM »
Or they end up takin' you out cause you are inpertinent

daron

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2004, 09:12:51 AM »
Okay people, thread-jackers and others, all I was trying to say is that it seems that many of the topics started here come off as YOU should set YOUR standards the way MINE are. All I was hoping to do was to curb this and hopefully set a better tone to something more like: "This is what I use for creating blocks" or "These are the layers my company uses. What are your's like?" I almost think that Dent's words fit what I was trying to say.

CADaver

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2004, 11:02:34 AM »
Quote from: Daron
Okay people, thread-jackers and others, all I was trying to say is that it seems that many of the topics started here come off as YOU should set YOUR standards the way MINE are. All I was hoping to do was to curb this and hopefully set a better tone to something more like: "This is what I use for creating blocks" or "These are the layers my company uses. What are your's like?" I almost think that Dent's words fit what I was trying to say.
Come on guys, if everyone starts agreeing with Dent, there'll be no living with him.

Sorry, I'm psycologically pre-disposed to thread-jacking.  I agree with "him", too.

daron

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2004, 08:58:47 AM »
Thread jacking's okay as long as the initial point or question has been solved or gets solved somewhere along the way and not forgotten.

BREZI

Re: Opinions!!! Keep them to yourself...
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2006, 11:52:03 AM »
Daron you are right about opinions.

BUT

CAD stanadrds are about what is written for that company, and opinions have nothing to do with it, you should do what your are told, and stick what the manual says.

We have cad forums once a year where we all discuss CAD and the standards and agree ways forward, this is where our opinions come out, and stay. Once the standards are agreed that's it you work to them.

as for layer 0 & bylayer, there are good reason to things this way. the rules obviously can be bent for special occations, i.e don't make a layer for a single line that is maybe a different linetype. And layer 0 is there for a purpose to make blocks on layer 0, so when you insert them, they take the properties of the layer you inserted them on.

Ive lost count of the amount of drawings I have worked on where everything is on layer 0 and the properties have been changed. This is why these kind of rules are set up.

I have been in CAD for 16 years, and I have now wrote 4 CAD manauls for most disciplines of engineering. In that time I have learned that there is usually 3 or 4 ways of doing something in CAD, and all work, and all are correct, you just have to us ethe 1 that suits your or your company best.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
Re: Opinions!!! Keep them to yourself...
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2006, 12:09:35 PM »
Brezi -

You missed the point of Daron's first and last post.  He's talking about on this forum (the swamp), not within a company.

Basically what he's saying is that the standards I use in my company are not necessarily the best for your company and I shouldn't push it on you that they are.