Author Topic: Wood piling detail needed .. plus other info  (Read 2445 times)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Wood piling detail needed .. plus other info
« on: May 04, 2007, 07:05:58 PM »
I am in need of another detail ... something for wood pilings ... and some information regarding the strength of these piles.

TIA
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

CADaver

Re: Wood piling detail needed .. plus other info
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 07:16:51 PM »
Wood piling strengths will be determined by the soils report, and the soils consultant.

I have uploaded a few pile details here:
http://www.theswamp.org/screens/index.php?dir=cadaver/&file=Piles.dwg

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 07:30:37 PM »
thank you kind sir ... I should be able to get some valuable information from these drawings.

CADaver

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 10:26:29 PM »
thank you kind sir ... I should be able to get some valuable information from these drawings.
Hope it helps.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 10:39:04 PM »
Indeed it already has...

Only thing .. I am only in need of applying about 4000# per piling .. nothing like the 15 tons each as shown in the detail ... of course I will be contacting the soil folks some time next week to get the withdrawal friction loads I need for uplift .. I already have the downloads and soil capacities for those calculations.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 10:41:18 PM by Keith™ »

CADaver

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 11:12:13 PM »
Indeed it already has...

Only thing .. I am only in need of applying about 4000# per piling .. nothing like the 15 tons each as shown in the detail ... of course I will be contacting the soil folks some time next week to get the withdrawal friction loads I need for uplift .. I already have the downloads and soil capacities for those calculations.
If your loading is only 4kips per pile, you may not need piles at all for vertical support, unless the structure is being suspended above the soil or the soil bearing in the area is very low.  If piles are required, you should be able to get a refined pile design from your soils folks, shorter length, smaller diameter.  Bear in mind the loads on the posted drawing were determined by local soil conditions for that particular effort.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 11:16:43 PM »
soil bearing is pretty low ... and the pilings are probably going to be  3' > 6' depending upon how much we can rely upon the soil for friction. The problem is that the soil has been disturbed pretty deep .. we knew in advance we were in need of a soils engineer (plus the damned pipe clay at 8') that is the reason we have to go with piles and not a regular footing design.

Oh well ... such is my life

CADaver

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 12:32:29 AM »
soil bearing is pretty low ... and the pilings are probably going to be  3' > 6' depending upon how much we can rely upon the soil for friction. The problem is that the soil has been disturbed pretty deep .. we knew in advance we were in need of a soils engineer (plus the damned pipe clay at 8') that is the reason we have to go with piles and not a regular footing design.

Oh well ... such is my life
Yuck, with the pipe clay at eight feet, have the soils guy investigate drilled shaft concrete piles.  They are more expensive each, but you may need a lot fewer.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 09:44:31 AM »
unfortunately, due to the location of the property and association regulations the pilings cannot be concrete.

Bob Garner

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 11:06:30 AM »
How about pin piles?  Steel pipe, 6" or 8" or so, driven to bearing.  Ask your geotech.

Bob

CADaver

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 11:35:14 AM »
unfortunately, due to the location of the property and association regulations the pilings cannot be concrete.
Your soils guy may be an excellent source for options, along with steel pipe pin options you may wish to investigate helical micro-piles as well, such as those provided by AB Chance. They are excellent for resisting uplift and have fair bearing capacities, their advantages include speed of installation, and are much more noise-friendly than driven piles.

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2007, 09:33:56 AM »
Keith,
Here is an option to consider.
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 11:18:17 AM »
Keith,

you might want to ask about cellular concrete mat under short spread footings.  We used this Rheocell 30 product to float a 39,000 sq ft (foot print) car dealership over clay.  The home depot next door was sitting on over 11 miles worth of steel piles.  It was a major cost savings to go with 30" thick mat over piles.   However, there will/could be some minor settlement depending on conditions.  as others have mentioned you soils guy can say yes or no to this.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans