Author Topic: Array Action Question  (Read 5486 times)

Barry Clark

Array Action Question
« on: May 07, 2007, 09:37:11 AM »
Hello, all.

I am having an issue with the Array Action in dynamic blocks that I am sort of lost in terms of a solution on.

Ok, I have a pipe hanger symbol. Along a main pipe, it has to be hung every 12' feet. So, I figured I would use an array action so that it would just copy in this hanger every 12' along a linear path. Well, it sorta worked. If I pulled the linear parameter down to.. say.... 13', you would expect to see two of these hangers: the original and then one 12' beyond. No... you just see the original. You have to stretch the parameter almost 24' to get the one at 12' to show. Any thoughts? I want the hangers to show as soon as the linear paramater is stretched beyond the 12' mark.

Thanks.

Kate M

Re: Array Action Question
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 12:22:24 PM »
Quote from: Help
When you edit the parameter in the block reference, the distance of the parameter (from base point to second point) is divided by the column offset to determine the number of columns (the number of objects).

So it doesn't round up.

It'd be nice if it could work the way you want it to, though...I have some blocks that could benefit from that.

Barry Clark

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 12:35:50 PM »
I am not sure it would be an issue of rounding up so much.... I mean.... if the parameter is such that every 12' an object is placed in array, it should do so instead of you having to go almost double the length of the columns' offset. Maybe there is just something I am missing in the parameters.

Barry Clark

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 12:40:08 PM »
I just did it the cheating way. I set the parameter back from the source 12' and it works the way I want it to.

Kate M

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 12:43:38 PM »
Not a bad idea...I should try that.

What I meant about the rounding was that if your column offset is 12', and your parameter distance is 23', you get (23/12 = 1.92) one instance. You have to wait until (24/12 = 2) to get two.

Barry Clark

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 12:50:23 PM »
Oh, ok. I see what you are saying. It shouldn't include the source instance in this these cases.

Yeah, I put the start of the stretch point back 12' and had the "arrow head" on the object itself. When I did that, it gave the appearance that you pulled it 12'-6" and got two hangers when in reality the stretch is a total of 24'-6". The user just doesn't know that.

Kate M

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 05:30:28 PM »
Yeah, for a lot of cases, arraying by adding instead of dividing would make a lot more sense. Ah well, maybe some day.