Author Topic: Opinions!!! Keep them to yourself...  (Read 108763 times)

BREZI

Re: Opinions!!! Keep them to yourself...
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2006, 04:40:42 AM »
I understood fine, but I just thought I should put my opinions on.  :-D

Seriously, I did get it, just wanted to expand on it a wee bit.

Also I think the rules about bylayer and layer 0, are not opinions they are the basis for any cad standards, and if you don't have them in, then your cad standards are not worth the paper they are wrote on.

Jim Yadon

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2006, 10:53:22 PM »
Standards are a funny thing. First off, they are subject to perspective. Second off, they are meant as a starting point. They are not rules or laws but standards. This gives us a starting point or common frame of reference for a team of people from various backgrounds and experience levels to come in behind someone else and pick up a piece of work and carry it on. Each job in our various disciplines has standard accepted practices. These vary from company to company and region to region. I have no personal experience with jobs in other countries, but I'd veture to say that there are even differences there as well. The point is that when you are new to a specific project or job position within a company, you start out with the standards. We all come accross things that will not fit neatly into those standards. This is where we diverge a bit. Most often, out of habit, we will blend that variance into that standard. Not because we are really thinking about it but because it's easier to deal with it. It's also easier to communicate with our co-workers in regards to it. I've worked on teams with 15 people all drawing in there own little ways. When anyone else tried to work on something that someone else had put together, it was a nightmare to follow. Other jobs I've been in have people drawing to such a rigid set of standards that they may as well have been called laws. Deviation from them was taboo. Any way you look at it, it's all subjective. Just like the work that most of us do. If we are true profeesionals who are trying to better ourselves in our craft, it will not matter if you can or cannot modify the PG file or load your own LISPs and menus or control your line weights with polylines instead of by color. What matters is that you can communicate the product you are trying to document for others to use effectively.

This is all just my opinion though so don't take it personally or I'll have to bash you over the head with an empty beer bottle.  :evil: Because that is my standard way of telling you to snap the f*** out of it.

BREZI

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2006, 11:53:17 AM »
good one!  :kewl:

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2006, 12:02:52 PM »
Also I think the rules about bylayer and layer 0, are not opinions they are the basis for any cad standards, and if you don't have them in, then your cad standards are not worth the paper they are wrote on.

Who's rules are they?

BREZI

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2006, 04:41:31 AM »
Layer 0, is specifically used in AutoCAD for creating blocks, I think it's in the AutoCAD manual.

Of course you can draw whatever you like on layer 0, but have you ever tried making sense of a drawing where everything in on layer 0 and the properties have been changed, it's a nightmare.

Im sorry but anybody that draw's in CAD like that want's put away for life.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2006, 11:06:51 AM »
Layer 0, is specifically used in AutoCAD for creating blocks, I think it's in the AutoCAD manual.

Of course you can draw whatever you like on layer 0, but have you ever tried making sense of a drawing where everything in on layer 0 and the properties have been changed, it's a nightmare.

Im sorry but anybody that draw's in CAD like that want's put away for life.

Well put me away for life cause in DataCAD we draw like that.  We then move them to other layers, but still a lot of people start out on a base layer.  BTW - we don't have to have a 0 layer.  I happen to like having one.

BREZI

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2006, 05:45:33 AM »
What kind of drawings do you do?

I honestly think it makes life harder doing it your way. Okay maybe this is just an opinion.? :?

Everybody I know that does CAD, reckon not drawing bylayer and drawing on layer 0, is almost as bad as an electrician wiring life to nuetral.  :-D :pissed: :realmad:

Davie J

• Mosquito
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2006, 06:35:00 AM »
Well put me away for life cause in DataCAD we draw like that.  We then move them to other layers, but still a lot of people start out on a base layer.  BTW - we don't have to have a 0 layer.  I happen to like having one.

If you keep a drawing with a load of standard blocks in the relevant layers and use these for inserting into whatever your working on layer 0 need never be used except for creating blocks and such.

Don't think Ive used layer 0 for anything else since Release 9.

Don't get what you mean about "we don't have to have a 0 layer" would be kinda hard to purge it I imagine :-D
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 06:45:51 AM by Asha'man Jay »
I say we take off and nuke the map from orbit :)

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2006, 09:24:00 AM »
Hrm...

DataCAD does not have a standard Layer named 0 or Default as I believe AutoCAD does.  I have not used AutoCAD in quite a few years so I'm not sure any longer.

You can have any entity on a layer and you can change entity color as you wish.

Slimİ

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2006, 10:47:32 AM »
Looks like "Standards" are based upon the program, type of work, personal (management) preference, etc.
I drink beer and I know things....

Dent Cermak

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2006, 10:05:38 PM »
"DATA CAD"? tee hee hee  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

BREZI

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2006, 06:37:23 AM »
Hrm...

DataCAD does not have a standard Layer named 0 or Default as I believe AutoCAD does.  I have not used AutoCAD in quite a few years so I'm not sure any longer.

You can have any entity on a layer and you can change entity color as you wish.

Apologies, I thought everybody was using AutoCAD!

CAD standards also depend on the package being used.

I have never even heard of datacad, in scotland that is a comapny used to do training for AutoCAD.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2006, 03:03:13 PM »
"DATA CAD"? tee hee hee  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Dude!

I hear more people that USE AutoCAD that bitch about AutoCAD then people that use DataCAD bitch about DataCAD.  For such a "great" program, it's users sure do like to complain about it.

CADaver

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2006, 04:38:19 PM »
For such a "great" program, it's users sure do like to complain about it.
Some folks just like to complain.  I hear the complaints all the time, but when you corner 'em about the real problem, it usually boils down to lack of training, poor equipment, or just stubbornness.

An example, I hear about AutoCAD crashing all the time, blah, blah, blah.  Then I find out the guy's got a 6 year old P3 with 128k ram, running with ALL osnaps preset over 15 XREF's with shademode set to gouraud in 4 viewports during a 3dorbit... welll duh....  That's like complaining about my truck's performance while trying to tow the Lusitania without a trailer.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2006, 04:50:15 PM »
Touche'